supanet bb

allroad

Inactive User
Reaction score
i signed up for supanet last night 1mg bb now what happens i know they enable the line etc but i did not receive a confermation e mail they did want me to download their dial up setup (strange i thought) but i know a few of you have signed up so what happens next ?

Their 'dial-up' setup might be a patch that makes Windoze believe that it's using a dial-up connection when it's actually using a WAN connection, it's common for USB modems.

its just i havent got a confermation e mail i will be using my router not the usb modem but i havent been advise of connection settings etc i did read in another thread that some people had to goto friends to enable their connections where are the guys who have signed up

@allroad or anyone else who uses supanet bb...

Is this a good bb service to have? Any problems that you have found with it?

They get you to download their dial up cos after you get switched off from your current isp you have no way of receiving your activation email, so you can use dial up to receive this and activate your account :) Make sense ????

As for their service, I have the 1 meg jobbie and often suffer from lack of speed at the mo during peak times :(

Dear supanet user,

Thank you for your recent email regarding slow broadband speeds, these can sometimes be caused by a virus or trojan on your PC for more info on these please see w!w.supanet.com/computing6.1/computing_security.html

Please make sure you have the following software installed on your PC, Anti-Virus, Firewall, Spyware Checker, make sure that all of these are updated to the latest versions and that you have scanned your PC to make sure it has no malicious software running on it.

Click on the link at the bottom of this email to test your broadband speed. If its still slow it may possibly be due to some issues with the supanet network. The following information was posted on the ADSLGuide message board in response to users queries regarding broadband speed issues:

In keeping with other ISPs, Supanet aims to increase network capacity in response to customer demand. Occasionally there may be a shortfall in some element of network capacity (e.g. Internet bandwidth, router/switch capacity, links to other carriers such as BT etc.). With continued planning and forecasts usually any potential shortfalls can be minimised.

We have recently upgraded our router capacity, and increased our Internet transit bandwidth. Unfortunately, one of our key Tier 1 IP Transit suppliers is unable to keep up with our demand for additional bandwidth. This is presently outside of our control and was not forecast by our provider - albeit mitigating steps have already been taken to re-route traffic wherever possible and we are securing additional capacity from an alternate provider.

We aim to deliver the best possible service to the maximum number of customers for the maximum amount of time. Unfortunately, this is not always possible all of the time. In such circumstances, in order to protect the service for the majority of customers, we do have to employ traffic prioritisation methods so as to deliver the best online service given the resources available to us at that time.

This traffic management may take several forms, and may vary depending on time of day. However during key busy periods, such as evenings and weekend afternoons, customers may experience some degradation in some elements of the service. Please bear in mind that the broadband platform is a shared resource, and that customers may experience traffic contention periodically. This is within the stated terms of the service.

Please rest assured that we appreciate your patience, and that we value your custom and are striving to provide you with the best possible service.

If you have any further queries please call 0800 138 0454 for any customer service issues or 0845 122 0032 for technical help

Regards

Vikki

hmm.. interesting read dutcho...
Would you define your peak times (times you are having problems with connection), the same as the one's they have mentioned in that letter?

If I were to go with them, I too would be the evening and weekend user.

Mainly during the evening, I download through the night and it generally picks up alot after around 11 pm, not good I know, but they do say they are working on it....lol

Gonna format this machine to make sure it's nothing here but I have three machines on a router here and all three are the same. :(

If I can find another provider for the same speed at around the same price then I'll switch on the grounds of not getting the service I have paided for.

You pay for 1 meg then it should be 1 meg ALL THE TIME !

Shouldn't you perhaps ask for a refund or compensation from them? I know in most bb providers, they have a clause in T&Cs that they shall not guarantee the optimal speed, but this is more so on an irregular basis, not everyday!

I was interested to see peoples views on the Supanet service as of course the price is very good for a 1Mb connection and from another thread it seemed as though a lot of members from this site were signing up.
Looking at information on adslguide.org it perhaps explains the lack of bandwidth at peak times, Supanet have 2 x 155Mbps central pipe, compare that to my ISP - Pipex who have 21 x 155Mbps, 4 x 622Mbps and a further 4 x 622Mbps on order.
Looks like i will have to wait till i get my 1Mb connection.

@ dutcho keeps us informed im watching with interest btw how did you test your speed

If I do a speed test on adslguide site with nothing running I get around 911 kbs download but if say I have dc running at a rate of say 5 kbs downloading then I seem to be only able to get results from 150 - 200 kbs :(

At presend I have DC open and torrent...

DC is 10 k down and 20 upload

Torrent is 15 k down and 5 up...

Just doesnt add up.... PPL seems to download from me ok....lol so get leechin on the hub :)

Are any other users of supanet experiencing the same problems as dutcho>

I have been with them for over a year now and haven't experienced any of this.
Dutcho you say you're running 3 computers has this not got something to do with it.
Allraod as for the e-mail you have your main one but you can set-up 5 aliasis as well. You can also get another main one with 5 aliasis as I have them. Infact I think you can get as many addresses as you want.
As for the Hub (DC++) Dutcho most people vary I can get 50kbs on one then only get 2kbs on another.

Back