So whos got swine flu or suspected, family etc ?

Do you have swine flu or know someone with it ?

• yes me

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • yes, close at homefamily member

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • yes, family away from home

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • yes friend

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • no

Votes: 45 47.4%
  • swine flu, whats that ? lol

Votes: 5 5.3%

• Total voters
Ello Mickie,

This swine flue is part avian flu mixed swine flu... this is the worry lol. Avian flu was H5N1 ... this is H1N1. Granted it is different but has elements of both.

come winter ppl will be ill in the high end of 100,000 a week if were lucky its that low :(

Dont take this the wrong way but it is exactly this type of scaremongering and media hype, that has every one running round flapping.

Dont take this the wrong way but it is exactly this type of scaremongering and media hype, that has every one running round flapping.

Not scaremongering at all mate, I live in outer london/essex border .... this time last week there were 4 cases, now there are 100's. This is so easily transmissible which is what is causing it to spread so fast. Not media hype either mate, from the health protection agency, I work in a front line hospital in London mate.

I dont want people running around like headless chickens, makes my life at work even harder lol !

What I want is for people to be careful and look out for the signs/symptoms and not just assume its all hype... believe me its not. This is widely a mild illness, but.... but it has the ability to kill people with no other illnesses. That on its own is what is scary. Knowing once this takes hold there is little we (hospital staff) can really do :( thats what worries me.

Again, not a dig at you. just explaining what the deal is :) be lucky :)

Not scaremongering at all mate, I live in outer london/essex border .... this time last week there were 4 cases, now there are 100's.
I live in the same area as rs2ooo16valve and can confirm it is spreading around these part fairly quick

Not scaremongering at all mate, I live in outer london/essex border .... this time last week there were 4 cases, now there are 100's. This is so easily transmissible which is what is causing it to spread so fast. Not media hype either mate, from the health protection agency, I work in a front line hospital in London mate.

I dont want people running around like headless chickens, makes my life at work even harder lol !

What I want is for people to be careful and look out for the signs/symptoms and not just assume its all hype... believe me its not. This is widely a mild illness, but.... but it has the ability to kill people with no other illnesses. That on its own is what is scary. Knowing once this takes hold there is little we (hospital staff) can really do :( thats what worries me.

Again, not a dig at you. just explaining what the deal is :) be lucky :)

I don't think you are scaremongering at all mate, i think you are just calling it how you see it.
I think the press have done their best to blow it out of proportion and that's why people may be frustrated with it.
I do believe in the flu season things will get worse and the full effect will come to light.
If we choose to ignore it the critics would come out and by highlighting it the critics come out.
Your dammed if you do and dammed if you dont...

Not scaremongering at all mate, I live in outer london/essex border .... this time last week there were 4 cases, now there are 100's.

That is exactly my problem with all of this.

This week there are Hundreds of cases, yes because Doctors are diagnosing this over the phone in most cases without proper examinations.

Wee Betty Smith phones Doctor.....

Wee Betty : "Doctor I have a mild headache and feel unwell and my joints are achey"

Doctor : "Without a proper examination, I can confirm that you have the H1N1 Swine Flu, I'll send you a prescription for Tamiflu"

Wee Betty : "Thank You Doctor"

.......Betty then phones all her Bingo friends to brag that she has Swine Flu.

What's the deal, are Doctors on a bonus scheme, the more people they diagnose with Swine Flu the bigger bonus they get at the end of the year?

IMO, there are lots of people out there with a common everyday summer cold who believe they have Swine Flu.

That is exactly my problem with all of this.

This week there are Hundreds of cases, yes because Doctors are diagnosing this over the phone in most cases without proper examinations.

Wee Betty Smith phones Doctor.....

Wee Betty : "Doctor I have a mild headache and feel unwell and my joints are achey"

Doctor : "Without a proper examination, I can confirm that you have the H1N1 Swine Flu, I'll send you a prescription for Tamiflu"

Wee Betty : "Thank You Doctor"

.......Betty then phones all her Bingo friends to brag that she has Swine Flu.

What's the deal, are Doctors on a bonus scheme, the more people they diagnose with Swine Flu the bigger bonus they get at the end of the year?

IMO, there are lots of people out there with a common everyday summer cold who believe they have Swine Flu.

Thats the money post IMHO. :Clap:

My close family relative was diagnosed over the phone. It's a ridiculous state of affairs when you're being diagnosed over the phone, and the Govt' (?) have decided there is no point in swabbing people anymore... How can they know, as Witchy says, it wasn't just a case of normal 'flu, or some bug type thing...???

It's worrying to say the least, especially for someone like me, who has serious other health issues going on, and the likelihood is, IF I did get a genuine case of this damn 'flu, I'm much more likely to come a cropper with it, leaving behind my wife and kid...

Such is life I suppose, when your time is up, your time is up....

i agree here with some of the over the phone diags

minor flu smptoms.. treat for swine flu..

i supose its better be safe then sorry

yeah may work in short run... tho when the bug rebults to beat tamilful then back to square 1...

im always ill through the start of summer.. not hayfever, just bunged up..

tho more recently have been very tired and felling worse then ever...

i still keep plodding on... but with 2 of my colleuses being diadge d iwth poss SF.. and being tested.. i myuself will be donw the docs on monday for a test just incase...

the mussies has fallen ill with minor flu like symptoms.. and with the littlen having her MMR on monday have to be safe..

yest h1n1 is spiralling out of controll.. some ppl wont even know that have it.. heck i mich of just naturally faohght if off and the last few days of shittyness are the final dtox.. but cant be to safe...

as i read else wher its not if but when

That would be because we are NOT in flu season....

mmm.. when exactly is "flu season" m8.
does the flu virus thrive in the colder months maybe?

maybe it doesn't like the sun, or is very considerate and wants us to get our holidays out of the way before it kills us?

Last edited:
This flu thing is some scary shit i just hope it gets sorted!

rs2oo16valve i appreciate the input you are giving us as obviously being in the medical field your knowledge is far better then mine

I firmly believe that come the next few months there will be bigger problems

As weather changes think your right it will get much worse

so far so good around me.... i havent got it and neither has anyone i know....

There is supposed to be a vaccine by the end of august ?

What's happening across the globe not heard anything about it apart from here in the UK.

If you go around worrying about what might happen to you.... you will just end up making your self wick with worry.... yes its dangerous and killing people so do as told on the adverts and use basic hygiene, and try to shake less peoples hands etc ;)

Last edited:
i have had the flu over past few days

i only met 1 person who had a flu before i got it
and he has been confirmed to have swine flu
he cant speak much, chest hurts, got the shits, stomache aches .etc .etc

all i had was runny nose a cough and sneezing
still got the runny nose but im fine

good advice m8

I was going to google it but didn't bother as thats what I thought it meant as well.

Anyway I better GTFOH.

Hey, whygtgtfoohhygtcat LLOOLL WORK THAT ONE OUT!

I think a lot of the problem at this time of year is because people are on holidays. How many people have come home from abroad with the sniffles, either by breathing in everyones germs on the plane or just going from a very warm climate to a colder one or getting it from friends/family who have been on holiday.

I certainly have had the sniffles and sore throat etc after a holiday but because of swine flu symptons, a lot of people think these cold symptons are swine flu symptons.

The difference between a cold and a flu are that a cold will make you feel rotten and the flu will also do that but will also put you on your back and you will ache from head to toe.(imho) Thats for normally healthy people, young, ill or elderly get it much more severe.

I don't know enough about this swine flu and because of this I will trust what rs2000 said, he works in a hospital and is has a lot more knowledge about it than most on here.

Last edited:
Back