Help with Heating system

shaun127

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
We Don't Do Walking Away. I would rather die with
Outside worcester oil boiler and 6 radiators NO Separate water tank. The outside tank has a hot water tank to store hot water.
Downstairs rads red hot. upstairs bathroom, and bedrooms cold.
AirLock?

How do you properly bleed rads to get rid of air lock. Heating left on ? heating switched off? furthest radiator from boiler 1st or nearest rad to boiler 1st . all others turned off and only the one your bleeding on?

Theres so many conflicting videos and instructions online.

Any heating engineer tell me for sure how to proceed

Thank you

Last edited:
Turn the heating on , all radiators on then use the bleeding key on the ones that are cold , you will hear the air coming out and then a little water will escape , then tighten it back up

if there was a lot of air you may need to top up the pressure on the boiler

Just took the front off boiler, Pressure low below 1 bar. says in book ,
If a sealed system pressure drops below 1 bar the system should be repressurised to between 1 and 1.5
bar using the filling link (refer to page 7).

should have a fill loop on the bottom if not ask someone that knows a little better than my self

Filling loop will look like a flexible pipe with an on/off valve,the type you have near your taps etc,my filling loop is just above my boiler

Does it have a circulation pump with a big flat head screw on the face? as it could be the pump that needs bled.

Thanks Ian, I dont know Bud. Ill have a look on Monday, Im heading away now till tomorrow.
Oily Thanks. Ill take a look tomorrow or monday depending on weather. if it has the filling link is it just a matter of bleeding the rads, then turn both taps on till boiler pressure gauge reads between 1. and 1.5, then turn taps off?

I would get the system up to pressure and bleed each radiator until a trickle of water comes out. I would also try and bleed the pump if it had a bleed screw on it.
Then turn the heating on and see if the upstairs rads get hot, if not then turn the downstairs radiators off. Also see if the pump has a speed adjustment on it and turn it up to full speed.

When my boiler loses pressure(got a leak i can't find :( ) i just fill it via the filling loop then bleed the rads,don't touch the taps at all?

The pressure can drop because the expansion tank in the sealed system becomes low in pressure or the bladder inside the tank has got an air leak, you can check the air pressure with a gauge like you would on a car it will have a valve just like a car tyre, if water comes out of the tank when letting air out it will be burst, if just air then the bladder should be ok, in your manual there will be a a part that tells you how much pressure should be in the vessel 0.7 bar to maybe 1.0 bar, i have used a bicycle pump in the past to put the air back in, I think they are filled with an inert gas at the factory, but a good old air is fine. So let the pressure out of the system then check the pressure in the expansion tank if its low bring it up to pressure with a pump to the correct value, then fill the system to the correct bar pressure.

you don't have to have a leak for this to happen.

Update, Opened up boiler and found filling link, filled and pressure is back up to 1.5 bar, All rads hot bar 1 radiator which has no air soon as you open air vent water comes out, But its stone cold, Ive took the themostat off and checked that the little push valve is not stuck and its working ok, I have one hot pipe going to the rad.

Check the other return valve is open mate if it is and the pipe feels hot at valve then it would point to a faulty trv

Thanks Ian, Im sure the other return valve is open Ian as its never been touched , This Rad is last in the line of rads (furthest away from boiler) Im wondering if pump is not creating enough pressure to pump water to last rad although its hot to the return valve? TRV = thermostat?

Back