Sharia law in UK is 'unavoidable'

pks00

Inactive User
Reaction score
This is total bollox - its not a stab at muslims but how you can have 2 different established laws. Maintaining your culture is one thing but to have two seperate laws is madness.
Well thats what I think anyway.
If sharia law becomes legal here, then that sets a precedent and any other laws of other ethnicities should be allowed.
This is not being racist here, I dont believe having two seperate laws will work.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7232661.stm

The Archbishop of Canterbury Rowan Williams says the adoption of Islamic Sharia law in the UK is "unavoidable".
Dr Williams told BBC Radio 4's World at One that the UK has to "face up to the fact" that some of its citizens do not relate to the British legal system.

He says Muslims should not have to choose between "the stark alternatives of cultural loyalty or state loyalty".

Dr Williams argues that establishing Sharia law in the UK would help maintain social cohesion.

In an exclusive interview ahead of a lecture to lawyers in London later on Monday, Dr Williams proposes that Muslims be able to choose whether to have issues like marital disputes or financial matters dealt with in Sharia-compliant proceedings or the existing legal system.

Dr Williams argues this relies on Sharia law being better understood. At the moment, he says "sensational reporting of opinion polls" clouds the issue.

He stresses that "nobody in their right mind would want to see in this country the kind of inhumanity that's sometimes been associated with the practice of the law in some Islamic states".

this is absurd, there is and should be only one law for everyone in the land.. otherwise where do you stop?

im sorry but if you move to a country you abide by the laws of that country. If I were to go to a muslim country they would not change there laws to suit me as i only know the uk legal system... id probley be hanged for asking !
I think this should be overruled/outlawed straight away

There should be only one set of laws for a population of a country, which does not distinguish between creed, colour, religion or gender.

well said mate.live in the country except the rules

:england_s

Hi all,

I don't usually comment on stuff that pertains to religion/race/-ism's but this is madness.

If anybody wants to live a certain way then let them by all means but let them live by the law of the land, if anybody chooses to live here they should abide by the laws here, if I go abroad I expect to be judged by the laws of that particular country and look into these laws before I travel.

This can only cause more damage to an already very fragile peace in this country.

Muskrat

I wouldn't get to flustered about it guys, the PM has quashed any ideas about it.

Downing Street has distanced Gordon Brown from the Archbishop of Canterbury's belief that some Sharia law in the UK seems "unavoidable".

The prime minister's spokesman said Mr Brown "believes that British laws should be based on British values".

Source

Not worth getting worked up about. Rowan Williams is a complete t*t.

He says Muslims should not have to choose between "the stark alternatives of cultural loyalty or state loyalty".

if they want to live in the UK then too fkin right they should

think every sane person agrees that its total bollox. live in uk with uk laws.

simple as.

you wanna live with a different law...uk has many doors

Agreed. Just said it to cause controversy.

P.S I'm so glad no one has said anything stupid in this thread and that it has stayed civil.:Clap:

its pathetic its something that can't and won't happen.

Just to create further tension he has come out with this

Agree with you mas the thread has had no stupid comments thankfully.

shariah law is a set of rules and laws that muslims can choose to live by.

One of the things about shariah that many non muslim countries question is that it isnt actually documented anywhere - the law is decreed based on the opinion of the clerics in relation to the crime. So one cleric will have a different outlook on a crime compared to another. Whilst in other countries where the law is written, all judgements stem from the same criteria for punishment.

Now I am not saying that shariah is bad - its just that sometimes it may appear to be inconsistent.

Shariah also extends to non muslims too, so it is entirely avoidable here in the UK. This would have been better pitched if it were a lifestyle choice.

After all, the UK is multi-cultural. We alreasy have the law, we dont need another set of rules called 'law' that refer to one section of society. It could lead to confusion as to what the law actually is...

Not worth getting worked up about. Rowan Williams is a complete t*t.

Not having a pop at you Nara and I agree with your comment but if that had been said that about an Islamic religious leader all hell would have broke lose

Not having a pop at you Nara and I agree with your comment but if that had been said that about an Islamic religious leader all hell would have broke lose
i would imagine there will be a number of people upset about that comment.

I could go one way but im not..

This law will never get passed by the law lords... If it does and the queen signs it then i believe this will open the door to discrimination..

What next ethnic clensing lol.. where on earth do labour get these ideas.. Vote New labour and we will sell your country.. Be warned..

i think the quicker the elections come around the better , labour have had there run think its about time for a change

Back