Reduce your electricity bill

I think what these companies need is a wake up call , they are like a cartel and guaranteed sit together and fix prices , only way to get this sorted is a protest in Westminster like the poll tax days to wake the politicians up and get something done , we as a nation never complain or protest against something thats wrong , we just sit and take it .Its getting so ridiculous now that fuel bills are more than council tax ! what will happen to the elderly and poor when they get £800 odd bill every quarter? And how come so called wholesale energy prices only go up during the winter ?

Assuming you choose to go down the Feed-in-Tariff route - nowt to stop you doing your own thing :)

If you want to qualify for FIT payments then you need to use a MCS certified fitter. More information here.

Feed-In Tariff schemes explained - UK Feed-In Tariffs and solar FITs

As for storage of electricity, not really cost effective. You best bet is to use excess energy to power your immersion tank. Cost of a diversion switch is around £200. But depending on your installation and your power usage then you may not have much excess generation.

Intelligent Solar PV Immersion Heater Switch - Use Surplus PV Power to Heat Water

If you want to qualify for FIT payments then you need to use a MCS certified fitter. More information here.

Feed-In Tariff schemes explained - UK Feed-In Tariffs and solar FITs

As for storage of electricity, not really cost effective. You best bet is to use excess energy to power your immersion tank. Cost of a diversion switch is around £200. But depending on your installation and your power usage then you may not have much excess generation.

Intelligent Solar PV Immersion Heater Switch - Use Surplus PV Power to Heat Water

I thought that batteries would be cost prohibitive.

Micronets where nearby generation friends share power...

something i saw on you tube a while ago was someone had set up a bank of batteries that charged when he went over to the old economy 7 tarriff (cheap after midnight), during the day he used those batteries to run the house and switched over night to charge, very clever, if i can find it again i will post it up for you.
edit
there you go

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited by a moderator:
something i saw on you tube a while ago was someone had set up a bank of batteries that charged when he went over to the old economy 7 tarriff (cheap after midnight)

Impressive...but the setup costs for all that kit must be fairly substantial unless you're in the trade.

When I was over in nz i had a cheaper form of electricity i worked for a card dealership so had access to a good supply of slightly used car batteries, the then found a cheap inverter in op shop (300w max) for a couple of pounds I then bought a solor pane12v tickle charge . I had installed at christmas white led lights through the roof beams and they used only 10w to power up. When the power went down and everyone else where on candles we changed to our own supply and where running lights and the laptops and phones, we could easily run fans as well as these where only 50ew. I could easily do the same over here in the uk now but use both solar and more important a small wind turbine just about the size you see on the side of the motorway powering the signs. Inverters are very cheap in the uk and a 3000w can be got cheaply.

Maybe install it yourself and then have someone certify it ???

I still have reservations regarding Solar and the initial outlay vs potential savings...

I like the idea of the Economy Seven charging batteries to provide power all day, I am guessing that it would not help with showers and cooking though???

Last edited:
Back