Help with heating system problem

willin

DW Regular
Reaction score
Bit of a story here,
I have a potterton prima 40b central heating boiler, it’s a fully pumped system with a hot water tank, a few weeks ago I had a problem with the boiler where every so often the pilot would go out and the overheat sensor reset button would have to be reset and the pilot relit. Got a gas fitter to replace the overheat sensor and service it. When we switched the electric back on the boiler fired up even though everything was switched off by the timer control switch also the pump ran constantly, as the lad was off on holiday for a few days I controlled the HW and Heating manually turning up or down the room stat and the boiler stat as necessary. While doing this I noticed a slight leak on the three port motorised valve next to the HW boiler in the cupboard upstairs. When the lad came back, I got him to replace that valve as a precaution (nothing really to do with the problem) wiring identical and it works fine. The heating pump which is above the boiler has packed in now so no heating etc. ATM, I need to replace that as well FFS.
There is a fused switch on the wall next to the boiler for all electrics, timer/programmer next to it (siemens RWB29), replaced about 10 years ago, I have reset this to see if that was the problem, and bought a new programmer (which I can get a refund) but the fault is identical, the thing is the whole system has been in for over 20 years LOL and all worked absolutely fine.
Got an electrician coming out tomorrow to do some testing, has anyone any ideas as to what it could be?
Probably nothing to do with anything but we did have a power cut for about 6 hours not long before all of this.

TIA.

Solved –
It was the pump overrun stat. I am told you have a permanent live to the boiler and a switched live to the boiler from the programmer. The pump is wired into the boiler pump connections on the boiler connection strip, the stats have a changeover built in so leaving the pump running for 3 mins after the stats have switched off and after the programmer has turned off it then switches back to the normal operating mode ready for the next call for heat.
As mine was faulty, the pump ran constantly and the programmer would not switch it off!

Yep had the same problem, it is supposed to be an economy thing where the last bit of heat is extracted from the boiler when it shuts off. Turns out it is more trouble than it is worth. Been disconnected.

Yep had the same problem, it is supposed to be an economy thing where the last bit of heat is extracted from the boiler when it shuts off. Turns out it is more trouble than it is worth. Been disconnected.

Absolutely WRONG, the pump overun is to protect the heat exchanger and other parts of the boiler from what would be constant heat when the boiler switches off.

The overun is built into the thermostat so I don't see how you could turn it off unless you disconnected the stat, in which case you would have the same problem I had.

Back