Openbox Signal problems

one of the selling points for the s10 was the tuner can be replaced,and also an option for a terrestrial tuner.But I have never seen a dvb-t tuner for it or the supporting firmware.

Ok I don't think the s9 can easily have the tuner replaced. However it just happens I have a s10 here with a faulty tuner, I have now ordered one and took out the old one, seems a very tight fit where it connects to the board!!

with the s10 you have to loosen all the screws on the mainboard and pull it forward to insert the tuner properly.
With the tuner out, the info screen will show all zeroes for id's and the clone detection kicks in after 3 boots.

Looks good, where did you put it? Or did you buy one for each box?
Cheers

with the s10 you have to loosen all the screws on the mainboard and pull it forward to insert the tuner properly.
With the tuner out, the info screen will show all zeroes for id's and the clone detection kicks in after 3 boots.

So to get to the main board screws I have to loosen the efnet and the card read, ohh and the line in housing screws?

AlanDogg is that on the s9 or s10's?

So to get to the main board screws I have to loosen the efnet and the cardread, oh and the line in housing screws?

never said it was easy.
I don't use the cardreader so out that went.Keeps the insides breathing better.

I got my s10 tuner from China today. Fitted it in the box and eurika it worked :)
Now to search for a good services set up

Ok...if anyone wants to give me their perceived "broken tuner" s9 receivers...I will take them all day long. But I will just post here what I have learned on my search to fix this issue that seems to plague people here as it did me. I had the same EXACT problems as to the tuning. I would have signal one second and not the next or sometimes not at all. My other recvrs worked fine on the same line, lnb and switches. What told me it was the s9 is that I have a Vbox to control my C-band dish...when I turned on the s9 with the vbox connected...the display on the vbox went crazy! Power fluctuations was causing the display to turn on and off and dim the lcd display. Enough of the background...after searching the net, I found the solution to MY problem. The reason I say this, is because I can't say it would fix yours...but have a sneakin feeling that it will. ::: Open the recvr and look for the tuner. Beside the tuner on the board there is an orange capacitor disk (the only one beside the tuner). I soldered a jumper wire between the two legs (not difficult, just make a connection)...put the recvr back together and voila!!! Rock solid tuning!!! No power flux, and I couldn't be happier!

Really...I hope this will help pull a lot of s9 recvrs out of the closet!!! Please post if this helps you in your situation!

Last edited:
it's a yellow varistor,not an orange capacitor.
Not wise to bypass a fuse unless your fire insurance is paid up.

So to get to the main board screws I have to loosen the efnet and the card read, ohh and the line in housing screws?

Sorry for the late reply..Was on S9s & S10s...S11 was fine :)

it's a yellow varistor,not an orange capacitor.
Not wise to bypass a fuse unless your fire insurance is paid up.

Thanks for the education, as I really didn't know what it was called. I googled it and that was the closest image that I could come up with as I am not electronically inclined that way. Its the ONLY one near the tuner. Wise or not...I was sharing the information that got my machine up and running. To the insurance reference...come on... really? You can really do better than that. There are plenty fail safe measures on that board. Again... just saying what worked for me.

the fuse is there for a purpose.
Previous threads mentioned replacing.If parts aren't available they can be stripped out of old receivers.
My old microyal mrx900 had the same varistor.

Probably not a fire threat to bypass the thermistor. It only protects the external devices from damage due to over current. Not the same as a fuse protecting the ac supply where a fire could start.
Honestly if you remember to shut off the power when connecting coax F-connectors you could actually leave it bypassed. The replacement part is cheap, just get one when you can.

Back