Motorized dish set up but cant find anything

gasman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Been faffing about with this all night but cant find a thing

Story so far

First thing I did was mount the dish and point it due South for this I simply used a compass on my phone but to be fair I know approximately where South is as my house faces it.
Dish set up as follows Latitude here is (53) so according to the table that gives me an elevation angle of 37 so i set that on the dish under latitude. Next is declination angle and mine is 7.6 so 35 minus that gives me 27.4 so I set that as the bracket angle. Next I point to 28.2 and the dish moves accordingly but i cant find any channels I have tried pointing at various combinations but still have nothing.

My dish is a 105 cm one and the motor a ***** dark motor but one thing I have noticed is when setting the declination angle the settings on either side are nowhere near the same.
Read digis guide a few times through and also the literature that came with the dish/motor and Ive clearly missed something just cant figure out what so if anyone can help me cast some light on it then that would be great.
Cheers

If your elevation is 37 then set your motors elevation to 37 not the latitude ;)

Sent from my X10i using Tapatalk

Thats what I set, under latitude i set 37 but ive just sat and thought about how level that pole actually is and been up there and its perfect side to side but I am fairly sure the actual mount is twisted so I will have to pack it out to bring in perfect level in a 360 degree direction. Ill burgle some spax fixings from work tomorrow and set to it with some packers.
Bugger

Thats what I set, under latitude i set 37 but ive just sat and thought about how level that pole actually is and been up there and its perfect side to side but I am fairly sure the actual mount is twisted so I will have to pack it out to bring in perfect level in a 360 degree direction. Ill burgle some spax fixings from work tomorrow and set to it with some packers.
Bugger

Read my post again slowly ;)

My motor has latitude written on it so would i set this to 53 ? And then the other to 37 that's possibly the only combination I haven't tried lol

My motor has latitude written on it so would i set this to 53 ? And then the other to 37 that's possibly the only combination I haven't tried lol

One side will be latitude the other elevation,doesnt matter which one you set but use the right number

As everyone else has pointed out forget about the elevation angle just find the side on the motor bracket that says Latitude and set the marker on 53, and then start your dish elevation off at about 27 and work up or down till you peak your signal

As long as the latitude is set to 53, the other side will automatically be 37.
As suggested set the dish elevation at approx 27, does not need to be accurate as will need adjusting.

Just to recap
Set my motor to 0 then pointed due south and tightened up. I already had the latitude set to 53 and the brackets angle to 27. Running open pli I inputted my lat/long in rotor settings and aimed for thor but can't find anything. I have not got a sat finder as the motor claims to have one but the led display does not work on it :(
I have tried tweaking the elevation but have no lock.

Sent from my HTC Runnymede using Tapatalk

Use dishpointer.com to get an idea where you should be facing.
When you send the dish to thor, you will manually have to turn the motor around the pole/bracket.
Then up/down with dish till you lock in.

Are you sure you set the latitude to 53 and not the elevation?

When pointing at due south drive the motor to 28.2e and then slowly move the whole dish and motor left or right till you get a picture on the tv,

You can then tweak the dish left/right/up and down to get a perfect signal

Just to recap
Set my motor to 0 then pointed due south and tightened up. I already had the latitude set to 53 and the brackets angle to 27. Running open pli I inputted my lat/long in rotor settings and aimed for thor but can't find anything. I have not got a sat finder as the motor claims to have one but the led display does not work on it :(
I have tried tweaking the elevation but have no lock.

if its the Supreme darkmotor with LED display they do work M8 but only when the dish is moving when it stops it goes off after a few seconds thats the idea of them, I would not rely on the display to tell you which sat your pointing at either until you get a rough alignment on 1 west.

Yea defo the latitude set to 53 the elevation is just roughly set to 27. Am starting to think it's a bad connection somewhere as I get nothing no matter what I do.. I'll be redoing all connections just in case I've missed something.
It is the dark motor I will post a pic later of my latitude settings just in case I've set it off the wrong marker. Cheers

Gasman m8
Are you sure the motor spindle offset angle is 35 degrees ~ most motors are 30 degrees.
Therefore your dish bracket angle would be 30-7.6 = 22.4 degrees and NOT 35-7.6.

Also as an afterthought, when trying Thor 1w, connect the LNB directly to your receiver and move the dish around to find a signal.
(or if you have double or quad LNB run another cable) This will check if there is a fault on the motor or F conns.

Last edited:
Plugged into my existing sly dish and did a scan and got all the FTA channels loaded then swung the motorized dish to 28.2e and used dishpointer to aid my aim and it took a while but I eventually hit the sat and can get all FTA on 28.2. However this is the only sat I can find. My motors inclination is 35 degrees it was in the setup booklet and my latitude is set correctly I think.
IMAG0215.jpg

So now I have it pulling down sly channels I know my hardware is ok just maybe my aim is a little off lol

Sorry mate I have to go out, but youa re missing a few steps in set up I think.
You need to have motor at zero, then once usals entered send motor to say 28.2e.
Then manually move the motor around the pole untill you get 28.2e, Moving dish up/down to fine tune.
Once done tighten all up.
Then other sats will fall into line.

Still slightly out with the mark it's misleading on the darkmotor as the arrow bends round looks like it is 51 and i have marked 53

IMAG0215.jpg

Sorry mate I have to go out, but youa re missing a few steps in set up I think.
You need to have motor at zero, then once usals entered send motor to say 28.2e.
Then manually move the motor around the pole untill you get 28.2e, Moving dish up/down to fine tune.
Once done tighten all up.
Then other sats will fall into line.

I did do that with the motor set it at 0 then sent it 28.2e and fiddled and got picture tightened up but I cant find any of the other sats, if it helps i am using the backup.img version of pli that fez upped as it contains all the sats and bouqets.
Maybe I need to get up there and fiddle some more but I am unsure as to how to gauge signal strength, i just went off the picture lol

Still slightly out with the mark it's misleading on the darkmotor as the arrow bends round looks like it is 51 and i have marked 53

View attachment 64095

Had noticed that and been up there and tweaked it again (did it by torch light last night lol) since then I have got to the sly FTA channels just struggling for alignment on the others. :(

As it is now

IMAG0216.jpg

Back