Motorized dish set up but cant find anything

make sure the motor bracket is in the middle of the pole ie havin an imaginary line in the middle of bracket and pole
as you start to tighten the nuts you will pull the bracket what ever side you tighten up,make sure you do it evenly
also make sure the dish is in center with motor arm ie same as bracket and pole

edit also get a sat beeper from argos about £15 then when you set it all up take the meter back to argos ;)

I like your thinking here ill be at Argos tomorrow :)

you need a signal on thor,that is the highest sat in the arc, motorised satellite tv installation guide using USALS by HISAT - YouTube watch this carefully, without a signal on thor you may aswell pish in the wind

Thats not correct mate if using usals ,once you enter your lat and long and have your motor settings correct then you can zero the motor and take it from there

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

i must of been lucky on 6 installs then

No your way works too,but that doesn't mean its the only way ;)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

You only need to set up on 1w if you are using diseqc, otherwise you can set up on any satellite.
You use 1w for diseqc because it is the highest satellite in the arc for most, but not all of the UK.
If a motor has been zero'd then sent to any sat, as long as the usals settings have been entered correctly first it will work.
Obviously first satellite is fine tuned by hand.
After that all should fall into place.

You only need to set up on 1w if you are using diseqc, otherwise you can set up on any satellite.
You use 1w for diseqc because it is the highest satellite in the arc for most, but not all of the UK.
If a motor has been zero'd then sent to any sat, as long as the usals settings have been entered correctly first it will work.
Obviously first satellite is fine tuned by hand.
After that all should fall into place.
well that the easiest way i found to set up a motorised dish

I only recommend 28.2e because its a very strong satellite for getting a lock on,
when I was installing mine I couldn't get a lock on any of the "due south" satellites (I'm at 6w)

but once I sent it to Astra and then tweaked it there it followed the arc pretty much spot on

I like your thinking here ill be at Argos tomorrow :)

dont pay £15 for one of those cheap things m8.... ive got one lying around that you can have for the price of the postage. to tell you the truth i found those sat beepers bloody useless when i first started fitting dishes for a hobby and used to set the system up and then did a scan on a sat and made small movements untill i picked up say hotbird and then ajusted to thor from there. its very time consuming and requires alot of patience but it worked for me.. now i have 6 professional meters lying around my place(sad i know LOL) regards mdt

dont pay £15 for one of those cheap things m8.... ive got one lying around that you can have for the price of the postage. to tell you the truth i found those sat beepers bloody useless when i first started fitting dishes for a hobby and used to set the system up and then did a scan on a sat and made small movements untill i picked up say hotbird and then ajusted to thor from there. its very time consuming and requires alot of patience but it worked for me.. now i have 6 professional meters lying around my place(sad i know LOL) regards mdt

I did buy one in the end but it's going back tomorrow it really is a cheap pile of crap lol pm me the details and ill take one off you as ill be re-siting the dish once weather permits cheers :)

Update lol
Used the sat finder and it basically did work and I had Thor screaming at me (literally) I kept on turning the tuner back and readjusting until it was really really low and still very audible. I have my tv setup so I can watch and wiggle but even with the sat finder yelling from due South my signal just sits at 63 ? So i drive to 28e and get perfect picture and 98 signal so I started to wonder if the tuner in the box really was knackered and nipped to Maplins for a signal booster but that actually made my signal drop to 80 on 28e so by now I really am doing my confused face :-S
What is odd is when my dish is turning it just sits at 63 there is a slight bump as it passes 19.2 but I would think that whilst its turning it would fluctuate as it passes by the sats in the arc. The one thing I did notice was that the poles mounting plate is very flimsy and bounces even in light wind. I cant really check for level whilst the motor is mounted but i wonder if it has come out of level once the weight of the dish and motor are on it.

You really need to make sure the pole is plumb and throw away that fecking cheap sat finder,the one on the box is better,them fecking things beep at bloody stars,

If your getting 28.2e and all your settings are correct then it has to be a plumbing problem ;)

yep agree with wiz check your toilet and kitchen sink this can also affect signal LMFAO:proud:

Emailed the company and they are sending me another mount tomorrow, they had sent me the wrong one and when it had to weight of dish and motor on the bloody thing was flexing downwards obviously throwing everything out.
Well thats 3 days ill never get back lol but on the upside my calfs have had a belting workout up and down the ladders.

Emailed the company and they are sending me another mount tomorrow, they had sent me the wrong one and when it had to weight of dish and motor on the bloody thing was flexing downwards obviously throwing everything out.
Well thats 3 days ill never get back lol but on the upside my calfs have had a belting workout up and down the ladders.

you should have asked for a t+k bracket with a small length of pole... much more preferable to a L bracket. regards mdt

Update
Rushed in for a ACL reconstruction following a football injury six month ago. Was initially told medial ligament but after months of arguing the toss I heard it POP they finally did an mri on the knee revealing a full rupture of the ACL and the knee having little and nothing left of the remainder cartilage and meniscus.
Anyway lol
With all that now operated on and fixed I may get a chance to sort the bleeding dish out.
Updates as and when I blag an unwilling goon up the ladders.

T and K bracket this time rnd :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Use a length of scaffolding pole it has a much thicker wall than the poles you will get from the sat trade. I had a 1.0m dish on a 2" alloy pole and was forever having to realign it.

All sorted mate I have made good the escape of a good length of scaff from work and that coupled with an 18" T and K should hold it as solid as can be, the thing with the dark motor is that it has metal gears and it aint half a hefty lump so it's little surprise the other bracket was flexing.
I have taken my first unaided steps this weekend but I fear I am a far cry from dangling off ladders just yet, I do have a willing victim coming to visit in the week so I am hoping I coax him up the ladders to fix it :)

I shall update as and when and have decided to make a it a photo compiled job so any willing experts can offer their 2 penneth and anyone wishing to attempt future installs can see some of the difficulties we noobs face. :Laugh:

When aligning, use dishpointer select your location and 0 degrees, zoom in the map pick up the start of the projection line, place it as near as poss on the map as to where the dish is sited. Print it. You can then use buildings, landmarks, etc on the map to find true south. Set elevation angle on motor using your lattitude, then using USALS, input your lat/long then select Thor 0.8W then adjust az and elevation on dish mount to peak on Thor, don't mess with the elevation angle on the motor at this point, it should be pretty close from the scale on the mount. You should then find your dish will pick up all the birds you need. You can peak up particular birds by slightly adjusting motor elevation angle, then go back to Thor and peak back up using dish elevation angle and so on...........

Good luck, 1st time may take hours, maybe days of frustration. Once you've done it, it becomes fairly easy! Make sure your mounting pole is plumb before you start!

I'm afraid I must be old fashioned
As I do it the exact same way as bro
Were everything is straight and motor on
Zero. Use cheap nasty sat finder and find
Bbc world news on Thor.
Once found tighten and ur sorted.
Only thing u might need adjust if u find
Ur going past or low snr on some sats
Is in tuner config
Lat and long say west = 04.002
And you have low snr then reduce that
To 03.002 to swing dish further west.
As said same way for years without any issue.

Just bumping this thread with a pic

IMAG0242.jpg

Cheers everyone I have pics of the install which I will post later and I had some major problems when all the fooking mortar fell out whilst I was drilling the backets in and I had to re-point a small section of the house lol

Massive thanks to Wiz :) A true gent

Back