SB5101e which firmware to use?

owengrey

Inactive User
Reaction score
Ive read so much now that im bewildred... i got a sb5101e of ebay which was duff so i flashed new 5101e firmware back on and it appears to be working now (not on internet yet tho), what im asking is where do i go from here to get it connected, im on virgin as a subscriber already and only want another modem for my other pc (multimedia in living room) so not really bothered about fast downloads just want another connection..... is there anyone out there got one of these workin and can give me some guidance... i know the issues about cloning ie not same mac from my segment... just want to know what files to use thanks

well if it's flashed then u'll need DHCPForce or another mac sniffer also u'll need the tftp ip addy for where u are and ur DS freq ...can all be done through hyper terminal or u can use 250 configurator.but ur better to look over other posts on the forum on other messures to take to make it more secure.i.e change serial password logon.new to all this my self m8 but am sure if i'm thinking of a another model some 1 will correct me

ive got some macs already as friends of mine have used mac readers for me so got the information. ive tried changing my mac with blackat v1,28 and it changed easily but when i go online i get no connection, so was wondering if its because of using standard 5101e firmware or is there more to dao than that?

ive got some macs already as friends of mine have used mac readers for me so got the information. ive tried changing my mac with blackat v1,28 and it changed easily but when i go online i get no connection, so was wondering if its because of using standard 5101e firmware or is there more to dao than that?

sounds like you have to do the bpi cmds or the mac is dead.

the rs232 port appears to be not working with standard firmware, is there another way in (ethernet perhaps) or do i have to change the bootloader?

you wont get nothing from max untill you put another bootloader on.

put original abmit 250 firmware on it, its working best for now

Also if you've used your MAX cable on Ambit's you'll need to change the wires round a little as the pinouts are different on Motorola's.

:)

ok this is the scenario so far... ive managed to change the bootloader so that i could use solarwinds to download the 250.bin onto the 5101e, thats all worked and i can use explorer to look at modem setup pages.... now this is where i come unstuck, i tried boltars configurator but it wont connect using telnet so that i can enter mac and change other settins.... i tried usin hyperterminal (says cant use port 23 ) but tera term will use port 23 but comes up and says access denied... what do i do now? i think im so close but the last gate is closed....... help!!!

That's because your using origional FW m8,

Follw this guide here to get it setup ;)

:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey monkey thanks for that.... i followed the tut and dowmloaded the firmware that it says onto the modem but when i come to issue commands i get past the first one which stops the scanning but the next command which says cd n\h the console says cant find command [n]...... any ideas? (see attachment)

Hey MONKey, your the man...... thanks for the great help, if it wasnt for you i would never have got it workin....... i got it workin on 2meg but like i said thats all i wanted, thanks mate

Back