installing your own electricity meter!

ir4dex

Reaction score
Hi all I just wondered if folks are hearing about other folks having their electricity meters removed and installing their own?
i myself have done this and now supply my supplier the readings via email monthly and seem to be saving a small fortune along with 5 of my other friends. Maybe give me your thoughts on this 🤷‍♂️

Hi all I just wondered if folks are hearing about other folks having their electricity meters removed and installing their own?
i myself have done this and now supply my supplier the readings via email monthly and seem to be saving a small fortune along with 5 of my other friends. Maybe give me your thoughts on this 🤷‍♂️
When you say install it yourself, do you mean personally or did you pay a qualified person to do this for you?
You also need the suppliers permission to do so.

You can legally install your own electricity meter, as long as you have the supplier's permission and the person installing the equipment is qualified to do so. It's not recommended for anyone not qualified to attempt the installation, as it is a dangerous procedure to undertake.

When you say install it yourself, do you mean personally or did you pay a qualified person to do this for you?
You also need the suppliers permission to do so.
I contacted eon and said i was removing my meter to install my own which i purchased from ebay and all they said was to send them a final reading and thank you for informing them and made arrangements to collect their meter. I fitted my own meter as i have a decent understanding of electricity and such and just send them my meters readings now via an email they send to me requesting it. :)

When i first read this i thought you were swapping them over.

I dont understand why they would allow you to do this and even if they did surely they would question the accuracy of the new meter and insist it was a qualified electrician installing it.

I don’t understand how you can save money by doing this. You will still be using the same amount of electric and paying the same rate per kw and the same standing charge. Unless the meter is dodgy and is not giving the correct readings🤔or the op is making this up for their five useful post’s 🤔😉

I don’t understand how you can save money by doing this. You will still be using the same amount of electric and paying the same rate per kw and the same standing charge. Unless the meter is dodgy and is not giving the correct readings🤔or the op is making this up for their five useful post’s 🤔😉
i can only say here what i and a few others have done and experiencing and my friend who did this first thinks it maybe the meters tariff settings from the new meter but its definitely much less than i was paying by approximately 10-15 pounds a month as i was paying 80 pounds a month because im in an all electric flat and now im paying them around 65 pounds a month maximum. :)

also i thought i would mention i had to send them a photo of my meter install setup which they have since thanked me for. 😁

Sir, I worked in the energy industry for over 10 year. What you say, is utter bullcrap, for so many reasons that I can't even be bothered to start.

Each meter has a serial number that MUST match across; national grid database, meter operators, meter readers, suppliers and smart hub (if smart meter). for you simply "get one on ebay" .... how do you get all of these parties updated?

the more concerning thing here is I don't even doubt you spoke with Eon about it and they may have say "ok thanks", with the energy crisis they are mass hiring and you probably got a poor sod on his first day with no clue what to do. the list of wrongs here is very long.

When i first read this i thought you were swapping them over.

I dont understand why they would allow you to do this and even if they did surely they would question the accuracy of the new meter and insist it was a qualified electrician installing it.
Sir, I worked in the energy industry for over 10 year. What you say, is utter bullcrap, for so many reasons that I can't even be bothered to start.

Each meter has a serial number that MUST match across; national grid database, meter operators, meter readers, suppliers and smart hub (if smart meter). for you simply "get one on ebay" .... how do you get all of these parties updated?

the more concerning thing here is I don't even doubt you spoke with Eon about it and they may have say "ok thanks", with the energy crisis they are mass hiring and you probably got a poor sod on his first day with no clue what to do. the list of wrongs here is very long.
i have here the photos of the replys from the energy company as all this started from them not turning up to an arranged appointment which they also compensated me 30 pounds for so you are not correct at all.

how do i attatch a photo of my response from my supplier??

You simply can't buy a meter on ebay and install it....sorry. I am not doubting you done it. I am saying that you shouldn't have and this will most definitely cause you problems in the future.

You can own your own gas and/or electricity meter as long as the meter is of an approved type. It can only be installed with your suppliers knowledge and must be installed by a qualified person. In electricity this means the party your supplier has appointed as the Meter Operator to your meter point. Once installed the meters become part of the fixtures of the house and would have to be left in place when you move.

Last edited:
this is what they said in the response on August the 9th ,2022,13:39 GMT+ - Mimi (EON Next Help)
"Hello James,
Thank you for the photos and letting us know about your missed appointment by engage.
Our meter reading team have checked the booking notes and we're sorry for your failed appointment. We will be willing to offer you £30 compensation for this as closure of your complaint, please confirm if you are happy to accept this. We will also rectify this issue by arranging a new appointment.

I understand You've removed the meter that was installed at your property, could you kindly send an up to date photo of your current set up so we can take a look.
Best wishes, Mimi."
I can only say to folks on here what i have done and what i have experienced so kindly stop the attacks of my post. :)

You simply can't buy a meter on ebay and install it....sorry. I am not doubting you done it. I am saying that you shouldn't have and this will most definitely cause you problems in the future.
i am capable of doing this safely and have done, the meter cost me £27 from ebay and installed it the same day after doing so i sent eon my photo of the install and thats all ive done so now they email me for my reading and ive just recently sent them my third reading. i didnt start this post to upset folks just to see if anyone else has done this.

i didnt start this post to upset folks just to see if anyone else has done this.

I dont think anybody is upset but there are doubts about your installation.
I would imagine the only savings you would gain by doing this is the standing charges as you would own the meter

Nobody is saying you didnt do it yourself, and im sure you do know what you are doing.

But are you a qualified electrician to perform such a job?.
EON are not going to know who fitted the meter by sending them a picture.

I could fit a gas cooker, but it does not make me qualified, if anybody got hurt i could be buying soap on a rope for several years 😵

Last edited:
I’m not qualified but do have enough knowledge to do a complete house rewire and do from time to time then get a friend to do a cert in it but eon have surprised me when they casually replied to my meter install notification as though it happens all the time and have asked me for nothing other than a photo then now they just ask for a reading each month via email and that’s my story really 😊

I would imagine the only savings you would gain by doing this is the standing charges as you would own the meter
Eon
Ofgem require every energy tariff to include a standing charge. The idea is that by making all energy plans follow the same price structure, it's easier to compare tariffs and identify the best one for you.
Whilst you have meters in your property, standing charges will be applied to your account.

Back