tropical / salt fish ?

best of luck with the RO unit. Ro wastes water at the rate of 5-1. i only hope , for the sake of the rest of us, you have a water meter. Its also not to good for you if you drink it, so has only one use.

fook the rest of you lol.....

No serious i will be doing 80% changes over 1 month (20% a week) and the shit that it spits out goes back to them anyway ;) and according to my neighbour who has some marine fish said that our water is pretty good and will not be 5-1 more like 2.5-1.

I read that they can be kept single's in a 15 gallon.

I want to go for gobies anyway i seen sone fantastic little ones that bury in the sand :)

Wanted to buy some RO water while i wait for my machine to come and bloody hell its 5 quid for 5 gallons and they want 10 quid for a container lmao.... fook off!

PS you can use RO to clean your windows and to my mrs that was the main selling point LMAO!

sorry to jump in on your thread pal got a ?? i am going to be movingnext year so will it be worth setting up a marine tank or will i just wait till i move ,is it more hassle than its worth any good places to buuy equipment

mike

No serious i will be doing 80% changes over 1 month (20% a week) and the shit that it spits out goes back to them anyway ;) and according to my neighbour who has some marine fish said that our water is pretty good and will not be 5-1 more like 2.5-1.

I want to go for gobies anyway i seen sone fantastic little ones that bury in the sand :)

Wanted to buy some RO water while i wait for my machine to come and bloody hell its 5 quid for 5 gallons and they want 10 quid for a container lmao.... fook off!

PS you can use RO to clean your windows and to my mrs that was the main selling point LMAO!

yep, RO is used in window cleaning. by the lazy. no streaks!!! needs way less detergent to do any given area. but using a water softener will do the same, and you get one gallon of that for one gallon of tap water. RO needs 5 gallons of water to make 1. it is pretty well a must for Marine tanks though.

as for keeping the Clown in 15 gallons, i would ask you not to! a 15 gallon tank is tiny to a 5-7 inch fish, and if it survives, it will get that big. but if you decide to go ahead, i will do everything i can to help!

I've never heard of an RO (Reverse Osmosis) unit before, and was wondering if it'd be any good for my set-up.

I'm going to be starting up my freshwater tropical tank again, but the water quality in my area is atrocious (high in ammonia & very acidic)

Previously when my tank was set up, I had to get my water from my parents house, as all my stock ended up keeling over.

I've got a 180L tank with an external Fluval 305 (it shifts 710 LPH), it does a great job of keeping the water in good condition. It's the water in my house which is the problem, and I detest throwing in all these chemicals the spotty faced oik in the pet shop advises.

Would an RO unit allow me to fill up directly out of the tap & what is needed to maintain the unit, how often, & how much £££'s?

Cheers.

boboboy i will not be getting any clown fishes, i am not a cruel person.

As i said i have seen some fantastic gobies that have really strange colours and i think i can have maybe 4 -5 of them ;).

Anyway that will be a long way off i am going today to the local shop well its about 10 miles away but its a massive marine shop and i will get some test kits and some live sand ready for when the tank comes.

@ seedyrom RO water is great for all fish but from what i have read its a must have for marine fish and to be honest its like i will use 3 gallons a week so if waiste 15 lol i will just have to say i am sorry to the world now :(

@mike361 i could not tell you how difficult because my tank has not arrived yet :(.... and i think it takes sometimes a month for the tank to fully cycle with your live rock and your filteration system before you can even think about buying a fish or a clean up crew (crabs, snails, shrimps etc).

Cheers all look forward to the next input :)

try a nano m8 they are the dogs usually they are 24g us and you get some excellent results just do a google on 24g nano i have 1 and a 36" cube skimmer not always necsacery just do regualr water changes as the solution to polution is dilution look after the water and the tank will look after it,s self

here is a pic of my nano also a pic of my cube still maturing atm also do lots a reading on the subject

lg14.jpg

as you can see i dont kee many fish in it mostly corals and inverts shrimps etc

next pic is of my cube still maturing it now

reef1.jpg

btw the nano,s are about £200 plus live rock etc this 1 cost me about £700 with everything its not a cheap hobby

if you need any relevent links to reef forums i will post them for you if you want also many a good deals on ebay for complete set ups but you do need to do some homework on the subject cos with marine tanks bad things happen fast

oops did not read the end of the thread you have a tank comming but if you need any advice m8 just ask

Last edited:
boboboy i will not be getting any clown fishes, i am not a cruel person.

@ seedyrom RO water is great for all fish but from what i have read its a must have for marine fish and to be honest its like i will use 3 gallons a week so if waiste 15 lol i will just have to say i am sorry to the world now :(
Good news on the Clowns!!!!!!!

in truth, in the UK, there is no rhyme or reason to use RO, for fresh water fish. even down south, discus keepers are using normal tap water!!

attitudes change over time, two years ago people would never have thought that RO was anything but vital in keeping sensitive, "read" soft/blackwater, fish. now things have changed. people are now starting to advise against its use!

common excuses for using it were:

excess nitrates
excess Ammonia
very hard water all of which can be treated in other, less wasteful and costly ways.

Ammonia is the easiest one to deal with. The first stage bacteria in your filter eat Ammonia. so after your cycle, the ammonia in the water will have been eaten by these bugs. as the standard water change is around 25%, even after a water change the Ammonia level will not rise too high. and the filter will develop a larger colony to deal with the added food. so in effect, the problem solves itself. in effect, its not, actually, a problem at all!

Nitrates are a bit of a sod. in really high areas. a Nitrate converter can be used. once up and running, these things keep the Nitrate Levels at 0. there are two kinds of converter, both cost, roughly, the same as a small RO unit £50-100.

one uses sulphur to convert the Nitrates to Sulphuric acid, then an Alkaliser (often oyster shells) to convert the acid to clean water.
the second type uses bacteria in a sealed container, these eat the nitrates and give out nitrate clear water.

hard water is simple to soften, but a sod to keep where you want it. but using peat as part of your filtration is very good. tannins given off by bog wood, almond or oak leafs will all help.

As for RO, using pure un cut RO in your fresh water tank will do great damage to your fish. so it needs cut with tap water and also the minerals the filter took out will need replaced. its costly, both to set up and to run. unbelievably wasteful. something to remember when considering a RO unit is the small print. all makers state that the water filtered through their units, must be safe for use, prior to filtering. RO units are bad with organic and biological water content. on occasion bacteria make it through the membrane. in these cases the water the filter gives out is extremely dangerous. a solution of H2O and bactria.

I dont know where you get your ro water from but i,ll sell you some of mine £1.50 for 5 gallons with a TDS of 0 thats total disolved solids

Also clowns can be kept in nano,s no problems they even breed

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sVe-g_hocw&feature=related]YouTube - My Orca Fish Tank[/ame]

usefull link

http://www.nano-reef.com/articles/?article=1

Last edited:
you can keep fish in anything, it does not mean its good for them!!!

Having a look around the forums you cannot help but notice the number of posts that are little more than old wives tales.

Live rock ratios, who decided on them ?

Compatibility, mixing tangs being one of the most common, utter rubbish.

Water changes, how did such arbitrary figures become 'the norm'.

Reefsafe / not reefsafe, its too sweeping a statement.

Additives, it's safer to use lfs/branded products over generic, nonsense !

I read one yesterday that had me seething, copperbands and mandarins should be left in the sea. Get a grip, with todays high protein feeds and modern reefing methods they're about as hard to keep long term as a tang.

I actually went to a shop yesterday and looked at the tank i have coming and i am a little disapointed lol... should of gone for a 90 litre nano :(

I do agree with boboboy i think its a little to small for a clown fish if they can get to 8inch's i think one could be ok in 15 gallons but they need to be in pairs i am told ?

Not even got the tank yet and a little disapointed lmao.... but i have been looking at these betta lifestyle 1300 they are fantastic tanks its either one of these or a custom built on i am not sure yet.

Thanks ramraider for the offer of water but i have a RO Unit on its way and should get it tomorrow if the email sent from the seller of right :)

One thing m8y how do i leave the RO unit making water but not overflow whatever its going into ?

Thanks all for the help

I actually went to a shop yesterday and looked at the tank i have coming and i am a little disapointed lol... should of gone for a 90 litre nano :(

I do agree with boboboy i think its a little to small for a clown fish if they can get to 8inch's i think one could be ok in 15 gallons but they need to be in pairs i am told ?

Not even got the tank yet and a little disapointed lmao.... but i have been looking at these betta lifestyle 1300 they are fantastic tanks its either one of these or a custom built on i am not sure yet.

Thanks ramraider for the offer of water but i have a RO Unit on its way and should get it tomorrow if the email sent from the seller of right :)

One thing m8y how do i leave the RO unit making water but not overflow whatever its going into ?

Thanks all for the help

you need a water butt got mine from wilko,s £14.99 for a 227litre one

as for the overflow bit you cant really only turning it off unless you have some float devise to turn it off more money lol or google ro man also always keep the ro unit connected to the mains if the membraine dries out it,s fooked. And always check the tds most good ro units have a inline one

TBH for the ammount of water you are going to use per week maybe 5l of salt water for water change and maybe 2l plain ro for topping up . so if the have the 12g us nano by the time time you have put in live rock live sand etc you will only get about 30l if you are lucky in because of displacement

or are you going to clean a lot of windows ??

ATM my 2 tanks i use 60l salt water and 40l plain ro per week and mine is a 50g per day but you will never get that from a 5o g unit

Anyway good luck which ever way you go cos the 1 you buy , by the time you get home and set up and you will say to yourself wish i,d got the bigger one

My 24g i reckon iv,e spent over £700 on it

So i should fit a valve at the output end then so it always stay full of water when i turn it off ?

And i plan to get a really big tank in the new year so it will come in useful but yes it is really over kill at the moment lol.

Also could i buy a water butt and have the pipe go through the wall so the butt is in my garden ? would it be a problem in the outside ?

Thanks mate

Regards
Mickie D

So i should fit a valve at the output end then so it always stay full of water when i turn it off ?

And i plan to get a really big tank in the new year so it will come in useful but yes it is really over kill at the moment lol.

Also could i buy a water butt and have the pipe go through the wall so the butt is in my garden ? would it be a problem in the outside ?

Thanks mate

Regards
Mickie D

my ro unit and the water butt are outside well i say outside in a old outside loo but it,s still well cold in there in the winter i dont have any problems but in the winter ro units do slow down because of tempurature but i have never found it an issue

output valve you will find what you need here as you are in the building trade you will know what you are looking for here www.RO-MAN.com Reverse Osmosis Systems, RO systems in UK look under faq/q&a

Having a look around the forums you cannot help but notice the number of posts that are little more than old wives tales.

Live rock ratios, who decided on them ?

Compatibility, mixing tangs being one of the most common, utter rubbish.

Water changes, how did such arbitrary figures become 'the norm'.

Reefsafe / not reefsafe, its too sweeping a statement.

Additives, it's safer to use lfs/branded products over generic, nonsense !

I read one yesterday that had me seething, copperbands and mandarins should be left in the sea. Get a grip, with todays high protein feeds and modern reefing methods they're about as hard to keep long term as a tang.

interesting. it seems if you don't agree with something, you call it an old wives tale, and ignore it. which is fine, but not the best advice to give a starter. as for your "wives tales":

the ratio of live rock, 1.25-1.75 ib per gallon. as live rock is "alive" its ability's vary. but its about the amount of rock needed to remove 5ppm(ish) ammonia in under 12 hours. simple and scientific. how is it worked out? well surly that is obvious!

now interested in Tangs, so cant help here.

water changes, a contentious issue at the moment. i find a 25% per week keeps my nitrates low enough, some find more or less does the trick. so you take an average of the changes, commonly used, and that becomes the norm. it may not be 100% accurate, but its a good safe place to start.however here are far more benefits to changing water than just removing nasty waste

Reef safe or not. its an arbitrary opinion. but surly the experience of others has to be taken into account? if a fish is listed as "reef safe", it simply means, on the whole, they do not cause problems. it does not mean they wont cause problems. fish and inverts have different personality's, just like us.

gota agree on the stuff from the LFS though. i would never dream of buying anything but equipment and fish from an LFS. everything else is available elsewhere for far less, and often, at better quality. this is a view shared by all my more experienced acquaintances.

I'd better leave the "leave in the sea" comment, as because only Clowns can be bred in captivity, all the rest of our Marine stock is wild caught. this IMHO is wrong, so i don't keep them. i am aware that some Tropical's are wild caught. but none i have bought except when i first started are. incidentally, i have no problems with others doing it, i, personally, wont.

Fishkeepers, as a group, are, ERR, resistant to change. this is not one of my failings though. attitudes do change, but slowly. this is not surprising, especially when you consider the cost of the stock some of us keep.

folks any good sites to use for buying a tank and all the setup for a marine tank i`v kept tropical fish for years but i have been thinkng of going for a marine tank for a while thanks

mike

folks any good sites to use for buying a tank and all the setup for a marine tank i`v kept tropical fish for years but i have been thinkng of going for a marine tank for a while thanks

mike

where do you live then we will find a good 1 near you

Right i fitted the RO unit today without any hassle.

There was supposed to be DI resin but there is none so it is going through without it at the moment (3 other filters).

Also how do i use this little hand held meter ? what is the reading supposed to be for the water when its good i know the first 5 gallons you need to let go and then flush the system.

Can someone also tell me because its not very clear in the instructions but there is a close and open valve on the green pipe is that the flush valve ?

And also to turn it off do i twist the main water thats coming in to the closed position ?

Thanks allot people

@ Mickie, It'd be a great idea to keep this thread going, and update us when you can.

It'll be a great help to the rest of us thinking about starting a reef tank.

I've always wanted to keep a tropical marine tank, but have kept delaying it due to cost, time etc.

If poss, could you keep a diary with pics of your progress?

There's nothing nicer than having a well maintained reef tank in your living-room.

(Well apart from a couple of Swedish twin sisters with a penchant for black-currant jam & baby oil, but her indoors draws the line at that) :(

Wishing you many happy fish-keeping years.
Me.

Back