Tm5402, tm6902, tm7102

Astra 2 - quad LNB
Cable 1 direct -> Input 1 of Panasonic Freesat HDD recorder (which can't control Diseqc)
Cable 2 direct -> Input 2 of Panasonic Freesat HDD recorder (which can't control Diseqc)
Cable 3 -> Diseqc 1 -> Input 1 of TM 7102
Cable 4 -> Diseqc 2 -> Input 2 of TM 7102

Astra 1 - dual LNB
Cable 1 -> Diseqc 1
Cable 2 -> Diseqc 2

Hotbird - dual LNB
Cable 1 -> Diseqc 1
Cable 2 -> Diseqc 2

Diseqc 1 -> Input 1 of TM 7102
Diseqc 2 -> Input 2 of TM 7102

>>>>> This is all wrong

It should be :

Quad LNB Astra 2 = 2 cables Direct towards Panasonic = OK
Astra 1 TWIN, Diseqc 1 , 2 cables on 2 switches 2/1 diseqc port 1
Hotbird TWIN; Diseqc 2 , 2 cables on 2 switches 2/1 diseqc port2

TM7100 receiver :
Settings Twin LNB setup, diseqc 1.0
Astra 1 : diseqc port 1
Hotbird : diseqc port 2

From each switch there is only one cable coming that should be connected to Tuner 1 (sat) and Tuner 2 (sat).

There you go :)

I would ditch the panasonic recorder and use Two 4/1 diseqc switch.
Astra 1 : port 1
Hotbird : Port 2
Astra2 : port 3
and one port 4 that is left for future use.

Hi Wolftje and Thijss26

Thanks for this. Oh dear, this doesn't sound too promising! I need to more fully digest this at home tonight (draw myself a diagram) and was hoping to avoid an engineer coming to do rooftop work. I have a lengthy and complex (because well concealed) cable run from the roof at the front of the house to the living room kit at the back so really would like not to have to run any more cables...;-)

Perhaps, after more thoroughly working through your proposal, I need the engineer only to reconfigure the Diseqcs up top and existing 4 cables all stay in place. I may also have the precise LNB->Diseqc connections on the roof incorrectly described but did draw a diagram when they were fitted last year and thought I had it down right.

Not sure I follow why I should ditch the (pretty new, very good and £££) Freesat recorder as your proposal doesn't seem to provide a Freesat feed from A2. Yes I know I have the Freeview HD feed on the TM but the point of my upgrade was to provide capability to record two satellite channels as well as my existing capability to record two UK channels. I wouldn't want to go backwards (and it has taken a lot of patience and persuasion to tempt my wife onto the Freesat recorder from our old VHS).

Yes, drive is very hot - think Timeshift is already turned off but will check tonight.

Is it at all possible that the port sequence is wrong - notice you suggest Port 3 for Astra2, for example. The sequence was originally because the Diseqc'd cable went to the Freesat box and needed to default unpowered to A2. Now I'm running direct cables to it, the order of ports to LNBs is not an issue.

Thanks for your advice and guidance

The sequence does not realy matter as long as the order is the same on both
4 way switches as you are living in the uk maybe best to leave astra 2 on the first port so if "whenever "the 4 way switch get defected you will have astra 2 as by default.just think about twintuner both will have to look the same .
And as for ditching the freesat recorder you can leave this as long as its not looped with anything.And do'nt forget a fifth cable for your dtt or signal splitter this can split dtt signal and sat signal through on cable so you do'nt have to pull another cable .Take your time and think about what your doing and you'll get there "took me about half a day to get it running right" have fun goldnet

This will probably seem a stupid question to anyone who knows the answer. Is the DVB-T2 functionality achieved by additional hardware in the new boxes, or via alternative decoding of the terrestrial input via software? If it is the latter, would a TM6900 with a processor powerful enough to decode DVB-S2 potentially be able receive T2 via a software update?

The sequence does not realy matter as long as the order is the same on both
4 way switches as you are living in the uk maybe best to leave astra 2 on the first port so if "whenever "the 4 way switch get defected you will have astra 2 as by default.just think about twintuner both will have to look the same .
And as for ditching the freesat recorder you can leave this as long as its not looped with anything.And do'nt forget a fifth cable for your dtt or signal splitter this can split dtt signal and sat signal through on cable so you do'nt have to pull another cable .Take your time and think about what your doing and you'll get there "took me about half a day to get it running right" have fun goldnet

Already have my DTT cable running from rooftop aerial so, fortunately, no new 5th cable needed!

Think I'm beginning to understand this. My two Diseqcs each carry all three satellite feeds (2 for A2, 1 HB, 1A1). What the TM wants is each Diseqc carrying just the two feeds from each satellite (4 x A2, 2 x A1, 2 x HB on 3 diseqcs)... "By George, he's got it" - do I hear you say?!

It's all the more frustrating as the engineer supposedly set this all up for a twin tuner installation - it was only after connecting up the Panasonic that we realised it wouldn't 'do' diseqc switching so ought to have been a simple change of cables from one box to the other. But...

Thanks

hi
can you explain a bit more about your set up
i have four quad lnb's running at hotbird 13e+astra 19e+23.5+28.2east
and two 4 way diseq switches and the lnb's are connected the same order
and the box setup in twin and it's working perfect on my 7100

2. the internal hdd drive is very sensitive too overheating so make sure it's not in a inclosed space so it can stay as cool as possible

i can sometimes record five channels at the same time 'depending on transponders so i can see no reason ,unless your using single lnb's ,why this does not work for you the new chip their using in 7102 should even make it easier to work on cccam

Astra 2 - quad LNB
Cable 1 direct -> Input 1 of Panasonic Freesat HDD recorder (which can't control Diseqc)
Cable 2 direct -> Input 2 of Panasonic Freesat HDD recorder (which can't control Diseqc)
Cable 3 -> Diseqc 1 -> Input 1 of TM 7102
Cable 4 -> Diseqc 2 -> Input 2 of TM 7102

Astra 1 - dual LNB
Cable 1 -> Diseqc 1
Cable 2 -> Diseqc 2

Hotbird - dual LNB
Cable 1 -> Diseqc 1
Cable 2 -> Diseqc 2

Diseqc 1 -> Input 1 of TM 7102
Diseqc 2 -> Input 2 of TM 7102

>>>>> This is all wrong

It should be :

Quad LNB Astra 2 = 2 cables Direct towards Panasonic = OK
Hotbird TWIN; Diseqc 2 , 2 cables on 2 switches 2/1 diseqc port2

TM7100 receiver :
Settings Twin LNB setup, diseqc 1.0
Astra 1 : diseqc port 1
Hotbird : diseqc port 2

From each switch there is only one cable coming that should be connected to Tuner 1 (sat) and Tuner 2 (sat).

There you go :)

I would ditch the panasonic recorder and use Two 4/1 diseqc switch.
Astra 1 : port 1
Hotbird : Port 2
Astra2 : port 3
and one port 4 that is left for future use.

Hi Wolftje

I sat down to draw a cabling diagram tonight and realised what you say immediately above is exactly what I think I have set up - 2 x 4x1 diseqcs each of which has 1 connection from each satellite on the same port on each diseqc (although mine are actually connected in the order 1: A2, 2: A1, 3: HB).

Earlier in your post where you say:
Hotbird TWIN; Diseqc 2 , 2 cables on 2 switches 2/1 diseqc port 2

I had thought this meant both cables from the twin LNB on Astra 1 run to the first Diseqc (Diseqc 1) and both cables from twin LNB on Hotbird run to the second Diseqc. Like this:

..A1.............HB
..|.|............|.|
D No. 1.....D No. 2
...|..............|
..TM1..........TM2

But I got confused as A1, for example, can't have two connections to the first Diseqc which also go port 1, can they?! Also, if I add back Astra 2 : how could there be a third Diseqc making 3 cables to the TM, when it only has two tuner connections! So what I THINK you mean (and what I already have cabled) is:

...A1...............HB..............A2
...|.|.............|...|...........|....|
..D1...D2.......D1..D2........D1..D2 (Diseqc No.)
..1......1........2....2..........3....3 (Port Nos)
...................D1.....D2
....................|......|
..................Tun1.Tun2 (on TM)

Is that correct? If it is, either my connections at the dish aren't what I think they are or there is something wrong with my TM box (we know there is a problem with the HDD).

Here's hoping ... !

no goldnet you'r confusing yourself
1 feed of astra 2 to diseq switch 1 in port 1
1 feed of astra 1 to diseq switch 1 in port 2
1 feed of hotbirt 13 to diseq switch 1 in port 3
then the same order on diseq switch 2
1 feed of astra 2 to diseq switch 2 in port 1
1 feed of astra 1 to diseq switch 2 in port 2
1 feed of hotbird 13 to diseq switch 2 in port 3
then on cable running to tm from diseq switch 1 and one cable from switch 2
and then it should work perfect, i have my diseq swiches in the loft so they are easy to switch around or replace if i have to.
your diagram looks fine to me but then i was working nights so i could be wrong

Last edited:
Oh man :)

Well at least you are trying and i'm sure y'll figure it out.
Read carefully thijs his post.
Remark : didn't he want astra2 to be on diseqc port 1 ?

Don't forget he has to configure the technomate settings !

I have drawn it like the setup you are proposing

Maybe he should contact someone with a dish setup who can help him out ?

Last edited:
Re: Tm7102 recording 2 channels

Oh man :)

Well at least you are trying and i'm sure y'll figure it out.
Read carefully thijs his post.
Remark : didn't he want astra2 to be on diseqc port 1 ?

Don't forget he has to configure the technomate settings !

I have drawn it like the setup you are proposing

Maybe he should contact someone with a dish setup who can help him out ?

Hi Wolftje and Thijs

Thank you for your patience. Actually, reading your replies again this morning, I think we are all agreed on the cabling - my diagram and Wolftje's show exactly the same connections (apart from A2 going on port 1 rather than port 3 of the diseqcs) and Thijs says the diagram (which attempts to show the same as my second 0|o|0 drawing) looks right...

News from my dealer this morning is that Technomate claim the problem is a firmware issue and will be solved in the next patch they're releasing (106). Am waiting for him to confirm this deals with the recording off both tuners and the unrecognised HDD problem.

BTW an unofficial patch 105 came out last night to clear some channels that were in the last softcam key. Download center

Onwards and feeling a little more hopeful!

Hi Wolftje and Thijs

Thank you for your patience. Actually, reading your replies again this morning, I think we are all agreed on the cabling - my diagram and Wolftje's show exactly the same connections (apart from A2 going on port 1 rather than port 3 of the diseqcs) and Thijs says the diagram (which attempts to show the same as my second 0|o|0 drawing) looks right...

News from my dealer this morning is that Technomate claim the problem is a firmware issue and will be solved in the next patch they're releasing (106). Am waiting for him to confirm this deals with the recording off both tuners and the unrecognised HDD problem.

BTW an unofficial patch 105 came out last night to clear some channels that were in the last softcam key. Download center

Onwards and feeling a little more hopeful!
Quick update: TM reckon patch 106 might be around in a day or two... HDD problem appears to be wrong brand of HDD (Samsung has problem, Western Digital allegedly OK). We're going to check the patch when it arrives and then swap the drive.

Quick update: TM reckon patch 106 might be around in a day or two... HDD problem appears to be wrong brand of HDD (Samsung has problem, Western Digital allegedly OK). We're going to check the patch when it arrives and then swap the drive.

Goldnet do'nt be afraid to use the new Phantom patch in Download center i Use phantom patches all the time
these are there to get the most out off your box with a good broadband connection in the lan input of your box with card sharing or cccam if you want to know more about this just ask but have a good read of this thread first https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/189322/ I,m using this all the time to get premium channels this is what tm's are made for. when loading Phantom patch make sure to backup channel list first
and "flash" the box by "load original firmware first and do factory reset then load "patch" and factory reset then load "soft cam" "this should give you some free channels on astra 1+hotbird with the patch hack then there is an "addon"to load to the box,this will give you the "secret menu" when pressing "8281" after this download your channel list again
only of course if you feel good about this .

Last edited by a moderator:

Goldnet do'nt be afraid to use the new Phantom patch in Download center i Use phantom patches all the time
these are there to get the most out off your box with a good broadband connection in the lan input of your box with card sharing or cccam if you want to know more about this just ask but have a good read of this thread first https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/189322/ I,m using this all the time to get premium channels this is what tm's are made for. when loading Phantom patch make sure to backup channel list first
and "flash" the box by "load original firmware first and do factory reset then load "patch" and factory reset then load "soft cam" "this should give you some free channels on astra 1+hotbird with the patch hack then there is an "addon"to load to the box,this will give you the "secret menu" when pressing "8281" after this download your channel list again
only of course if you feel good about this .

Well, after a busy weekend, most of solution turned out to be pretty simple. The new 105 patch opens ORF and a few French channels for me.

The twin tuner problem turned out to be mislabelled cables among my five feeds off the roof (2 direct A2, 2 through Diseqc plus Aerial). Technomate's advice was to try them out one at a time - this showed that my primary feed to the TM was actually a direct to A2 only connection and my secondary feed was one of the Diseqc feeds. Swapping the A2 direct line for the other Diseqc connection enabled dual recording. My roof-top connections were thus correct all along saving an engineer visit to check them out or change anything.

I still can't watch a third satellite or different TP while the two tuners are recording but believe that is what the 106 patch Technomate is currently working on will provide. Read something similar happened with the 7100 when that came out.

Non-working HDD turned out to be a drive which draws too much current for the TM so overheats and shuts down. It works fine in a powered USB housing and is being replaced as the internal drive.

So, pretty much now fixed... or hope so once patch 106 arrives.

Thanks to everyone for support and encouragement

Last edited by a moderator:

I still can't watch a third satellite or different TP while the two tuners are recording but believe that is what the 106 patch Technomate is currently working on will provide. Read something similar happened with the 7100 when that came out.

hi goldnet
glad you got mostly sorted ,as far as i know you won't be able to watch a third sat. while two other sat.tuners are recording ,you should be able to watch same trp.allright and dtt ,because dtt is your third tuner.
rgds

Re: Tm7102 - recording Radio stations?

Hi guys

My 7102 now recording 2 channels OK. However, set a couple of timer programmes on the radio EPG last week and neither appeared in my list of recordings. Last night, set a TV and a radio recording to start within 5 mins of eachother - the video recorded OK but no sign of the radio.

Can the TM actually record the radio? Don't see why it shouldn't as there's a signal coming from the dish and even a dummy picture to capture.

Anyone else experience this problem or is it another feature I need to work out? Would appreciate hearing from anyone who has it working OK!
Thanks

Hey guys, first post here so bare with!!

I’ve just ordered a TM5402 and you lot seem to be the guru’s in these matters so I thought I’d throw a few questions at you.

1.What format do the recordings on the external HDD become? (.avi, .mp4)
2.Can other media files be on the HDD (mp3’s, jpg’s etc) and the record function still work?
3.Can I use a USB powered HDD? (No mains adapter)
4.Can the box do a “series link” type function similar to sky+?
5.Once I have set all the parameters in the 8281 Menu, will this last for a while or will I need to update the parameters daily/weekly/monthly?
6.The specs say it has a “channel list download via USB” function. Why would I need this?

Any tips would be very much appreciated.

Rob.

I’ve just ordered a TM5402 and you lot seem to be the guru’s in these matters so I thought I’d throw a few questions at you.

2.Can other media files be on the HDD (mp3’s, jpg’s etc) and the record function still work?
5.Once I have set all the parameters in the 8281 Menu, will this last for a while or will I need to update the parameters daily/weekly/monthly?
6.The specs say it has a “channel list download via USB” function. Why would I need this?

Rob.

Hi

I own a 7102 so not sure how much I can tell you about the 5402 but can offer the following:

1. Recordings are made as .trp files which are an adapted form of MPEG2. The 7102 records in 2GB chunks so for a long recording you get a .trp, an .001 and a .002 etc. You have to join these using a DOS command or something like HxD editor. I then open them in MPEG Streamclip and convert to .ts or .mpeg format. Can then be played or burned as regular files.

2. The HDD does take JPGs and MP3s but not sure how these inter-react with recordings. There is a File Manager menu which lets you view/play/manage these. Don't see why they should affect recording but haven't tried.

3. You can't use a USB-powered HDD as far as I know. An external USB HDD works fine. The 7102 takes an internal HDD - which needs to be one drawing very low power. Technomate can advise which models but I had problems with the Samsung supplied with the machine - instant overheating and cut-out. That disc works fine in an external powered housing and the Western Digital that replaced it is also fine internally.

4. Don't know - I've only ever set single programmes from the EPG. There's a daily/weekly setting but don't think it's intelligent (like my Panasonic Freesat recorder).

5. No knowledge of 8281 activities.

6. Once you have channels set and favourites etc programmed, you may not want to go through it all again when you do a factory reset after uploading the latest patches. You save and re-load your channel list then. This also lets you edit it within a channel editor on your PC rather than tediously through the remote. I've loaded patches via USB stick but if I recall correctly had to download and upload the channels over a serial cable.

Good luck...!

Rob.

1 the format is trp.files for the recordings on your tm
2 you can play other files and the new 5402 has a divix player too for avi.files
3 you can use a usb powered HDD
4 u can record serie linked but it has only one tuner so u can only watch same transponder at the same time not any other channel
5 8281 is for cccam or cardsharing client only
6 channel list down load is handy if you have to do factory reset
so you don't have to scan all your channels again.
hope this helps

1 the format is trp.files for the recordings on your tm
2 you can play other files and the new 5402 has a divix player too for avi.files
3 you can use a usb powered HDD
4 u can record serie linked but it has only one tuner so u can only watch same transponder at the same time not any other channel
5 8281 is for cccam or cardsharing client only
6 channel list down load is handy if you have to do factory reset
so you don't have to scan all your channels again.
hope this helps

Hi

I may stand corrected on 3. USB drive - or we are misunderstanding eachother, thijss26? By USB powered HDD, I meant USB-powered, ie a hard drive powered through its own USB port (ie no mains power supply). I do not think that will work. My colleague thijss26 thinks it will UNLESS he meant a USB(-connected), powered drive (ie a drive connected to the TM via USB but powered (from a mains supply)...

Hope the confusion isn't of my making!

the TM can supply enough power to small pocket usb only drives without mains connections

Hi

I may stand corrected on 3. USB drive - or we are misunderstanding eachother, thijss26? By USB powered HDD, I meant USB-powered, ie a hard drive powered through its own USB port (ie no mains power supply). I do not think that will work. My colleague thijss26 thinks it will UNLESS he meant a USB(-connected), powered drive (ie a drive connected to the TM via USB but powered (from a mains supply)...

Hope the confusion isn't of my making!
Hi goldnet i see we were replying at the same time when i said usb powered
i do mean powered by usb connection only "freecom" have very good pocketsize hdd powered by usb only i think their latest one is even 2trb. only powered by usb,how well this size works with tm i don't know but i'm thinking of getting one,to give it a go

Back