Super Hub my Ar&e

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
virgin Super Hub got this yesterday and have tried it all over my living room with varying results, but a lot worse than my older netgear 300n wireless router.

have a number of things connected 2 computers 2 laptops 3 consoles 1 sony tv a couple of ds's not all at once. old router sat in the one spot and could pick up everything. seriously thinking of telling virgin to stick it where the sun don't shine. it's ok when something is in about 20 feet of it, only reason I took it is because it is working out cheaper than my 10mb conection.

It will download 3 times faster but means switching downloads to another room, xbox takes the hump with it and refuses to connect most of the time. sony tv is a bit more sneaky that willl let you watch most of something then cut out near the end.
also had to find new drivers for sons laptop.

Rant over goiny to listen to the Radio.:silly:

Well the good news is the firmware will shortly allow bridge mode, so you can switch it to being just a modem and then plug your decent router in it.

Look out for "Super Hub R28 Firmware"

I've done a temporary fix on mine that does a sort of bridge mode, and I get the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
Also I would suggest turning the inbuilt firewall options off. They cause some serious issues.

Just because I was bored this morning; I decided to plug my old netgear into the super hub, setup my netgear thru its software setup. Changed the channel to 9. super hub is on 1 and in basic settings picked Use Static IP Address. kept same name and passwords for both

I now have a choice of 2
super hub channel 1
and netgear channel 9

signal strength in bedroom
super hub 26%
and netgear 56%

still not getting full download speed in my bedroom but at least everything is connecting

Last edited:
Just because I was bored this morning; I decided to plug my old netgear into the super hub, setup my netgear thru its software setup. Changed the channel to 9. super hub is on 1 and in basic settings picked Use Static IP Address. kept same name and passwords for both

I now have a choice of 2
super hub channel 1
and netgear channel 9

signal strength in bedroom
super hub 26%
and netgear 56%

still not getting full download speed in my bedroom but at least everything is connecting
gettin one this week thanks you have now put me right off thought this would cure all my connection issues

i've just moved house and taken the virgin services with me.... They came out to install everything but said my 50mbit modem was knackered. They left me one of them super hub things... what a load of crap!!!
no dynamic dns or shite all..
phoned them this morning to downgrade to the 10mbit service.. they are sending me a normal ambit modem that i can use with my linksys e3000 router..
not paying for the 50mbit when being forced to use that piece of crap!!

i've just moved house and taken the virgin services with me.... They came out to install everything but said my 50mbit modem was knackered. They left me one of them super hub things... what a load of crap!!!
no dynamic dns or shite all..
phoned them this morning to downgrade to the 10mbit service.. they are sending me a normal ambit modem that i can use with my linksys e3000 router..

wotdo u mean no dynamic dns? wot will that mean for me?
i have pc laptop and xbox and iphone will it be ok for these

dynamic dns is a fucntion within the router that updates your dynamic ip to a hostname like melttc.noip.org

you can use it to access your pc via vnc and the likes... or if you run an ftp server at home.

have a look at RAB - P post... hes having problems with the xbox

Last edited:
I think so mate yes..... just have to wait and see....

post a review here when you get it up and running ;)

I bet they send a superhub :-(

ill get shut of the lot if they do!!!
they made me start a new contract at my new address.. im well within my 14 days cooling off period...

Well let us know how you get on. I had a massive row with them about this, and it came to the point that they said that I had to have the superhub or nothing. I wanted to revert back to 20mb on an ambit and they refused to give me the modem, so I'm very surprised that they are sending an old modem out.

I hope you get what you want, but I'm thinking you'll either get another superhub, or you wont recieve anything.

I hope I'm proved wrong

all is good.... the box came today... im working away so the missus opened it up... they sent me what they called an 'antique modem'
she phoned up and had it activated in about 5 mins.... i think its the ambit255..

i did read on the virgin forum that the new r28 firmware for the crap hub is under test as of last thursday.. i think it was r28? something like that anyway :)

just a little update to this thread.....
the modem that they sent me was the ambit 256 v2.
and to be honest... this 10mbit connection is the most stable ive had in ages.... At my last address, i had to reboot the 50mbit modem every few days. In the new address it didnt work at all hardly...
the 10mbit modem was put online last wednesday and has been rock solid!! No loss of connection or anything!!

Im thinking that VM can shove the 50mbit and the likes where the sun dont shine... im staying with 10mbit and this antique modem!!!

My hub just rebooted itself & i now have the R29 firmware, so it's now time to find a decent router & put the hub in modem mode..... hopefully this will solve the majority of problems.

My hub just rebooted itself & i now have the R29 firmware, so it's now time to find a decent router & put the hub in modem mode..... hopefully this will solve the majority of problems.

Could you please look at to see if ddns has been added.

Strange <scratch head>

Are you sure it's R29? As far as I was aware that was still in beta testing. Are you a beta tester?

See here

Unless Virgin media have screwed up and its gone out to everyone

It's still R26 on my box

Strange <scratch head>

Are you sure it's R29? As far as I was aware that was still in beta testing. Are you a beta tester?

See here

Unless Virgin media have screwed up and its gone out to everyone

It's still R26 on my box
Apologies, should have posted that i am a beta tester

Could you please look at to see if ddns has been added.
Had a quick look and cannot see any options for ddns.
In fact the only difference seems to be modem mode.

Back