radiators warm upstairs and cold down stairs

Hmm yes there should be something even if they are sludged,even cool to the touch,
I dont really buy into the whole power flush stuff tbh,I installed my heating about 20yrs ago,before there was this whole "thing" about inhibitors etc,and its still going strong as it was the first day it was installed,newer boiler now but no flushing etc etc,

Is it a combi boiler or a heating boiler?

If it was me,I would find out where the heat stops and see if I could crack a fitting near there to see if there is any air trapped,
sometimes years ago there used to be a valve put on the return pipe at the hot press so you could adjust how fast the water flowed to the cylinder first before going to the rads,

During the summer you would open this fully as all you wanted was hot water,then when winter came you would turn it back so as to balance the ratio of flow between the cylinder and the rads,

Dont suppose you have this valve and have forgotten to adjust it?
its a combi boiler i got a local guy coming in morning in 5 years i never touched the boiler.

While it's true I'm tired (and a little, erm, refreshed)...

...the powerflush thing doesn't work for me - I've taken rads off and got some sludge out, true, but they still got warm.

Open all rad valves, put the heating on full-bore and bleed all rads. If you get no result then get Mr Plumber in for a look-see.

Beware Plumber's Whistle ;)

its a combi boiler i got a local guy coming in morning in 5 years i never touched the boiler.

Probably your best bet,but make sure he tells you exactly whats wrong and what steps he is taking to put it right,
you might learn something useful,and most importantly let us know ;)

Probably your best bet,but make sure he tells you exactly whats wrong and what steps he is taking to put it right,
you might learn something useful,and most importantly let us know ;)

Hope he dosent do the head scratch and the tut tut we need a new boiler and you might as well change the rads while your at it routine :(

the plumber is saying the problem is that i have blocked boiler that not circuting hot water and only way to clear this is a powerflush

the plumber is saying the problem is that i have blocked boiler that not circuting hot water and only way to clear this is a powerflush

Ok I'm no expert on combi boilers as they are not as common over here,but if the boiler is blocked then you would not be getting any heat anywhere,
BUT if he will guarantee you that will work and if not will either refund you or find and fix the original problem for the same price,then there's not much to lose,except another day without heat :)

open the ventile en let out all the air of al the radiators.
Control that you stil have 1 a 1.5 bar after that.
Repeat removing the air out the radiators so long if there is air.

Is the heat exchanger blocked?

Ok I'm no expert on combi boilers as they are not as common over here,but if the boiler is blocked then you would not be getting any heat anywhere,
BUT if he will guarantee you that will work and if not will either refund you or find and fix the original problem for the same price,then there's not much to lose,except another day without heat :)
first guy gave up so i never payed him so i called second guy out he had look and we noticed that when we turn hot water on the boiler fires up but boiler does not fire up when heating is on

Might be worth investing in a magnaclean or a similar product

Tbh just reading your first post I would say your pump is gone on the boiler,your rads upstairs are getting warm because heat rises , post the model of the pump on here 2old as you might be able to buy just a normal CH pump and just change the head

If boiler does not fire up when the heating is turned on then it has to be some solenoid or switch surely,if the pump is running,
as stated I'm no expert but its a matter of elimination and Jimmyp probably knows more then I do regarding combi's anyway ;)

If boiler does not fire up when the heating is turned on then it has to be some solenoid or switch surely,if the pump is running,
as stated I'm no expert but its a matter of elimination and Jimmyp probably knows more then I do regarding combi's anyway ;)

Dave I just sell I'm no expert lol but it does sound like the pump to me but I might be wrong

You stick to ur oil matey lol

they where couple day ago none are working or warming up now. the guy put somthing next to pump i could see it spinning

2old are you getting hot water if yes then maybe the divertor valve might be your problem

I thought pumps were magnetically coupled so you can only tell if the motor is rotating, not the impeller?

Back