To Chip or Not to Chip?

Zoom7000

Inactive User
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting my PS2 chipped, however, my friend told me that it doesn't need to be chipped, I just need to get a Netowrk Card Adaptor (Got the old style PS2, Silver Model) and I can attach a hard drive to it and play games from there.

Is this true? Is there any soldering involved? Are there any guides on how to do it?

It's even easier than that mate, all you need is a swap magic boot disc.

All you do is insert the boot disc into your drive, let it boot up, remove the disc and put in your copy, press X and play the game.

Expect to pay about £17 including delivery.

Where can I get one of these? Is it possible to download it from the Internet? Also, is it possible to use these on the old style PS2? Not the slimline one?

Having said all that though, I am still interested in the the hard drive option. Is it possible without a mod chip?

Last edited:
Don't know much about the hard drive option but imo best option is the memory card with a specific ps1 Game and you will have no need for swap magic ,

I think you can use a usb stick and change it into a action replay to get the save file onto the memory card . then its just about getting your hdloader .elfs and so fourth

Basically the idea with this is you Have your save file with that specific ps1 game id on it , When the ps1 game loads it This triggers an exploit and you are able to load the dashboard for hdloader .

I'm a total n00b when it comes to PS2 mate, so I have no idea what you mean by hdloader and .elfs

Where can I get one of these? Is it possible to download it from the Internet? Also, is it possible to use these on the old style PS2? Not the slimline one?

Having said all that though, I am still interested in the the hard drive option. Is it possible without a mod chip?

You can't download it as you wouldn't be able to boot it as it's a copy!, lo

You can buy them on plenty of sites, just google it.

Sorry, I don't know much about the PS2 hard drive.

if your gonna go the hard drive root. youll need HD Advance cds, which are about £10/£15 i think. You put hard drive in and network adaptor, boot up using hd advance cd and select game off hard drive

swap magic will be the better option as with the HDadvance u also need a hard disk (obviously lol). so it works out cheaper and is easier. a 3 year old could do it.

Does swap magic work with the black ps2 my wife plays on it all the time and keeps asking me to chip it ?

Should do, but if you can chip it yourself then why not.

Tbh mate i've never even looked into modding a ps but a while ago i was talking to a mate who's done them and he said it was a fiddley job a bit like doing the atties on a cable box So i happened to see this thread and thought if its as simple as inserting a disc then i might give it a go Guess i should do some reading on the matter lol

We have a couple of ps2 chips in stock and as your in northants, you could collect if you need one.

i would say stick a chip init ..swop magic works but disks get scratched and soon become unreadable.....so a chip and the hard drive opition this will make the laser last longer as you only need to use the laser to load the games onto the harddrive ..

i would say stick a chip init ..swop magic works but disks get scratched and soon become unreadable.....QUOTE]

AAhh youll have the anti mod / pro swap magic peops saying that when the disk gets scratched get it resurfaced. haha
:Boo:

i would say stick a chip init ..swop magic works but disks get scratched and soon become unreadable.....QUOTE]

AAhh youll have the anti mod / pro swap magic peops saying that when the disk gets scratched get it resurfaced. haha
:Boo:

dont hav the swap magic ..but no some peeps that hav had them ..they hav been back to me for a hard wire chip install soon after... as swopping disks did there heads in .... had mine modded now for about 4 years my lad as battered it from day one and its still going strong ...v7 scph

Last edited:
I never use promote or have anything to do with swap magic.

swapping disks when the prompted dosnt cause premature failure of the heads.

Touching the lens, misalignment, user adjusting the pots without using proper equipment. causes failure of the coils.

On v9/10 and v12 modchips can cause the driver chips to go down.
I know I have lifted and replace enough of them.
Yes precautions can be taken like, slim fixs, and the v9/10 voltage fix.

Swap magic can cause problems with the tray mech and draw fronts and when the user touches the lens.

i use to have swap majic, if u hve patience and can be asked with swapping de disks thn its aite although it does scratch up ur disks. i in da end got my ps2 chipped, dnt cost much now and saves a lot of hassle and money.

I use hardrive avance 3.0 it seems a bit hard but once you've brought a hardrive,a network adapter and hardrive advance ur ready to BUT YOU DO REQUIRE THE FAT OLD PS2'S NOT THE NEWER SMALLER ONES: big crow

I would highly recommend the Network adapter for the chubby PS2 if you can get your hands on one.

The most difficult part is getting the files needed copied to your memory card, once this is done you just leave a PS1 game (Trigger Disk) in the drive and it will boot to HDL which will present you with a list of games ready to play.

Quicker loading time and no risk of scratching your original disks.

This is possible on the slim PS2 but a lot more involved search hdcombo

Hope external site links not a prob as I would recommend a read here:
http://www.console-exploits.com/forums/

Back