Have you done any Car Modding ?

D 8 RCS

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Still Lost and Looking for a Better Place.
Now I'm not talking about shoehorning a Chevy V8 into a Nissan Cube, I'm talking more about things that you consider improve your car experience. Such as changing seats, fitting a spoiler etc. I recently bought a 2010 Astra H Twintop (Steel Roofed Convertible) and have just started to change the colour of the centre console and dashboard lighting, which entails removing the old SMD LEDs which are a dull yellowish colour and soldering in new mainly blue SMD LEDs. I am not using a soldering iron, I'm using a Hot Air Soldering Kit which is basically a small variable heat gun that also has variable blowing power which I was told would be easier than using a soldering iron on some of the extremely small LEDs and I am finding it reasonably easy. Taking thing apart is a bit frightening at first but once you have done a couple of thinks your confidence kicks in

I would have to be careful what modding is done, as the changes might affect manufacturer's warranty or vehicle insurance, particularly if electrics are involved.

mainly in-car entertainment, based round pc installs, have converted a few speedo using canbus converters and other stuff like light and so on

I would have to be careful what modding is done, as the changes might affect manufacturer's warranty or vehicle insurance, particularly if electrics are involved.
It's a 2010 (14 year old) astra, there is no manufacturer's warranty for him to worry about.

To answer the ops question.

Yes I have been into modifying cars for years, i've done all sorts with various different cars (i've had over 50 cars over the last 20 odd years, most of them were performance cars which I then modified).

To answer the ops question.

Yes I have been into modifying cars for years, i've done all sorts with various different cars (i've had over 50 cars over the last 20 odd years, most of them were performance cars which I then modified).
You should give an example of some of the things you have done, it may inspire some of the others out there to give it a try.
I mean I'm 67 and the SMD LEDs lighting thing is the first time I've ever tried something like that and I have a Boot Lid Spoiler on order that I will need to rub down it maybe even need some filling done, then primer, paint and finally fitting although I'm not too sure on the fitting part as it requires gluing down in some way (no screws or bolts) which I think will need at least 2 people to do it. But who knows, I'll get it priced up first and then consider if it's worthwhile doing it myself.

I've done all sorts over the years.

Started off with swapping steel wheels for bigger ones, then moved onto swapping to Alloy wheels with wider tyres.

Then lowering springs, stainless steel exhausts, changing steering wheels, fitting brighter / different colour headlight bulbs, swapping out orange indicators for clear with silver/orange bulbs.

Later on chipped ecu's, coilovers, shiney bits in the engine bay and bigger turbos, injectors, fuel pumps, bigger intercoolers.

More recently, remapping ecu's, rebuilding and stroking engine from 1993cc to 2208cc, bigger turbo kit, bigger intercooler, injectors, twin fuel pumps, coilovers, decats, swapping seats, big brake kits, fitting bodykit from a later model of same car, removing stock intake plenum and fitting velocity stax, changing the diff for and lsd.

Over the years I have done alot of modifications to various cars, some cars were just minor changes and others were either stripped out track toys or road legal (ish) monsters.

Back