Sharia law in UK is 'unavoidable'

I would agree with that. There have been a few attempts to drag the thread off course but for the most part it's been sensible.

I wouldn't think so Ian, for the reason stated above. I think the thread will be judged on its merits.

I hope so m8

Firstly I totally oppose Shariah law having any authority or recognition within out own judicial system.

However, the Archbishop is just being consistent. The multicultural ethos preaches that nothing is British and that we are constantly evolving and don't have any set identity. Since all politicians jump up and down to praise this sentiment it is a bit rich of them coming out to criticise the Archbishop right now.

Also, we allow muslims and Jews to slaughter animals in inhumane ways because of their religious beliefs. If we are willing to offer paralell laws for them on any issue, then the precedent is set.

Like I said I disagree with him, but multiculturalism, which is widely supported, is the foundation of the logic that leads to comments like the ones he made.

Food for thought

Some interesting facts here.

I've took some time out to check the quantity of people viewing these type of threads.

It seems (without a shadow of a doubt), that these genre of posts generate most traffic in the News section.

No other thread in recent times comes close, I had to go back as far as the 3rd May last year to find another thread that broke 1000 views.

It also turns out that all these type of posts are closed.
From my reckoning, this post is also nearing it's end of life.

Below are all the posts that breached 1000 views since May 3rd.
Draw yer own conclusion :)

Sharia law in UK is 'unavoidable'
Created - 7th February 2008 13:24
81 replies - 1169 views - Open (for how long)
--
Benazir Bhutto 'killed in blast'
Created - 27th December 2007 13:53
86 replies - 2053 views - Closed
--
Shoot UK teacher, say protesters
Created - 30th November 2007 13:21
146 replies - 1,779 views - Closed
--
Muhammad' teddy teacher arrested
Created - 26th November 2007 16:46
242 replies - 3492 views - Closed
--
Glasgow Airport attack man dies
Created - 3rd August 2007 00:26
61 replies - 1111 views - Closed
--
Car on fire crashes into airport
Created - 30th June 2007 16:15
37 views - 1235 views - Closed

VirginMedia launch nationwide packet shaping !
Created - 3rd May 2007 14:54
55 replies - 1906 views - Open

if you dont like the rules of uk leave !! live by the rules and die by the rules

race , policts, faith. woteva you want to call it, will cause rows and we being nosey b@stads like to read all about it. simple.

does this really need to be closed though?

Granted, there are some very negative comments being made here now - but no one is rising to them.

Shariah is a fairly tricky subject, the blurring of religion, state and law all into one big amorphous blob. I think, in fact, it spawns a number of other questions (that I think may not be healthy for here though). Thankfully though, the comments made in the news about this really do mean nothing at all - noone in the government has responded to these comments (that I have read), and without that the concept looses any credibility.

at the moment i dont think this needs to be closed i came on this morning fully expecting to close this thread but am happy not to have to. silly comments are being ignored so it will stay open..........for now

well done most of u

huggi

chaps, read this?:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7236849.stm

One interesting point there, that I didnt know about - religous courts are already used in the UK for arbitration. So maybe a more apt way of describing this would be to discuss using religious courts more openly for arbitration in the UK when the situation could benefit from it?

And by that, i dont just mean Shariah, as islam is just one of many religions in the UK

Last edited:
it would be wrong to close these threads because of silly comments, that's what these ppl want (and how many threads have been closed because of the same few ppl)

i think the bishop's comment was designed to stir trouble ;( and it has ..

also people fail to point out that muslims have not actually requested shariah law here (most wouldn't) , it was the head of the church of england that suggested it

would be interesting to see how many would actually want it.
also people fail to point out that muslims have not actually requested shariah law here (most wouldn't) , it was the head of the church of england that suggested it

would you trust this man with your children ? :p

77C8B8865B458DB83DEF332994AB12.jpg

if sharia law is comign to the uk does this mean that I would be able to get away with opening a pub with bacon sarny counter in central Téhran? - if they demand the right to their laws here surely I should be able to demand my own laws there - or how about everyone has there own laws?

the idea makes a mockery of the idea of a law and as such SHOULDN'T be allowed no matter in how watered down a form

No m8 you will not be able to, because you are not citizen of that country and you don't live there and you did not contribute to that country, help rebuild it or fought to defend it.

Where as Muslims on the other hand have done all that in this country and are still contributing it in many ways.

Sharia law in this country exists and that's the fact of life, only thing is it's hidden, people practice it you just don't know about it. And recognizing some of the right of Muslims might even be a good idea, where for example embalming of body is not allowed under the sharia law, and put more stress on the graving family's. After all we don't live in dark ages, do we?

Last edited:
so stoning women and beheading people isn`t something from the dark-ages?
No m8 you will not be able to, because you are not citizen of that country and you don't live there and you did not contribute to that country, help rebuild it or fought to defend it.

Where as Muslims on the other hand have done all that in this country and are still contributing it in many ways.

Sharia law in this country exists and that's the fact of life, only thing is it's hidden, people practice it you just don't know about it. And recognizing some of the right ofr muslims might even be a good idea, where for example embalming of body is not allowed under the sharia law, and put more stress on the graving family's. After all we don't live in dark ages, do we?

well how about this people why is the world fighting for who owns what land who rules what country it all wrong the world is a free world people should go where ever they want to go live where ever they want to live and with in reason say what they want to say there should be 1 governing body for the whole world like the eu but on a bigger scale get rid of individual goverments and have an elected rep for each country or boundry the laws are set from there and the whole world abides by them i hate it that people complain asians are taking over the uk im english white british i and i could not care less if you are muslim jew catholic what ever black white yellow it dont bother me 1 bit you breathe walk and to a degree talk just like i do people should get over the racist aspect and start to think we are all equal the radicals of this world are not just muslims bush brown blair are just as bad who gave them the right to decide to kill people its no different to the iraqis muslims blowing up stuff in the western world they think they are at war lets all just get along

nice thought m8,but the EU is so corrupt , it would never work on a much bigger scale.
well how about this people why is the world fighting for who owns what land who rules what country it all wrong the world is a free world people should go where ever they want to go live where ever they want to live and with in reason say what they want to say there should be 1 governing body for the whole world like the eu but on a bigger scale get rid of individual goverments and have an elected rep for each country or boundry the laws are set from there and the whole world abides by them i hate it that people complain asians are taking over the uk im english white british i and i could not care less if you are muslim jew catholic what ever black white yellow it dont bother me 1 bit you breathe walk and to a degree talk just like i do people should get over the racist aspect and start to think we are all equal the radicals of this world are not just muslims bush brown blair are just as bad who gave them the right to decide to kill people its no different to the iraqis muslims blowing up stuff in the western world they think they are at war lets all just get along

good post m8, and most people with common sense would agree with most of it, however, one set of laws for the world? this arguement is about laws on a small island, l;aws that have been here for generations, and are now being changed by people bringing their laws, then complaining when the people who are originally abaiding by the set laws complain that they dont want, or need, these new ones

yes there is courts etc that already practice these laws, which in my own opinion should be outlawed straight away, one land, one set of rules, no ifs or buts about it

live by the law thats in place, or go somewhere where the laws are different, that goes for everyone, no matter where youre from, what you belikeve, what colour you are, anything

v good post, it doesnt matter what colour/religion you are inthe UK - we are all british and that is what counts. If elements of Shariah are useful for arbitration then they should be used when they can actually help out.

Also, another point that should be made, especially with some of the comments that are starting to appear here. Shariah isn all about chopping off peoples heads, te BBC news wesbsite has a good article about shariah at the moment. For instance, one point it makes is that all of us saying Shariah is about capital punishment and poor rights for women would be like the muslim world judging us on te US using the electric chair to execute people.

Its the same as not every western country uses capital punishment for criminals, not every muslim country practises Shariah in the same way as Saudi Arabia...

If your having a pop at me m8,you can fcuk-off,if you have a look at what i quoted you will see that i did not mention shariah law just that if beheading and stoning isn`t from the dark-ages then you have a problem.
Also, another point that should be made, especially with some of the comments that are starting to appear here. Shariah isn all about chopping off peoples heads,

You implied that you were talking about Shariah dave, now you're throwing a hissy fit when someone pulls you up on it! That sort of behaviour will end this thread.

Back