Nandpro - Could Not Detect Flash Controller

Midnight Tboy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Yellos.

ok so I'm doing my first jtag attempt

Being a noob at soldering - it took forever and a day (well ok a few hours) to get the wires etc soldered together...and had nightmare time trying to get them on the board but eventually got there.

The connections 'seem' to be fine, testing with a multimeter and can't spot any shorts.

This is using 5x100ohms on the cable, and also including the 1n4148 switching diode. I have not put the other 3 cables on as I read that is not needed until the point after the nand has been backed up.

However on Nandpro, when running, it scans 3 ports, then I get "Could Not Detect Flash Controller"

argghhhh

Power is connected to 360 btw....switched on at plug socket - but not actually turning the 360 on..

I've tried with brand new pcs with fresh XP image, and also on a trusty ancient xbox-flasher pc with the same issue.

Again rechecking my soldering and it seems ok.

Any ideas what I can do?

The 360 powers up when the lpt cable is not plugged in, and refuses to power on when its connected to the pc which I've read is what should happen (no brick light change however - just stays amber?)

I've searched a bit and someone mentioned trying taking the 100ohm resistors off which worked for them....followed by others saying if you do and it sends a 5v down the lpt then it most likely will fry the 360 eek.

Should I even attempt that? Whats best way to tell if getting the 5v down the lpt to see if I could do that? (presume with multimeter but not sure what settings)

Also should I try taking the switching diode off (It is the correct way with the Black line facing the motherboard btw) or will that be pointless?

I'm working from this pic btw in effect

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/7332/wiringforxenondiagramre.jpg

and looking at the pic I have based "pin 1" on the lpt as being "on the photo of it it shows the side where you connect to the lpt (because the screws are facing other way), and so therefore in effect when soldering the layout is mirrored - so facing the lpt when soldering = pin 1 on top left

Also I have the tried the lpt mode in ECP, EPP, and ECP+EPP, also with a couple of different addresss

Last edited:
Usually means bad connection/too long a cable ect. I used this picture for mines. Although it does seem identical so I guess you need to 1st off try shortening your cable. then if that fails i would use lower value resistors. Then failing all that im afraid you would have to go the "risky" way of removing all resistors.
Final.jpg

switching diode was right way round yup - though I just tried it without and still same thing. Not sure whether to put the diode back on again.

And yup power supply is connected and switched on at wall.

Cable is pretty short already...have got the 360 and pc back to back and it only just reaches more or less - though could take another inch off too I guess.

Don't have any other resistor types just 100s.

Going to change the lpt head in a bit and redo all that side (keeping the 100s on for now)

Diddy.....can I check with you....on that pic you're looking at right now - is that meant to be as if you're facing the cable end that would plug to pc? ie the regular side of cable you would see if it was in its sealed plastic?

Hope its not something as stupid as that :)

Usually means bad connection/too long a cable ect. I used this picture for mines. Although it does seem identical so I guess you need to 1st off try shortening your cable. then if that fails i would use lower value resistors. Then failing all that im afraid you would have to go the "risky" way of removing all resistors.
Final.jpg
light blue "turquoise" and green are wrong that pick needs up dating i have edited that pic for the link

sorry my bad im in the wrong place ignore what i said lol

Last edited:
huh? Now I'm really confused.

I thought that wire that bridges across (the change you made) is for the SMC-JTAG - on J2D2...NOT J1D1 which I'm on - for the lpt port

edit - aah ok then - just typed that as you reedited :)

I'm actually thinking its simply my shit soldering...plus shit wire.

I used the wire from inside the lpt cable when I chopped the end off.

The wire is stranded wire.

To my eye when its in it looks fine and can't see anything touching - but took a photo and zoomed in and it looks a mess with strands about everywhere.

I'm concerned about some dark spots over some tracks though - hope I haven't foobar'd it. Will upload pic in a few mins

huh? Now I'm really confused.

I thought that wire that bridges across (the change you made) is for the SMC-JTAG - on J2D2...NOT J1D1 which I'm on - for the lpt port

edit - aah ok then - just typed that as you reedited :)
sorry m8 im just hyped up as i just done mine after sorting out the rrod and refitting the nand as i removed it for testing. yes your right that link is for the smc jtag

Right - first pic uploaded (bloody speed cap)

P1060544.jpg

I've took all but 2 of the wires off for now to try to tidy some of it up - and them 2 wires look "okay...ish"...though theres a bit of strand on the blue one dont know if need to be worried about.

More concerned at the mo about any potential permanent damage I've done with the dark area covering the 3 tracks on the right. Do you think that will be ok?

Also re the wires.....would I be beter off with a different kind of wire - I know the strands and driving me potty when nearly get it in and then it splits off to another direction etc

Right - first pic uploaded (bloody speed cap)

P1060544.jpg

I've took all but 2 of the wires off for now to try to tidy some of it up - and them 2 wires look "okay...ish"...though theres a bit of strand on the blue one dont know if need to be worried about.

More concerned at the mo about any potential permanent damage I've done with the dark area covering the 3 tracks on the right. Do you think that will be ok?

Also re the wires.....would I be beter off with a different kind of wire - I know the strands and driving me potty when nearly get it in and then it splits off to another direction etc
sorry to be the bearer of bad news but that's some shit solder going on their do you not have any solder flux??

Hiya,

I've re attached most of them now - a little bit tidier with much less solder.

Still have no response from nandpro on testing (diode still off tho)

I do have rosin flux too that I bought off ebay...before I started I dabbed it in it - the pen is quite thick mind and can't be precise with it? (never used one before :))

I dont mind the criticism of how shit a solderer I am...I know that...but thought maybe I could overcome that fear lol....

Trouble is I've been at it since about 2pm and its driving me potty!! On top of sometimes taking ages just to get a single wire attached...and then this - not knowing which one is to blame (multimeter reads fine from point to point and doesnt detect any shorts around the nearest adjacent connections)... so it makes knowing what to try next a complete chore and a half

I actually dont know how you guys manage it with just 2 hands!!

Even simple things as joining 2 wires....need 1 hand for each wire, then one for solder iron, and one for the solder :)

I bought some "helping hands" to try to help with that side mind - but even going to mobo its a case of - solder + iron + wire = 3 hands required

Hiya,

I've re attached most of them now - a little bit tidier with much less solder.

Still have no response from nandpro on testing (diode still off tho)

I do have rosin flux too that I bought off ebay...before I started I dabbed it in it - the pen is quite thick mind and can't be precise with it? (never used one before :))

I dont mind the criticism of how shit a solderer I am...I know that...but thought maybe I could overcome that fear lol....

Trouble is I've been at it since about 2pm and its driving me potty!! On top of sometimes taking ages just to get a single wire attached...and then this - not knowing which one is to blame (multimeter reads fine from point to point and doesnt detect any shorts around the nearest adjacent connections)... so it makes knowing what to try next a complete chore and a half
im not criticizing you m8 just taking the piss lol have you tried it with the diodes??

Soldering 2 wires can be alot more tedius than this :)

I dont want to sound like Im preaching, but ...

Have you practiced on old boards?

Also, know the correct way to solder?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4[/ame]

A good insight (and highish quality video) on soldering, including the importance of flux, and placing iron on component instead of on solder etc....

I've just tried it with the 5 * 100ohms out of the equation.

Same thing still. Though the 360 still powers on when lpt is disconnected - so at least its not blown.

I've then tried it just now with the 5x100ohms still out and put the switching diode back in.....again no ball

im not criticizing you m8 just taking the piss lol have you tried it with the diodes??

You think I should do the SMC-JTAG points?

I thought those weren't needed yet.....as per this guide https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/226232/ they dont that until after the nand read

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldering 2 wires can be alot more tedius than this :)

I dont want to sound like Im preaching, but ...

Have you practiced on old boards?

Also, know the correct way to solder?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

A good insight (and highish quality video) on soldering, including the importance of flux, and placing iron on component instead of on solder etc....
thats a nice find m8 i had to do an exam once for celestica and that on video covers the whole caboodle except tomb stoning lol

just had a thought you do have port95 installed and are you using vista??

just watched the video - good video.

I did watch a couple of youtube guides before started - but didnt see that particular one. Before I got the rest of the bits delivered I never had any pcbs to test on, but just snipped the end of the lpt cable, and practiced soldering and desoldering onto that side.

Wasn't perfect like in the vids, but seemed like was doing ok lol.......and then it just gets into a ton of hurt once get near the motherboard and realise just how small the points are when trying to get my fat fingers down there and muhammed ali shaky hands.

Back