super paper mario update warning

gopher2005

Inactive User
Reaction score
theres been alot of reports on my download site i use that there is an update with this game that is bricking peoples consoles so you have been warned!

oooo cheers m8
Ive just cancelled mine ;)

my lads been playing his for a few hours so far and not had any trouble yet, there was an update with it but it went ok, will let you know if anything bad happens.

Reading from another source, this has to do with peeps using an NTSC disc on there PAL Wii's. The upate on the disc is for NTSC only, and PAL consoles are being updated with it causing bricks.

just read on another fourm the the problem is when you put the us firmware on a eu wii you can avoid the disc prompting you to upgrade by doing a native region update via internet.
then the disc detects latest firmware and will not promt you to load the us firmware on a pal wii

cheers andy

I wished, I'd visited earlier. I checked the NTSC compatible list, found mario and bricked my wii.
Don't suppose there's a fix for this............

BEFORE you put the game into a PAL machine - You will need to get it online

#1. RUN A WII MENU SYSTEM UPDATE ( from Wii options menu )
#2. ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE 2.1E AS INSTALLED FIRMWARE
#3. THEN RUN THE GAME

This will mean your Wii is running the latest PAL firmware.

#3. THEN RUN THE GAME

cheers mate bad news 4 people who dont have wifi or lan adapter

You could always wait for a new PAL release that may contain the update on the disc, but might be a while.

just read this too

I can confirm this one works on a PAL Wii with Wiikey installed.
I patched the iso to PAL using RegionFrii 1.20.
may help someone

just read this too

may help someone

They might have already had the latest firmware on though?
Unless they put the firmware upgrade for NTSC and PAL on the same disc.

This might be an ongoing problem so I think if it asks to update your console I would stop and check online for the latest update just in case.

They might have already had the latest firmware on though?
Unless they put the firmware upgrade for NTSC and PAL on the same disc.

This might be an ongoing problem so I think if it asks to update your console I would stop and check online for the latest update just in case.

yeah i agree. It might be a idea that if anyone gets a game that asks to do an update, we post it here to save possible bricks, for those that don't have a LAN connection.

Is firmware 2.1E the latest for the PAL boxes?

yes m8 I just tried an update and it told me No Update Was Avalible
Im on 2.1E

I wished, I'd visited earlier. I checked the NTSC compatible list, found mario and bricked my wii.
Don't suppose there's a fix for this............

what is actualy wrong do you get a menu can you get your wii online to try and dl a pal update?
if you cant get online i heard ssx blur has got a firmware update (don't know if its 2.1E) you could try loading that see if it rolls back the firmware.
people with bricked wii's need to post details so we can all work on a fix

cheers andy

ssx blur update isnt enough, only the method stated earlier by going online etc.. bricked my wii earlier as i dont have wireless and so didnt know to update. hope there is some total reset method or something ffs

this might be nintendos way of hitting back at people with mod chips althought bricking consoles is pretty harsh,iv heard simalar things about microsoft and the 360

#3. THEN RUN THE GAME

ok iv checked my wii is 2.1e when i insert game it says initialising system update but i just eject cuz i dont wanna brick my beloved wii lol will i be ok or should i wait? iv updated online but still comes up every time?

Not sure mate. My chips not here yet so not been able to test. I would say do NOT do the update on the disc until there is a 100% way around it.

Read somewhere that it is working this way with the WiiKey chip. It still asks to update but when it reboots it works fine. Still a bit unsure and could be a costly mistake so your call guys.

Last edited:
my lads been playing his for a few hours so far and not had any trouble yet, there was an update with it but it went ok, will let you know if anything bad happens.

What version of the game have you got?

What is your setup (modchip/PAL box)? What did it ask you to do?

Can you tell us the process you went through? As far as I know its update your Wii to the latest patch then try the game. I have downloaded the game but am yet to try it as I dont want to wreck my Wii

Back