Super Hub my Ar&e

Just a heads up

I'm happy to announce that we'll be releasing the R30 firmware for the Virgin Media Super Hub later today. Once it's available (approximately 6pm) you'll be able to update your Super Hub by simply turning it off at the socket for 60 seconds then back on again. Remember it may take a while for your Super Hub to download the new firmware and come back online.

Our R30 firmware includes the following changes:

Adds the Modem Mode feature.
Incorporates fixes for lock-ups (where the Super Hub appears unresponsive to traffic and the admin pages are unavailable) and reloads (where the Super Hub would reload for no apparent reason) while under heavy load in 2.4 and 5 GHz wireless modes. These symptoms were caused by a memory leak in the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless driver. As part of these fixes we've changed the number of channels available under 5GHz to 4.

Note: 5GHz performance can vary as although it handles interference from other wireless routers better than 2.4GHz it's ability to penetrate walls, doors etc is less. We also recommend you site your Super Hub away from central heating radiators, foil backed wall board and plasma screen TVs if you're using wireless, as these items have been known to cause issues leading to poor wireless performance.

let us know how you chaps get on, as i want 30mb but have been waiting for them to fix issue with wireless side of things

Well the wireless on 2.4Ghz was playing havoc with my dreambox connection, box would freeze every 20 seconds, i have now been using a wireless access point for more than a week and not had any problems since.

let us know how you chaps get on, as i want 30mb but have been waiting for them to fix issue with wireless side of things

+1 from me.
Phoned them earlier to discuss it but the lines were busy - 15 min wait, will try again tomorrow.
HH.

As already posted R30 firmware now released on superhubs so you can use any router you want.

I am going connect my Linksys WRT 320N and let that do all the work.

well chaps did this upgrade fix all the issues with the modem, as i dont want to upgrade and have trouble connecting wirelessly

For me 3 days on and havent had to reboot the modem once, wifi is a lot stronger and also has modem only mode so you can connect your own router. It is now finally working the way it should!

so what is a super hub is it a router and modem all in one,because thats what im after but i dont want to spend out £30 and it dont work, got 6 laptops and one PC all of which are wireless will they connect ok or will i have trouble they all have b/g wireless cards.

The supehub is a router/modem (which you can change into modem mode) & you can connect fine with b/g wireless cards, the only problem i was having was the connection to my dreambox kept dropping at regular intervals.

Does this update provide wireless bridging?

R30 allows you to turn the wireless off on the modem and then you can attach your own router to it.

just phoned them they want £30 to activate the new modem, told them to feck off i pay enough each month, i will wait they will give them out free before long.

I'm the same mate, been with them for years & they want £99 to 'activate' 2 boxes for tv. Not much of an incentive for a loyal customer. Was going to upgrade my BB too so they're losing out on a (much) higher monthly sub.
HH.

let me get this right, the new firmware turns the super hub into the old style cable modem only and you can then connect any wifi broadband router to it

excellent was waiting for this before I move to 50 mb ..

let me get this right, the new firmware turns the super hub into the old style cable modem only and you can then connect any wifi broadband router to it

That's right, it does.

I have been complaining to virgin about my speed for 2 months now and last night they delivered a superhub even though i am only on the 10mb this morning i phoned them because i lost connection in the next room they told me to change the channel to 1 and it seems to be ok now but i am unable to connect to my server for tv (dyndns) I have also pressed the security button on the hub
how can i get my vu+duo to connect to the dyndns server

it is on 4.4.4.r10

edogg

Last edited:

whats the point it that, i throught the idea was router and modem all in one to make thing better for us, sounds to me like a waste of time.

I have been complaining to virgin about my speed for 2 months now and last night they delivered a superhub even though i am only on the 10mb this morning i phoned them because i lost connection in the next room they told me to change the channel to 1 and it seems to be ok now but i am unable to connect to my server for tv (dyndns) I have also pressed the security button on the hub
how can i get my vu+duo to connect to the dyndns server

it is on 4.4.4.r10

edogg

I phoned virgin 4 times today about this superhub disconnecting me and i have now had my sb5100 reactivated

edogg

whats the point it that, i throught the idea was router and modem all in one to make thing better for us, sounds to me like a waste of time.

From VM point of view to have a all in one device is easier for the average consumer, who doesnt want to mess with multiple devices where as for me, I want to move to the 50 MB, but will need the SuperHub but didnt want it due to all the problems I have read about and a colleague at work has one and he has to reboot it once a day. This new firmware is ideal for me in that I can upgrade and use the new cable router and keep my exisiting network infrastructure at home (I have 4 wireless routers all running dddwrt and using repeater bridge mode so can get wifi access from all parts of the house)

so for normal use 4 laptops, 2 x netbooks, PS3, and 2 x Wii it will be fine or I'm i going to have trouble with the wireless side of things, everything in my house is wireless.

Back