installing your own electricity meter!

So basically you will not be saving any money by changing the meter.
Your originally post is misleading by stating you are saving a small fortune along with several friends, who have changed their meters. Well at least that has been cleared up.
You do realise your bills tend to drop in the summer months. 🙄
Well technically they are as I had this Convo with a few people lately.

So as ir4dex does not have a smart meter the electrical company have to charge him a standard rate for all electric units as they don't know when he is using units. In most cases this will be less than what you are paying with a smart meter unless you have a odd schedule. The reason for this is a smart meter knows when you are using it and the electric companies will charge you more for peak times. In my case since I got a smart meter my electric went up about 30%.

On top of this with manually read meters you can submit high readings before increases in unit prices. So let's say the unit rate increases 50%. Let's say I used 500 units this month. If I don't have a smart meter I can say I used 1000 and pay the old unit price so let's say I pay £1000 for 1000 units or about 2 months of electric. the next month I put in I only used 50 units and I pay £75 even though I really used 575 but I got the 500 at the old rate last month.

@ir4dex If they wanted to install a smart meter you installing a manually read one does not fix the problem they will still want a smart meter installed. I don't understand why you would just replace an existing meter with your own one. Fair enough they missed appointments but they will still have to fix a smart meter since you didn't.

Tbh I wouldn’t think Eons give a flying feck as long as they are getting paid for their electric.
If anything went wrong with the installation this would be down to the installer and the person who certified it.
The homeowner would probably foot the bill if someone from the grid or their supplier had to come out to have a look at any possible repercussions from a poor installation.
I can’t see a problem if the work carried out has been done to a regulation standard.
But I will say it again you can’t save money by just swapping your meter, unless it has been modified in some way.
Can @ir4dex post a link to the eBay listing or a description of the meter he purchased.
Did the listing state that the meter could save you money 🤔

Attachments

• IMG_7649[1].PNG
    IMG_7649[1].PNG
    222.2 KB · Views: 27
...So as ir4dex does not have a smart meter the electrical company have to charge him a standard rate for all electric units as they don't know when he is using units. In most cases this will be less than what you are paying with a smart meter unless you have a odd schedule. The reason for this is a smart meter knows when you are using it and the electric companies will charge you more for peak times. In my case since I got a smart meter my electric went up about 30%....
My energy firm doesnt say anywhere in tariff details that they charge more at peak times, etc. Doing so would surely be breach of contract on their behalf.

I'm aware that some companies do have tariff's where they charge different prices off-peak vs on-peak.

Not saying they wouldn't love to charge everyone more during peak times :)

Also, you can specify with a smart meter that it only sends reading once a month. Now in that one reading, it could do a daily breakdown of usage as i'm not certain exactly what information it sends to them.

BTW, I haven't got a smart meter.

My energy firm doesnt say anywhere in tariff details that they charge more at peak times, etc. Doing so would surely be breach of contract on their behalf.

I'm aware that some companies do have tariff's where they charge different prices off-peak vs on-peak.

Not saying they wouldn't love to charge everyone more during peak times :)

Also, you can specify with a smart meter that it only sends reading once a month. Now in that one reading, it could do a daily breakdown of usage as i'm not certain exactly what information it sends to them.

BTW, I haven't got a smart meter.
My smart meter reads every 30 minutes but I can change that thru the app, my charges are static all thru a 24 hour period.

My charge’s are the same also. I will say it again the op is misleading and they will not be saving any money by changing the meter. Their bill has reduced because they probably have not be using as much electric during the summer months imo.

It's true to a certain point that some Energy suppliers charge more for peak times but this has to be looked at in context. They are actually charging you the going rate per unit at peak times but giving you a discounted rate at non peak times.

This leads people to think they are paying more for peak time usage, which is true in one sense but not true in "real" sense. :rolleyes:

I can't see what you are achieving here?

Your standard charge and price per kWh remain the same or did they give you a different tariff?

What meter did you have previously?

Not that I condone any of this but if you supply your own meter would you still be liable for the Standing Charge or is that for the supply and not the equipment rental ???

Not that I condone any of this but if you supply your own meter would you still be liable for the Standing Charge or is that for the supply and not the equipment rental ???
In short, yes. You would still need to pay standing charges.

Standing charges are not for "equipment rental", but to cover the costs of transporting the energy to your property, including regular maintenance.

Standing charges are the reason why customers don't pay anything when things go wrong with the grid.

Energy price cap explained

Back