installing your own electricity meter!

Tbh I wouldn’t think Eons give a flying feck as long as they are getting paid for their electric.
If anything went wrong with the installation this would be down to the installer and the person who certified it.
The homeowner would probably foot the bill if someone from the grid or their supplier had to come out to have a look at any possible repercussions from a poor installation.
I can’t see a problem if the work carried out has been done to a regulation standard.
But I will say it again you can’t save money by just swapping your meter, unless it has been modified in some way.
Can @ir4dex post a link to the eBay listing or a description of the meter he purchased.
Did the listing state that the meter could save you money 🤔

i understand what your saying but do you class a picture being sent to EON as proof of a certified installation?
No, I see his point but I also say by law you have to have it certified. I agree with both points.
1) don't be shy tackling a job
2) make sure if by law you have to have it certified then do so

What I'm trying to say is, there are good builders tradesmen with the quals and some shockers who hide behind the paperwork but wouldn't know sh*t from clay

Tbh I wouldn’t think Eons give a flying feck as long as they are getting paid for their electric.
If anything went wrong with the installation this would be down to the installer and the person who certified it.
The homeowner would probably foot the bill if someone from the grid or their supplier had to come out to have a look at any possible repercussions from a poor installation.
I can’t see a problem if the work carried out has been done to a regulation standard.
But I will say it again you can’t save money by just swapping your meter, unless it has been modified in some way.
Can @ir4dex post a link to the eBay listing or a description of the meter he purchased.
Did the listing state that the meter could save you money 🤔
I think its this one, you put money in it and use the same £1 over and over

Meter

:D

i understand what your saying but do you class a picture being sent to EON as proof of a certified installation?
i myself absolutely wouldn't accept a photo of the meter and tails as proof of safe work but as yet that's all they've asked for so if they would like to physically check my install i will be more than happy to let them. Some folks on here seem to think im having a laugh but im very sincere in what ive posted and was only wondering if anyone else has done this was all. :)

@ir4dex

Was the reason you installed the meter just cause they never showed to appointments to do it or was it cause you thought it was going to be cheaper bills longterm? I ask as im with @avid here the usage should still be the same unless the meter is modded some how.
my reason was solely because they had missed more than one appointment in the past and i had a couple of friends telling me to just go ahead and do it, so i rang them and told them to collect their meter from me and they did so and i might add they came to my address within 24 hours and never mentioned coming in and viewing my install to my surprise which i would have been more than happy to allow them to.

Thats the problem.
Theres a huge difference between knowledge and being qualified.
If something was to go wrong, lets say a fire occurred, you would not have a leg to stand on, and whoever is issuing certs for you would also be in trouble.
you would find out instantly if you wired the tails the wrong way and you dont have to touch nothing more than these and remove the main fuse to do so.

You have not addressed the point about how by changing the meter can save money, because it can’t unless the meter has been modified in some way.🤔

my reason was solely because they had missed more than one appointment in the past and i had a couple of friends telling me to just go ahead and do it, so i rang them and told them to collect their meter from me and they did so and i might add they came to my address within 24 hours and never mentioned coming in and viewing my install to my surprise which i would have been more than happy to allow them to.
If you had their meter why would you not just install that instead of buying a new one?

You have not addressed the point about how by changing the meter can save money, because it can’t unless the meter has been modified in some way.🤔
I agree. Thought the meters were just to measure the units of electricity/gas used! Unless this meter has been modified and not keeping correct track of units used then it makes no difference as it's the supplier that is deciding how much kw per unit you get charged :)

The meters that are installed have security tabs, so that nobody can tamper with them, and I thought it was an offence to tamper with the meters?

The meters that are installed have security tabs, so that nobody can tamper with them, and I thought it was an offence to tamper with the meters?
they do and are widely available on ebay and thats what i have done.

If you had their meter why would you not just install that instead of buying a new one?
their meter was installed but they were constantly contacting me to have a smart meter fitted and then not turning up to the appointments so i just bought and fit my own. Maybe when winter comes i will have saved nothing at all but as of a few months ago and me giving them my meter reading my bill has been a little lower than it was.

the meter is just a simple digital meter and was installed by myself and other because i dont want a smart meter fitted and was getting fed up of taking time off and them not turning up for an appointment so now i just send them a reading via email which i receiver off them monthly and thats it.

the meter is just a simple digital meter and was installed by myself and other because i dont want a smart meter fitted and was getting fed up of taking time off and them not turning up for an appointment so now i just send them a reading via email which i receiver off them monthly and thats it.
So basically you will not be saving any money by changing the meter.
Your originally post is misleading by stating you are saving a small fortune along with several friends, who have changed their meters. Well at least that has been cleared up.
You do realise your bills tend to drop in the summer months. 🙄

Your originally post is misleading by stating you are saving a small fortune along with several friends, who have changed their meters. Well at least that has been cleared up.

well my bill has been around 10£ less a month but as you say the winter is coming and im just comparing my bill to the months previous but they were also in the summer but time will tell i guess but i wont be wasting my time any longer for non kept appointments from eon.

they no longer have a reason to enter my property and waste my time on failed to attend appointments as i own the meter and consumer unit.

Back