Upstairs feed hard wired issue

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I run an ethernet cable upstairs from the router then added an 8 port 1gig hub TL-SG1008D to put 2 firesticks and an xbox in my kids room.
Thing is, I keep getting freezing on the stick even when there's only me using it. It's on all the 3 servers I use and it's very regular say 30 second gap between each freeze.

The WiFi ain't the greatest upstairs hence I tried hard wiring everything. I've rebooted, changed ethernet cable but it's still the same.
Is there anything in the virgin hub settings that might help or could it be the TP-Link 8 port hub (bought new)

Last edited:
I'm beginning to think it's the hub which is crap. Phones laptop fine but any streaming say lads xbox or Firesticks suffer from it. My lad tried the xbox with 20m lead direct up the stairs for a night and still got it.

I'm beginning to think it's the hub which is crap. Phones laptop fine but any streaming say lads xbox or Firesticks suffer from it. My lad tried the xbox with 20m lead direct up the stairs for a night and still got it.
Ethernet will always take precedence over WiFi. So if you're still getting the issues when hard wired, then it sounds like a hardware issue.

Streaming will also use more bandwidth than browsing on phone/laptop etc. You sure you're using a hub and not a switch? Hubs can only send or receive traffic, they cannot do both at once, so you'll have a single collision domain. If it's a switch then you can send/receive at the same time.

What speed do you have on your router? EG internet speed. Are you potentially being traffic shaped? Do you get the same issues with netflix/prime/disney+

Back