installing your own electricity meter!

I’m not qualified but do have enough knowledge.

Thats the problem.
Theres a huge difference between knowledge and being qualified.
If something was to go wrong, lets say a fire occurred, you would not have a leg to stand on, and whoever is issuing certs for you would also be in trouble.

The only way I can see that you could save any money is with an uncalibrated meter, as mentioned previously. No matter how you try and spin it The charge is still "x" per Kwh, so through calibrated/accurate meters would be consistent.

It's a bit like saying that you were borrowing a 5 gallon bucket from your next door neighbour to carry 5 gallons of water from a well to your home. After buying your own 5 gallon bucket you are now able to carry 6 gallons from the well.
There is only one way that would be possible which brings us back to an uncalibrated meter.

If I were the supplier would I rely on a photo of a home install to satisfy me that the readings you send me are accurate? Not a chance in a hell and neither would your energy supplier. This is going to come back to bite you I feel.

Thats the problem.
If something was to go wrong, lets say a fire occurred, you would not have a leg to stand on, and whoever is issuing certs for you would also be in trouble.
Oops the laugh was meant for Joe Noodles post 😂 I meant to give you a like.

Have your energy supplier asked for the Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN), this is kept on a national database and serves to identity the property and position of the electricity meter, I am under impression all energy company provided meters have to have an MPAN on the meter itself

I got a land when I read the first post cuase I just got my place wired in Ireland and while it's a piss easy job to do yourself power companies won't connect to it unless it's certified so I had to get a electrian to do it and charge me about €1500 for 2.5 days work all cause I can't certify it. After he certifies it then he sends the national electrian org a cert and they send it to the power company. Then the power company come and fit the meter and power.

As others have said even if you didn't need it to be certified it's still a big risk to do electrics yourself as your insurance won't cover it, Banks won't lend on it etc.. or at least that's the case over here in Ireland anyway.

If it's not certified by a qualified Tec your insurance is well void with gas or electrician

They have to put their licence number down and sign for the installation or check on the probity to clear

Or ask bob round the corner to do it 😂

I’m not qualified but do have enough knowledge to do a complete house rewire and do from time to time then get a friend to do a cert in it but eon have surprised me when they casually replied to my meter install notification as though it happens all the time and have asked me for nothing other than a photo then now they just ask for a reading each month via email and that’s my story really 😊
A m8 of mine can install-rewire better than a fair few electricians and has done for years, his cousin inspects and signs the work off.

Another m8 a builder could build you a house no worries and all self taught from working with his Dad from a teenager and he's a top quality builder as well.
Certificate ?, Can't see many eastern European builders in London producing those on completion. If I was to have my meter swapped out I'd let either of my m8s do it and both aren't qualified but I know the quality of work would be alot better than some of the qualified bozo's out there

Well the op got his five posts. Let’s see if he sticks around. My gas he doesn’t. 🤔

Reactions: gez
A m8 of mine can install-rewire better than a fair few electricians and has done for years, his cousin inspects and signs the work off.

Another m8 a builder could build you a house no worries and all self taught from working with his Dad from a teenager and he's a top quality builder as well.
Certificate ?, Can't see many eastern European builders in London producing those on completion. If I was to have my meter swapped out I'd let either of my m8s do it and both aren't qualified but I know the quality of work would be alot better than some of the qualified bozo's out there

That's not really the case an engineer is suppose to sign off on all the work the builder does so that's why those eastern European builders don't need to certify anything.

For my place to get the place signed off by the engineer cost nearly €10k and he came only a hand full of times to look things over for 10-15 mins. It's the best gig in town. I was self building my own place so it's in my best interest to do stuff to the regs and above cause I will be living there.

My engineer is sound and the price I paid him wasn't bad and he was easy to deal with. I know others that have engineers looking for certs for concrete that was delivered, timber used etc. . things have gone insane over here with regs. All a money racket in my book

The certification of work over here is similar to with the electrics. If it's not certified by an engineer you can't lend on it and can't get insurance etc.. for it.

What you mention about your mates, there are plenty in trades like that where they are qualified/trained to do the work but are unable to either pay for the certification course or unable to pass the tests and thus need another to certify everything. As I said most things anyone can do. There's even instructions to fit everything but you need an person who is certified to do it and who charges you a fortune.

Thats the problem.
beg to differ on that, I worked on building sites for along time in my younger days and some of the "qualified" tradesmen were of a poor standard. Similar to a brickie, most know 2-3 bonds that's your lot while a few of the older self taught brickies would the the technical work. Having the paperwork isn't the do all and end all bar in the eyes of the law.
There's a qualified surveyor on tiktok going round new builds and tbh it looks like Stevie Wonder Ray Charles and Helen Keller were in a 2 n 1 gang on one property. The brickwork was 150mm out of plumb in 20 courses !!. It makes you think if they used a banana as a level Now some might say ( I know a song about that) that that's not the same as a spark or a gas technician it's more life threatening if done wrong, well it's no good if a gable ends 150mm out of plumb or a padstones not correct the property is truly unsafe.

As in the thread, if you confident enough in the simpler work do it and get it signed off, go for it. I've done a fair few jobs myself above standard D.I.Y. level and because it's mine I take my time and triple check using proper gear.

Well the op got his five posts. Let’s see if he sticks around. My gas he doesn’t. 🤔
ive been on this site for a long time but have been quite ill and had some life changing events to deal with and i will be on and off the site as often as possible but thanks for the vote of confidence :) 👌

Have your energy supplier asked for the Meter Point Administration Number (MPAN), this is kept on a national database and serves to identity the property and position of the electricity meter, I am under impression all energy company provided meters have to have an MPAN on the meter itself
all eon have asked me for was photos of my install and nothing more than that although the meter i have installed does have an mpan no on it.

ive been on this site for a long time but have been quite ill and had some life changing events to deal with and i will be on and off the site as often as possible but thanks for the vote of confidence :) 👌
My bad didn’t realise that you had been a member since 2011 and sorry to hear about your health issues and life events.
But I still don’t understand how you can save money on electric by just swapping the meter unless the meter has been doctored in some way. Good luck 🙂

@ir4dex

Was the reason you installed the meter just cause they never showed to appointments to do it or was it cause you thought it was going to be cheaper bills longterm? I ask as im with @avid here the usage should still be the same unless the meter is modded some how.

There are so many wrongs, as I mentioned...totally appreciate the op views, but this was a misinformed and misadvised decision.

Seems, that Eon is aware of the "work" and ok'd it. Mind boggling.

Also, as other have said, unless your ebay meter is modded (which would make it illegal), there are no savings to be made here. All that a electricity meter does is to measure the amount of Kwh being consumed. Nothing more, nothing less. And, if it is modded, suppliers have data points in place to analyse energy consumption, if your consumption suddenly drop without an explanation, revenue collection folks kicks in. There is just so much "energy savings" you can do by change of habits, and they know the patterns.

Energy Suppliers/Meter Operators are responsible for any issues relating to the installation up to the meter. Anything beyond the meter into your property is homeowner's problem. The meter has a unique serial number, and the "cables" that come from the street into the meter also has a unique serial number (Meter Point Administration Number or MPAN).

However, you now have a electricity meter which does not have the installation seal following an authorised installation and as is not owned and installed by your energy supplier/meter operator any problems with that installation now will be at homeowner's expenses.

If an issue happen with the meter and/or meter installation, as soon the DNO or meter operator sees the unapproved installation you'll be liable for their time, call out as you're now the proud owner of your own ebay meter. -- I worked in the industry for over 10 years, I've seen it happen.

I said on previous post, you'll be fine for now, one day this decision will come to haunt you.

As in the thread, if you confident enough in the simpler work do it and get it signed off, go for it. I've done a fair few jobs myself above standard D.I.Y. level and because it's mine I take my time and triple check using proper gear.
i understand what your saying but do you class a picture being sent to EON as proof of a certified installation?

Back