Small HTPC Case

Jammy75

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been toying with the idea of building a HTPC, but I'm limited on the depth the case can be, width and height aren't a problem, but I only have 360mm of depth to get a case and wires off the back of it in. Thought it best to sort the case out before I go looking at motherboards etc.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Check out ITX warehouse they might have some thing for you :)

I can definately recomend ITX warehouse. Just bought a HTPC case from them and paired it up with the new Zotac ionitx and a bluray drive. whole thing only has one 60mm fan and is pretty much silent. copes with bluray playback easily and connects to a windows home server.

Running it on windows seven and media browser.

very impressed

It depends what your looking for out of a case, i.e full height PCI, VFD w/inbuilt IR, 5.25" optical drive, budget etc

A very slimline - wife friendly quality made case is the Silverstone ML02 , which is expensive at £195 from Scan, but can still retain a full height PCI and the one without VFD and IR can be had for less.

I have gutted and rebuilt a HTPC from the Elonex Scaleo barebone from Ebuyer @£95. I needed case to deal with a 5.25" bluray/HD-DVD drive, intergrated IR, and full height DVB-C card while still being low profile and on a budget. Suits me down to the ground and is silent to boot.

As previously posted though if none of these things are an issue go with an ITX one or the low profile Hiper case which can be had pretty cheaply.

Only one I can find with that depth limit: Kustom PCs Silverstone LC19S Case Silver

Actually scrap that: MSI Media Live AM2 Barebone - Silver With Slot-In DVD-RW Drive Card Reader LED Display HDMI output Integrated WiFi Bluetooth - Ebuyer only 320mm deep. The price seems to flutuate randomly between 149.99 and 199.99 depending on whether they are on offer.

Downsides:
  • slot load DVD drive - to swap it out for a slot load bluray drive will cost you £140
  • the integrated cooler may prevent motherboard upgrade as the socket would have to be in the same position and may prevent using some higher powered CPUs (higher power = more heat output).
  • it is the older AMD socket - but at least it still allows you to fit an AM3 CPU.

Thanks for all the replies, went for the Lian-Li PC-V351B in the end.

Back