netger (refurbed router?) - no internet connection!!

lefty1

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi i bought a dsl netgear router from ebay.

i couldn't get internet connection on my laptop through the router, but the pc is working fine with the modem connected to the router.

i called netgear and they told me my product was a refurbed one and that they couldn't help me. I'm so annoyed i got conned on ebay in buying a refurbed product.

Am I stuck with no internet now through the router, or can i get this thing to work?

The laptop recognises the router and is connected to it, but there is no connectivity to the internet? can someone savvy help out...?

thanks guys

are you on vista with laptop??

apaarantly it has issues with compatibility as i have netgear and says on the laptop the same thing

yup im on vista on the laptop..............what now then?

is there a software update for compatibility??

hang on, you can connect to the net via your pc? but not when it's connected to the lap top

xp or vista on your pc

xp or vista on your laptop

how you connecting your laptop to the router? network cable or wireless?

sounds like you need to turn on wireless connection, thats if router you got has wireless, few more details so we can help you out.

yeah i was thinking if he's trying to connect either wireless or using the network card on the laptop then it sounds like either ip config settings, maybe the lap top has been given an ip address that is out of range instead of DHCP for now.

I would also recommend giving the router a hard rest, normally holding the button in for about 15 seconds near the aerial on the back. then putting a patch cable into it from the pc and hitting 192.168.1.1 in the browser, get to the config page for the router and start a fresh. you don't know what settings have been used and may still be in the bios of the router.

but if you connect your pc and that finds an ip address automatically then the router is working which of course you know.

but if your using the lap top in the same manner i.e hard wired and your not getting no INTERNET connectivity then check the ip config settings and for now until you get up and running enable DHCP. (this means that when you connect the router and the lap top the router will give out a valid ip address to the lap top)

Last edited:
are you on vista with laptop??

apaarantly it has issues with compatibility as i have netgear and says on the laptop the same thing
no compatability problems with netgear and vista
mine works ok and never had any problems
and have connected many computers to it
running xp and vista

PC:

ok i have XP on the PC - Internet is working fine - i have ****** media as my ISP.

Connectivity:

RJ45 Ethernet cable from netgear router to cable modem - RJ45 ethernet cable from router to PC.

LAPTOP:

Have windows Vista.
Wireless is on.
Found router
But limited or no connectivity to the internet.
Took the Laptop to mates house, laptop initially had the same prob, but then enabled sharing - and got full internet connectivity.

Tried this at home - but same prob as previous.

I have Netgear WGT624 v3

ok go to the config page of the router and have a look at wireless settings.

Can you also check the ip on the wireless card is dhcp enabled (just for now until we get you up and running)

on the router config page under wireless is there any encryption?

a good thing to check is well..... what does yours say? under workgroup

Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
ok on the router page - under wireless settings:

I've set up a WEP encryption.

do you want me to look at my laptop for workgroups or pc?

on my laptop it says:

workgroup: workgroup

and pc

workgroup: MSHOME

Can you also check the ip on the wireless card is dhcp enabled (just for now until we get you up and running)

HOw do i check this? and on the laptop or pc?

you can leave encryption off for now like, but up to you.

Look at workgroup for now on your lap top and then on the router home page have a look at what it says.

i would change them both to what your router states like example

too share files on your network and do many other things you need this set to the same on all computers connected to each other.

rouer.jpg

Ok so your laptop connects to the router with no problems but shows the "Little or no connectivity" icon in the bottom...??

Take all the wireless security off the router and see if you can connect to it....it may be that your wireless device does not support the security setup...

right click on the wireless network connection and then go to internet protocol, then properties....

Untitled1.jpg

JUST TO HELP YOU GUYS

Router Status

Account Name WGT624v3
Hardware Version V3H1
Firmware Version V2.0.16_1.0.1NA

Internet Port
MAC Address 00:16:76:66:bd:3c
IP Address 82.4.74.232
DHCP DHCPClient
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.252.0
Domain Name Server

LAN Port
MAC Address 00:18:4D:8E:99:76
IP Address 192.168.1.1
DHCP ON
IP Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Wireless Port
Name (SSID) NETGEAR
Region United States
Channel 11
Mode g and b
Wireless AP ON
Broadcast Name ON

I HAVE DISABLED WEP ENCRYPTION - BUT NO LUCK.

I HAVE NOW CHANGED WORKGROUP ON THE LAPTOP TO WHAT IT SAYS ON THE ROUTER PAGE.

Account Name WGT624v3 ( so all your computer workgroup names are the same as this)

i also notice this

Region United States

you should be able to change that.

Last edited:
Umm.....this may help...

change the region....it is set to "Region United States"

Dammit....beaten to it.....lol

OK IL CHANGE IT TO THAT.

Right, im on properties for internet protocol version 4

ok is it set to DCHP.

You gotta change the region though, so a fresh reset and then when you 1st go back to the router's home page it will run you through the set up program i think this is where you change it.

Back