Are you stopping off work due to corona virus

Have they not kept you on with 80% pay Wiz?

Employers will need clarification as to if they need to pay employers NI on that 80% and also the pension fund on it. Basically if they do and they have 0 income then they have to let people go

Have they not kept you on with 80% pay Wiz?
No m8, I was put on 4 day week last week then got phonecall from boss yesterday morning to say the Hotel is closing as the last few bookings have cancelled so put on temp lay-off but God knows how long it will last, but I'm ok no mortgage or loans so I am a lot better off then some.

Sorry might add I'm in Ireland so different setup regarding lay offs from Covid19.

I've been working from home sine Tuesday, work were advising us to work from home as much as possible which was music to my ears as I have a 45 minute commute morning and evening between Telford and Birmingham on the trains which aren't usually very clean and only require one person to be ill before others catch it on the train.

Both kids have been home since Tuesday too but thankfully the other half is home to look after them as the doesn't currently have any work to do (self employed web designer). Got a computer in our bedroom whih i use somedays to work but if kids are playing up like they were yesterday i have another make shift desk space and monitor in my garage where i can disappear to.

I used to also have about an 30 minute walk to the train station to home in the evenings for brief exercise which i'm missing. I'm now starting the Couch to 5k again to get the exercise agaain.

Going in to work as normal,maintenance engineer at a aerospace heat treatment plant.

There is no one wanting taxis so I've parked up till this disaster is over with, being self employed I think I'm going to be
fecked if this goes longer than a month but the wellbeing of family and friends comes before money, if it comes to it I'll
just go on the game. :oops:

Isn’t that more risky than the cab lol

I survived my shopping trip, Newcastle M&S doesn't even have shelves for pasta and rice now, loads of milk though.

My son has just dropped some stuff off for me. He works for Jag Landrover and is being laid off Tuesday for a month with pay. Because there's no pubs open he has signed up to stock shelves at Lidl with his mum for a month. Fair play to him and that's my bog roll secured for a month, lol.

Send some to me ;)

Software Engineer working from home so no change from me tbh.

My son has just dropped some stuff off for me. He works for Jag Landrover and is being laid off Tuesday for a month with pay. Because there's no pubs open he has signed up to stock shelves at Lidl with his mum for a month. Fair play to him and that's my bog roll secured for a month, lol.

My mate works for JLR, but he's through Manpower and works in the body shop. I know he said that they've reduced shifts patterns a few weeks ago, but he's been told yesterday that him and several others are all out of a job after April 9th, with no option of being retained.

He's just applied for warehouse operative places.

I've been working from home since Tuesday, but I'm an IT Architect in Home Office/Government so most if not all of what I do doesn't rely on me being in the office. I'm also in the high risk category due to respiratory issues. Missus works in arranging care plans for elderly and my daughter works in a private school as a TA. The school isn't shutting, just reduced levels of attendance due to having to support key workers. Both have to carry on working, in fact my missus is doing longer days and weekends at the moment due to lack of staff (15 carers that work for her went off in a week). Even the company directors are now doing home calls!

Last edited:
My mate works for JLR, but he's through Manpower and works in the body shop. I know he said that they've reduced shifts patterns a few weeks ago, but he's been told yesterday that him and several others are all out of a job after April 9th, with no option of being retained.

He's just applied for warehouse operative places.
My lad had to do 5 years there under Manpower. Got an extra percentage of the wage each year until he completed the 5 and got his full-time job just over a year ago.
Never heard anything like it. Thought some years ago that once you worked for a company as agency for 12 months it proved there was a vacancy and they had to employ you. Obviously not the case but I heard something similar.

People doing exactly the same job with differing rates of pay should also be a no-no except on grounds of age. I bet your mate is gutted and rightly so. If things improve enough for him to be asked back I hope his time there as agency isn't reset to zero.

My lad had to do 5 years there under Manpower. Got an extra percentage of the wage each year until he completed the 5 and got his full-time job just over a year ago.
Never heard anything like it. Thought some years ago that once you worked for a company as agency for 12 months it proved there was a vacancy and they had to employ you. Obviously not the case but I heard something similar.

People doing exactly the same job with differing rates of pay should also be a no-no except on grounds of age. I bet your mate is gutted and rightly so. If things improve enough for him to be asked back I hope his time there as agency isn't reset to zero.

He's been there 4 years, people there for 4-5 months are being kept so it's even more gutting. He asked already if there was a possibility in 3-4 months for example in being asked to come back, he was told categorically no.

He's got a young'un (2 year old) and struggles as is. I help him out where I can, but there is only so much you can do. I tried to talk to him about it last night and what options he has; even said he should be talking to ManPower HR over what they are doing especially given the grants being provided to businesses and 80% of wages, but it appears they are not doing anything.

Perhaps he hasn't got a great attendance record Exos. I say great because as well as doing the 5 years I'm quite sure the attendance record needed to be practically 100%.
If his attendance record is good then he must be fuming. The stories my boy tells me about what some of them get away with makes my blood boil. He's a track worker fitting doors, sometimes to entice people back to work they have them on the track just dabbing some sort of special paint over a nut or bolt. Even the young ones stop after a while because "it's hurting my fingers", never mind, back home on full pay :mad:

Land their dream job and then abuse the fook out of it. My lad's at Solihull

Well i was thinking that nothing was going to be open today, went to town and it was busy enough with lots open. We had our costa as usual but got a take away and then went for a walk round the local dam later today. Check you temps this morning and all good.

I'm working Monday & Tuesday then 2 weeks enforced closure due to uk car manufacture stoppage. Maybe even longer as the car industry was suffering anyway.

Cyber security engineer working from home for the last 2 weeks and the foreseeable future so No difference for me.

My best mate lost his job as an account manager for a food company since all his clients(restaurants) are now close.

Cyber security engineer working from home for the last 2 weeks and the foreseeable future so No difference for me.

My best mate lost his job as an account manager for a food company since all his clients(restaurants) are now close.

In a similar situation to you friend, I m self employed offering services like compliance and payroll to teacher supply agencies, with schools closed I'm f****d

In a similar situation to you friend, I m self employed offering services like compliance and payroll to teacher supply agencies, with schools closed I'm f****d

Aha, compliance... Do you stop the kids giving the teachers bottles of whisky at Xmas? Could be seen as a bribe that :).

Back