Wired (cat 5/6) 2 routers

melttc

DW Regular
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I have 2 virgin virgin hubs and have set the non live one up in my workshop via a powerline adapter but it does not go more than 20 mb for some reason?
Have i done something wrong?

1 Router in the house on 500mb virigin
2 Poweline adapter plugged in to house router via ethernet cable
3 Non live hub in workshop plugged into powerline adapter via ethernet cable.
4 Non live hub set up on 2g and 5g WIFI but speed is very poor?

Look at the powerline adapters. If you want ethernet speeds then use a proper ethernet cable.

Hi

It is too far away hence the adapters?

Eon is correct its more than likely the home plugs. Make sure to check their rating as most home plugs are <100mb and that will be even lower depending on other things like wiring, number of homeplugs etc..

Eon is correct its more than likely the home plugs. Make sure to check their rating as most home plugs are <100mb and that will be even lower depending on other things like wiring, number of homeplugs etc..
Ok thanks they were 600mbs plugs

I agree with @Grimeire, check what you are getting without the second router.

Could be distance, electrical noise etc, I got my homeplug info here.

They dont sell Homeplugs directly anymore but seen some Aztech Solwise on amazon recently.

I've used Solwise previously and now Devolo magic 2 now. However, you should know that if distance or electrical issues are behind this then these may not make any difference i'm afraid.

A mesh network such as google will give you better results than powerline.

I havent but i will

Another thing i forgot to mention is to make sure your cables are rated for 5e or higher. You wont be the first or last person to find out your speed issues are due to cabling. Check you old routers ethernet speeds too maybe it does not have a 1000Mb Ethernet connection. you wont get much more than 10MB(Note big B) DL/UL with just cat 5/100Mb Ethernet nic. 5e and above are capable of 100MB ish in theory.

speeds

Also when doing test do a speedtest to the internet and do a speedtest to a local machine.

Out of curiosity with the second router. are using it to provide WIFI or something? if so is this on a separate network segment or you using the same with DHCP disabled on the second router?

to be totally honest i just followed a youtube video as i wanted to extend the wifi capability to my workshop

Just an update guys , i have still got the second router on in the workshop but it is poor to be honest so i have a second tp link adapter to the pc which is only giving around 30-40 mb even though i i have 600 mb in the house on my main router.
i was looking at the Kuma usb antenna on amazon , do you think this is worth a shot as it is 2.4 and 5g and says it is up to 600mb and that it is powerful enough to pick up my main router in the house , The only thing i think with that is it will only power my pc where as i wanted to have wifi in there for my tv and phone ect?

any suggestions on what is best for in there at reasonable cost please?

You get what you pay for.......

I would go point to point, but a cable would be the best bet cat6 although rated to 100 m, it will work at 150 m

Back