Jabbs LED Simm- Bin it

AtmelAce

Inactive User
Reaction score
It has come to my attention that there is a copy of my LED SIMM being sold by Jabbs. This is seriously damaging my reputation because it is so badly wrong.
I couldn't figure out for a while why so many people were having problems with "my LED SIMM"..... ( I've been supplying Jabbs with these for ages).
Eventually, I got a member on here to send me his led simm that he had got from JAbbs because he was having so many problems with it, and I sent him an advance replacement, saying it was mine anyway , so no worries.
When I got the simm, I suddenly realised what the problem was. What the member had bought off Jabbbs was not one of mine, but a very good attempt at a clone. So good, in fact, that probably only I could tell them apart....
Now I don't mind an honest bit of good competition and some re design and engineering, ( that always benefits consumers with better products and fresh ideas) but this takes the 4* piss.
I wouldn't have minded so much if the PCB had been re laid out from start, but no, what has been done is a true copy. The components have been taken off the board and both sides of the board have been laser scanned to produce an exact image of the tracks and component layouts. Then it has been manufactured somewhere by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.
The PCB has been made using 1.6mm material instead of the correct thickness which is 1.4mm. The reason being twofold:- 1.4 mm material is more expensive and two, it is very hard to source.
The bottom line is this. All of you that have bought these from Jabbs, ( or elsewhere), have had problems in fitting the led simm into the socket, having to force/jam it in place, often fearing damage will be done to the socket through use of excess force..
This is so bad it beggars belief. I was pulling my hair out for a long time tring to figure out how come so many people were having this problem when there had been none before. How can someone sell something like this and get away with it? I'm surprised no-one has busted their simm socket or knackered their contacts beyond use by using this oversize simm.
If you want to check to see if you have the genuine article, or a copy, here are a few checks to identify the copy.
1. The tiny push button for IRD has a red centre, mine are black.
2. There is writing on the top of the bar graph LED's that identifies the manufacturer.Mine has the writing underneath so you can't see it with the led simm plugged in.
3. The two diodes are black plastic, mine are blue glass ( very rare)
4. The component side of the PCB is covered in a shiny green solder resist ( same as on the back), mine is matt finish as I only have the shiny resist on the back.
5. The pcb is 1.6mm thick, mine is 1.4mm.
You can't check the last item unless you have a digital vernier, but the others are easy to see. Attached are a couple of pictures to illustrate the above.

What to do? If it was me , I'd ask for a refund , citing sale of goods act, not fit for purpose because they are not manufactured according to international standards for SIMM products and could cause damage when used.
If you think I'm out of order here, so be it. But it's you that has been conned, not me. It's your box that could have been buggered beyond repair, not mine. But it is my good standing and reputation that has suffered over this with members ( naturally) thinking it's me that selling duff led simms.
I've worked long and hard to build up an enviable reputation over the last two years, for not only supplying good products and good dependable service, but also providing forum support for all those using my stuff.
Compare that to what has happend to TMC ( who used to be 100%) and now Jabbs, and you can see why I don't want my reputation tarnished in any way.

Thanks to all of you that have bought and used my products and have a happy Xmas watching all those nice TV channels.

hiya mate .. yes i got 1 from jabs place and the board was a bit thick to go in which i thought was strange but never questioned it as it worked with a good push , i will contact them after the new year , do you still sell you product to jabs ! as i will want an exvhange .

cheers for the good post ..

billy

Cheers for the post mate

That would explain why so many people are having problems and how Jabbs have so many in stock while no one else does........ pity i'm still waiting for mine :(

It has come to my attention that there is a copy of my LED SIMM being sold by Jabbs. This is seriously damaging my reputation because it is so badly wrong.

Just checked my simm and it looks like a genuine. I cant remember where I bought it from to be honest but I support AtmelAce 100% he has been providing members with good quality products for ages.

@TShirtJohn - You should of ordered yours from AtmelAce you would of got it by now :nopity:

Last edited:
Just checked my simm and it looks like a genuine. I cant remember where I bought it from to be honest but I suppoer AtmelAce 100% he has been providing members with good quality products for ages.

@TShirtJohn - You should of ordered yours from AtmelAce you would of got it by now :nopity:

Didn't realise that i could order straight from him :grayno:

If you know of other companies selling LED SIMMs BEWARE They will probably be the same as the Jabbs one.If you do know of other companies, let please post here and I will get in touch with them :)
I don't sell on to any other companies/traders.

I couldn't figure out for a while why so many people were having problems with "my LED SIMM"..... ( I've been supplying Jabbs with these for ages).
Eventually, I got a member on here to send me his led simm that he had got from JAbbs because he was having so many problems with it, and I sent him an advance replacement, saying it was mine anyway , so no worries.
When I got the simm, I suddenly realised what the problem was. What the member had bought off Jabbbs was not one of mine, but a very good attempt at a clone. So good, in fact, that probably only I could tell them apart....
Now I don't mind an honest bit of good competition and some re design and engineering, ( that always benefits consumers with better products and fresh ideas) but this takes the 4* piss.
I wouldn't have minded so much if the PCB had been re laid out from start, but no, what has been done is a true copy. The components have been taken off the board and both sides of the board have been laser scanned to produce an exact image of the tracks and component layouts. Then it has been manufactured somewhere by someone who doesn't know what they are doing.
The PCB has been made using 1.6mm material instead of the correct thickness which is 1.4mm. The reason being twofold:- 1.4 mm material is more expensive and two, it is very hard to source.
The bottom line is this. All of you that have bought these from Jabbs, ( or elsewhere), have had problems in fitting the led simm into the socket, having to force/jam it in place, often fearing damage will be done to the socket through use of excess force..
This is so bad it beggars belief. I was pulling my hair out for a long time tring to figure out how come so many people were having this problem when there had been none before. How can someone sell something like this and get away with it? I'm surprised no-one has busted their simm socket or knackered their contacts beyond use by using this oversize simm.
If you want to check to see if you have the genuine article, or a copy, here are a few checks to identify the copy.
1. The tiny push button for IRD has a red centre, mine are black.
2. There is writing on the top of the bar graph LED's that identifies the manufacturer.Mine has the writing underneath so you can't see it with the led simm plugged in.
3. The two diodes are black plastic, mine are blue glass ( very rare)
4. The component side of the PCB is covered in a shiny green solder resist ( same as on the back), mine is matt finish as I only have the shiny resist on the back.
5. The pcb is 1.6mm thick, mine is 1.4mm.
You can't check the last item unless you have a digital vernier, but the others are easy to see. Attached are a couple of pictures to illustrate the above.

What to do? If it was me , I'd ask for a refund , citing sale of goods act, not fit for purpose because they are not manufactured according to international standards for SIMM products and could cause damage when used.
If you think I'm out of order here, so be it. But it's you that has been conned, not me. It's your box that could have been buggered beyond repair, not mine. But it is my good standing and reputation that has suffered over this with members ( naturally) thinking it's me that selling duff led simms.
I've worked long and hard to build up an enviable reputation over the last two years, for not only supplying good products and good dependable service, but also providing forum support for all those using my stuff.
Compare that to what has happend to TMC ( who used to be 100%) and now Jabbs, and you can see why I don't want my reputation tarnished in any way.

Thanks to all of you that have bought and used my products and have a happy Xmas watching all those nice TV channels.

You shoulda put your name on it the you did with the soldering one?

i think people who bought theres a while back like bally myself and others were the lucky ones who actually got one thats 1.4mm, the ones being supplied now must be a prob as a little while ago we had this same prob with i think it was superlfc. so the obvious solution is to buy from the only reliable source which is atmelace. Thanx mate for the info i will pass this on.

The idea of a clone would be to keep the name or any other identification so as to avoid detection/recognition.

I Stand for Atmelace,i bought one direct from him,and have never had a problem with it.I even have the old solder type which i bought from him also.
As for jabbs i here so many stories of people waiting for there goods.each time i have orderd of Atmelace,as soon as my payment was made goods were sent straight away.
Top guy,Top products,kep it up mate:Cheers: :drink:

i brought one from jabbs place works so far only got it to do "1 4001" it was a bit tight ...lol but it did the job. i done think there is much diff in them unless you are doing plenty off boxes then .... i guess u can afford to buy a new one off atmelace . but i done see where the problem is if u buy one off jabbs place u know that u did not get it off atmelace .the same as if u buy a jtag off tmc ,u did not get it off jabbs so what is the problem . are u are anyone else not makeing enought money it is like fun/atmega cards they jump up in price because the people that sell them ,so that people need them and what they need them for. who came up with the idea to get the boxkey numbers that way ?.is he makeing money ?. are what about sk that did the bod script is he makeing money "NO" BUT I KNOW OFF THREE TRADERS THAT ARE MAKEING A LOT OFF MONEY OFF HIS WORK . so it is life it u are worried put your name on it and tell people . if it does not have your name it is nothing to do with u .

michael1

i brought one from jabbs place works so far only got it to do "1 4001" it was a bit tight ...lol but it did the job. i done think there is much diff in them unless you are doing plenty off boxes then .... i guess u can afford to buy a new one off atmelace . but i done see where the problem is if u buy one off jabbs place u know that u did not get it off atmelace .the same as if u buy a jtag off tmc ,u did not get it off jabbs so what is the problem . are u are anyone else not makeing enought money it is like fun/atmega cards they jump up in price because the people that sell them ,so that people need them and what they need them for. who came up with the idea to get the boxkey numbers that way ?.is he makeing money ?. are what about sk that did the bod script is he makeing money "NO" BUT I KNOW OFF THREE TRADERS THAT ARE MAKEING A LOT OFF MONEY OFF HIS WORK . so it is life it u are worried put your name on it and tell people . if it does not have your name it is nothing to do with u .

michael1

what its all about m8 is atmea ace sell quality stuff and jab is selling copy that r shite
and ppl think they r his so i would be pissed off wouldnt u??
atmel ace m8 ur stuff is quality
i bought ur original solder sim and i even got the info off u to convert it
again quality
not many ppl would do this they would normally say by the upgrade

so if u want quality buy off atmel ace and fook jabs

While I sympathise with AtmelAce regarding his good name etc I cant really say i'm suprised at this behaviour. There are a lot of unscrupulous people out there making a lot of money from this game and they will pretty much rip off anything they can to ensure this money continues to flow into their pockets.

Profit is a dirty word in this country. I have to scatch a living somehow.So I have to make a profit.And it's a nice profit. I'm not ashamed to admit it. What you get from me is a guarantee that what I make is as good as it can get at the time.You have to pay for that.
I also provide valuable support on all the forums to whoever is having a problem with an led simm, or JTAG, no matter who they bought it from. I provide this FREE and it takes up my private time.It's what I give back by way of thanks for providing bread on my table.
Tell me where you have seen Jabbs or TMC ( or any other trader) offering this ??
Please, put a value on that, if you can.
And as David H says, I could just sell people my latest product, but I don't.I offer help for free, to enable peeps to upgrade things themselves. I've made my money once, I don't need to make it twice.......

what its all about m8 is atmea ace sell quality stuff and jab is selling copy that r shite
and ppl think they r his so i would be pissed off wouldnt u??
atmel ace m8 ur stuff is quality
i bought ur original solder sim and i even got the info off u to convert it
again quality
not many ppl would do this they would normally say by the upgrade

so if u want quality buy off atmel ace and fook jabs

so what makes ppl think that they are atmelaces ? did he used to sell to jabbs are is jabbs telling ppl that atmelace made them . because i never asked who made mine plus is atmelace also chartman ? .yes i would be pissed off too but only if ppl did think that they where mine , but as i say does jabbs our any one else sell them and tell ppl that atmelace /chartman made them . as for jabbs hope u dont think that i like him but have no conplaims as i ordered a led sim got it with in a week also a logger ..which did not work through it was the chip sent him and email send me out a new chip ..still did not work ....lol just use fun logg=er .

michael

A dealer will never tell who his suppliers are, never. I have supplied Jabbs for a long time and so I assumed ( mistakenly) that any one who said they bought the P&P led simm from Jabbs had in fact bough a product that I had made.It wasn't until I sent someone an advance replacement, that I discovered what was going on.

Where do we go to buy a genuine PnP ledd Simm ? I'm worried I might break a box using a simm thats too wide.

Back