Personal Computer Show 1987

And can you remember after you had a tape full of games and you had noted down all of the counter numbers to fast forward to the game you would have to play until you could hear the long beeeeeeeeeeep, before the game actually started loading.

yep i remember doing this with a game to load the different tracks

Best game on the Amiga was Lemmings........"Oh no!!!"

i used to love fire and ice on that thing, so i got it for the pc and it isnt the same.

plus i remember playing pinball for hours on end with me dad having competitions, it was great.

i was an amiga fan, the commadore didnt appeal to me even tho my friend had one.

if any one had an amiga, they had well over 100 games guaranteed.

i stupidly gave away all my games in school coz i didnt think i would want them, but a year later i wanted to play it again.

Last edited:
So out of curiosity witchy, could you not just have done a tape to tape job in order to copy a game or did you have to use the action replay cartridge?

Tape to tape on an old Hi-Fi mate like everyone else. :)

I even built a wee contraption that allowed me to connect two Commodore tape decks together and as 1 cassette was loading the other cassette was backing up the game.

But I eventually bought a thing called a 'Freeze Frame' which dumped the contents of the RAM and saved it to tape for you, it then compressed the RAM image and added a turbo-loader and your backups loaded up much quicker

Thanks for clearing that up, I'm off to try and decipher the security device for Tommahawk on the Amstrad 6128.

All my gaming gear is now in storage :( I managed to take one last pic before the box got buried with the others. Hopefully some of you will enjoy looking at the covers LOL (I certainly do)

I'm surprised no one mentioned Ping Pong, I'd forgotten about it too. From what I remember it was a classic.

all those games are class, think i had em all, i think you could complete yi ar kung fu by just sweeping all the time.

first ever console i had was a binatone, i think, even had a light gun or was that my nes?

I bought a really old Binatone on eBay at the beginning of the year, I'm sure the manufacture date was something like 1973. :)

all those games are class, think i had em all, i think you could complete yi ar kung fu by just sweeping all the time.

first ever console i had was a binatone, i think, even had a light gun or was that my nes?

That moved worked most of the time but the guy with the ball and chain wouldn't fall for that.

-

1973 is very early for any gaming system! Is it bat and ball type games? The graphics must be huge chinks of blocks LOL.

Not sure if you've heard of it but I came across a Vectrx in my clear out. I may fire it up to see if it still works.

Worst thing i done was swap my amiga with loadsa games for a SNES with 13 games.

I loved kick start and ninja commando on the C64, still find my self whistling the theme tune to kick start.

Does anyone remember the Dizzy games? Wasted to much time playing those.

Reading this thread has made me feel old but I'm glad I ain't a kid today as they can only look back and wish they were there, in between stabbing one another.

Worst thing i done was swap my amiga with loadsa games for a SNES with 13 games.

I loved kick start and ninja commando on the C64, still find my self whistling the theme tune to kick start.

Does anyone remember the Dizzy games? Wasted to much time playing those.

Reading this thread has made me feel old but I'm glad I ain't a kid today as they can only look back and wish they were there, in between stabbing one another.

yeh i remember dizzy, im sure i got stuck on the tree level,i think if you went right there was water and you needed the air mask to go past, i tried for ages to get past but i couldnt do it, i was only young aswell so that might have been the problem.

I remember Spindizzy and Marble Madness but not Dizzy, but it sounds like a completely different genre to the games that I have mentioned.

Ahh the Dizzy series. I remember completing Fantasy World Dizzy.

As for Amigs/ST, I had em both but actually prefered the ST because the amiga games would take up 2 or more disks whereas you would get 2 or 3 games on a disk for the ST, think it was soemthing to do with compression.

My favourites on them were:
Mega-lo-Mania
Sensible Word of Soccer (I think Sensi Soccer originated from Mega-lo-mania)
Populous
Dune 2
Player Manager (I think thats what it was called, it was a Kick-Off manager game)
Grand Prix
Elite 2: Frontier

Looking at the games now, some of them look a bit naff but others still look good.

That moved worked most of the time but the guy with the ball and chain wouldn't fall for that.

-

1973 is very early for any gaming system! Is it bat and ball type games? The graphics must be huge chinks of blocks LOL.

Not sure if you've heard of it but I came across a Vectrx in my clear out. I may fire it up to see if it still works.

Vectrex!

Awesome machine, I didn't own one but a mate did :)

All the games were drawn with vector graphics, Asteroids was fantastic on it, didn't the screen come with coloured plastic sheets to colourize the games? :)

RE my old Binatone, yes it's basically a Pong machine with a switch to change the mode of play, IIRC it has Pong and Tennis with an option to incresed the bat size or select doubles, the controls are rotary dials and there is no 'fire' button. :)

I'll double check the date, but I'm sure it's really early.

also had a PC Engine, think it was made by NEC, r-type and sidearms rocked on that little box

also had a PC Engine, think it was made by NEC, r-type and sidearms rocked on that little box

I swapped my Nintendo VirtualBoy for a PC Engine Tubo Grafix 16. Wish I had kept it now. It was a great idea but made you look stupid. I remember when I first got it from Florida coming back on the plane with my face stuck into these huge red goggle type things on a stand.

The PC Engine was a great machine though for RPG games. It had the choice of either little cards or CDs.

Bonk's Revenge was a class game!

Vectrex!
Asteroids was fantastic on it, didn't the screen come with coloured plastic sheets to colourize the games? :)

RE my old Binatone, yes it's basically a Pong machine with a switch to change the mode of play, IIRC it has Pong and Tennis with an option to incresed the bat size or select doubles, the controls are rotary dials and there is no 'fire' button. :)

I'll double check the date, but I'm sure it's really early.

Yep its the one with the crappy plastic sheets. I'm going to have a bash at it over the weekend so it should be a good laugh.

I swapped my Nintendo VirtualBoy for a PC Engine Tubo Grafix 16. Wish I had kept it now. It was a great idea but made you look stupid. I remember when I first got it from Florida coming back on the plane with my face stuck into these huge red goggle type things on a stand.

The PC Engine was a great machine though for RPG games. It had the choice of either little cards or CDs.

Bonk's Revenge was a class game!

Lol dave and earwig had these old skool consoles. I remember the PC Engine but I never played on it. I did play R Type on a Neo Geo arcade board of some sort, I cant quite remember what it was called.

I always wanted a Virtual Boy until the stories started coming out in the papers about the damage they did to your eyes. I'll have a quick looksy on ebay and see what they go for now. Are you eyes OK earwig or do you wear thick glasses LOL?

I do have a Tomy Tronic though, I think its the car game.

NeoGeo, way too expensive, was it SNK? basically a proper arcade machine for the home, had a cool controller though.

Last edited:
It could have been a SNK but I'm not sure. I think it was an actual arcade board of some kind that you could attach a arcade joystick to. I'll ask my mate what it was called. I think they cost around £200 in the early 90's.

R-Type on it was very difficult, I never did mange to clock it.

I always wanted a Virtual Boy until the stories started coming out in the papers about the damage they did to your eyes. I'll have a quick looksy on ebay and see what they go for now. Are you eyes OK earwig or do you wear thick glasses LOL?

My etes sre finr! ;)

oooo, flashback, what about the Jaguar, was it the 1st 64bit console, i think i remember Tempest.

Back