My Step by Step guide on how to install EASY 4.2 Hack with Pictures!

Hi well a big thanks to Bally I have softmodded my wii and put usb loader downloaded some games works a treat woo hoo. Only question I have left are.
1 How do I download pictures for the games on the hdu? And nand backup
2 what is the nand?
3 If I do a nand backup now will that mean if I have to do a restore the wii will be exactly as it is now or back to original state?

Cheers everyone

1. There is an option in the main menu of USB loader to download missing images, cycle through the views (Up n Down) n one of the views will show what button to press to enter the menu. (I've returned the one I did n can't remember, 1 I think it is)

2. The Nand is where the Wii file system is stored and why it's important to have a backup, you've had to modify this to gain access to the system n therefore it won't be original, but is a working backup! If done before copying folder 2 files as @madnlooney suggested it at least had a minimun amount of change. (I'm sure someone will expand on this or correct me if needed)

I Think the more important thing regading the nand is How would you go about restoring it if Required, If Bricked how would you get Bootme to run, given a boot2 or IOS backup? I haven't seen a difintive guide but I haven't looked that hard to be honest.

Was about to update wii to 4.2 online untill I noticed the warning in the first post

"
***IMPORTANT UPDATE***
It may no longer be safe to update wii software to 4.2e using online method as there is a new version. If you wish to use this guide to update to 4.2e please use an offline method"

Is there a tut/files to do an offline update about.

Thanks.

Was about to update wii to 4.2 online untill I noticed the warning in the first post

"
***IMPORTANT UPDATE***
It may no longer be safe to update wii software to 4.2e using online method as there is a new version. If you wish to use this guide to update to 4.2e please use an offline method"

Is there a tut/files to do an offline update about.

Thanks.

I know it's a bit of a long thread m8, but worth reading right through, 2 or 3 posts back sargie confirmed he had done the online update very recently, maybe a confirmed date could be tagged to the first post as members use the online update method.

If in doubt I'm sure I've seen a safe updater in the tut section here!

I know it's a bit of a long thread m8, but worth reading right through, 2 or 3 posts back sargie confirmed he had done the online update very recently, maybe a confirmed date could be tagged to the first post as members use the online update method.

If in doubt I'm sure I've seen a safe updater in the tut section here!

Yeah.

Also check places like wiki and the official nintendo site to fins info on the latest update. No harm in checking.

I would just like to say THANK YOU FANTASTIC I just followed this guide and you've got no idea how happy I am The last bit though did'nt work with folder 4 I still have to use the other. But who cares it works and thank you for the amount of work you put into the thread to make it easier for idiots like me.

Cheers cyberclog :banana:

hi all, please help, im following the tut now, but on installing folder 1, i dont get the option to 'install bootmii as boot 2 '

it just goes back to install boot mii/ios now

where am i going wrong

thanks for any help

just tried again and it says next to bootmii- 'the installed boot 1 version prevents a boot 2 install (-2)

??????

Last edited:
hi all, please help, im following the tut now, but on installing folder 1, i dont get the option to 'install bootmii as boot 2 '

it just goes back to install boot mii/ios now

where am i going wrong

thanks for any help

just tried again and it says next to bootmii- 'the installed boot 1 version prevents a boot 2 install (-2)

??????

if you have installed as ios but cant as boot2 then just carry on. some wiis cant install to boot2

if you have installed as ios but cant as boot2 then just carry on. some wiis cant install to boot2

thanks mate, was all ready to go and then fell at the first hurdle, lol, will it be ok to carry on ? dont want to muck it up for good

all sorted, works a treat many thanks :)

Last edited:
Somethings not right here and got me stumped.

I've been given someones old wii to update for them. It was on 3.4 and had some form of softmod on but not a clue who/where/whatversion.

Anyway....I upgraded to 4.2E using the safe upgrader....then followed the steps of the guide.

Afterwards I installed cios 222 and 223 for Configurable USB Loader to work

Now here's the problem....

Games work fine in USB Loader and when launched in Neogamma.

But for some reason, only a small amount of games will actually show up in the System Menu. At first I thought it was because they were US discs....but checked and they're definately PAL games...on top of which.....even if they were US I believe they normally would still show the game info...but black screen when launching.....but on this console....They spin a bit, then stop and the logo doesnt change from the disc?

Can't be the actual discs because like I say they play perfectly fine in neogamma, and read over to USB drive without any problems when testing?

Any ideas on whats up?

FWIW I also tried installing CIOS rev18 and rev19 on the offchance...but they seem to screw everything up...stopping any wads from being able to be installed....so had to remove them with cios uninstaller and then start again.

A few months ago before xmas I used a totally different guide for 4.2...which worked fine after some updating...but that guide when found it by history looks like has been removed from the DW site :( That guide had more steps to follow with anytitle updates, and suchlike - and so wonder if something has been missed from this Easy Guide (or at least pertaining to a halfmodded box on earlier firmware)

any ideas fellas?

wasn't the same guide but thanks for checking.

Think I've sorted it now though - by using the cioscorp uninstaller. Stupid me didnt think to read that thread as obv it was working in a fashion...so didnt think it would have needed an uninstall....but whatever was on this console before I got my grubby mits on it must have had some junk on there.

Ran the uninstall and then reinstalled again and all is good now :)

BTW....is there any reason Neogamma is build R7 in the pack? My old own console was running R8b15 or some number like that on it? Is r7 more reliable?

Plan to try putting cios rev17 on now :)

seems to me that something is still not right.

Has anyone who has used this guide, installed Cios Rev 18 or rev 19?

The moment you install either of them 2, afterwards you can no longer install anything with wad manager with an error code 1029 I think it was. I then have to use cios uninstaller and reinstall to get it back on.

I've tried updating from the guides rev14 to rev15 and rev 16...and they are fine...but the moment I go to 18 or 19 this problem happens?

Just trying rev17 right now to see what happens. I suspect that one 'should' work seeing as looks as you guys have used it but be interesting to see if yous could try the newer editions

update - yup rev17 is fine - just 18 and 19 that dont seem to like this.

update 2 - ohhh ffs - after putting rev17 on it again loses the ability for system menu to launch most titles

update 3 - right.....that wii is a twat lol. used CIOS uninstaller, reinstalled ciosrev14 from the guide, perforced cioscorp uninstall, then cioscorp reinstall, then rev17 and looks like its working again. Only thing I'm not 100% on is whether this time I chose to reinstall that cIOS53 - Trucha.wad file.

Stoopid things!! Still - no explanation on the rev18 and rev19 yet tho

Last edited:
seems to me that something is still not right.

Has anyone who has used this guide, installed Cios Rev 18 or rev 19?

The moment you install either of them 2, afterwards you can no longer install anything with wad manager with an error code 1029 I think it was. I then have to use cios uninstaller and reinstall to get it back on.

I've tried updating from the guides rev14 to rev15 and rev 16...and they are fine...but the moment I go to 18 or 19 this problem happens?

Just trying rev17 right now to see what happens. I suspect that one 'should' work seeing as looks as you guys have used it but be interesting to see if yous could try the newer editions

update - yup rev17 is fine - just 18 and 19 that dont seem to like this.

update 2 - ohhh ffs - after putting rev17 on it again loses the ability for system menu to launch most titles

update 3 - right.....that wii is a twat lol. used CIOS uninstaller, reinstalled ciosrev14 from the guide, perforced cioscorp uninstall, then cioscorp reinstall, then rev17 and looks like its working again. Only thing I'm not 100% on is whether this time I chose to reinstall that cIOS53 - Trucha.wad file.

Stoopid things!! Still - no explanation on the rev18 and rev19 yet tho

The CIOS's upto rev 17 use 38 as the base (CIOS38 rev 17etc) but rev 18 and 19 you get to choose the base (CIOSX rev 19).
I installed rev 19 with the default base value (57 I think) and had the same problem as you installing WAD's. Installed rev 19 with the base as 38 and could install WAD's again.
If you need to use 57 as the base for rev 19 the you can use a different IOS instead of 249 to install WAD's (223 worked I think).

well looks like I'd spoke too soon.

After like I'd said...installing uninstalling cioscorp, then reinstalling cioscorp, then installing rev17 (choosing rev 36 to install it under for the first part)....the discs WERE still being recognised in the system menu, but as I've just found out this morning when giving my son a test play of NSMB to check for the 5minute crash, when try to launch it just dumps back to the dashboard!! forever round in circles lol.

Right.....so think I'll run uninstaller then installer again on cioscorp and see what happens (Would I be right in thinking that probably removes the cios revisions too?)

When you say to install cioscorp rev 19 with base of 38......I take it you mean that 2nd option which you dont normally see in the earlier ciosrevs? So you still choose 36 or 249 or whichever when start the installer?

hadn't spoke too soon.

It was NSMB that was dropping to dash each time.

Anyway, I uninstalled cioscorp, then reinstalled cioscorp....then I installed cios rev19 under 38 as you suggested....and I can now still install with wadmanager yayyyy

But...NSMB still will not work directly from the system menu. It plays fine from USB Loader (with no crashes)....and getting tested by my son now when launching from disc in Neogamma

I've tested a few other games out though on the disc menu, all other games I've tried are no problem (Punch Out, Indiana Jones and a few more recent-ish ones) from the system menu, even NTSC discs.

Is the issue still not fixed with NSMB loading from the system menu, as it was a few months ago now so thought might have been fixed, or does it still need disc patching/usbloading? Are there any other games now that have the same effect?

update....still crashes with Neogamma.....

.....sooooo am on rev19, region free and other games work fine, NSMB goes straight back to system menu from the main game channel, and get the 5minute crash when in neogamma, but works perfect on USB Loader?

My question now then - is - SHOULD it work fine nowadays from a dvd (an unpatched iso), or will it never work because of that protection. So close it having this damn wii finished yet so far lol. Might be finished now but need to confirm if that is still an issue or not

Last edited:
hadn't spoke too soon.

It was NSMB that was dropping to dash each time.

Anyway, I uninstalled cioscorp, then reinstalled cioscorp....then I installed cios rev19 under 38 as you suggested....and I can now still install with wadmanager yayyyy

But...NSMB still will not work directly from the system menu. It plays fine from USB Loader (with no crashes)....and getting tested by my son now when launching from disc in Neogamma

I've tested a few other games out though on the disc menu, all other games I've tried are no problem (Punch Out, Indiana Jones and a few more recent-ish ones) from the system menu, even NTSC discs.

Is the issue still not fixed with NSMB loading from the system menu, as it was a few months ago now so thought might have been fixed, or does it still need disc patching/usbloading? Are there any other games now that have the same effect?

update....still crashes with Neogamma.....

.....sooooo am on rev19, region free and other games work fine, NSMB goes straight back to system menu from the main game channel, and get the 5minute crash when in neogamma, but works perfect on USB Loader?

My question now then - is - SHOULD it work fine nowadays from a dvd (an unpatched iso), or will it never work because of that protection. So close it having this damn wii finished yet so far lol. Might be finished now but need to confirm if that is still an issue or not

Ive only ever menaged to get nsmb running on usb drive.

I have a patched nsmb launching from disc in Neogamma i can up load it if you want

aha thats it then.

No need to upload thanks....but so long as I know theres nothing wrong with the wii with any cios that was still messed up....ie that unpatched isos are STILL not able to be played directly then my job is done yay lol. Thought there may have been a workaround for it now.

Happy days :)

I have a patched nsmb launching from disc in Neogamma i can up load it if you want

Hello m8,

I thought i had cracked this one, i have downloaded a few games now and burnt to disc with img burner, when i put the disc in the wii and try to open it, it says no DVD, tried with the normall disc channel and in neo gamma 7. any ideas or if you get time can you upload your working one please.

Cheers

Tomo

Hello m8,

I thought i had cracked this one, i have downloaded a few games now and burnt to disc with img burner, when i put the disc in the wii and try to open it, it says no DVD, tried with the normall disc channel and in neo gamma 7. any ideas or if you get time can you upload your working one please.

Cheers

Tomo

pm sent m8

Back