Help Setting up OWL Engery Meter?

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok got my energy meter today and would like some help setting it up, I know its meant to be very basic but I dont really get it.

Taken images of the readings on my meter and think my rate is 14.43p per k/W s I have set that but dont really understand the readings lol can anyone help.

Currently using about £50 per week and trying to reduce it as much as possible. On PAYG meter with E.on.

I am going to upload readings from A to K hopefully they will all be readable

Right thats all the images uploaded. My owl monitor is currently showing
- - - - for cost it did have numbers on but just gone off in the last few minutes.

If someone can explain what each reading means that would be great too :)

Also connected it to the red cable from meter to consumer unit. Asssuming thats right.

Comes with instructions and its all working now but just trying to get my head around the whole meter rates etc

£50 per week are you running all the street i pay £14 a week for a 4 bed house.

£50 sounds well deer. i pay that for a month

Pay as you go meters are a bastard, higher rates than normal. I put £50 in on saturday I will be lucky if it lasts a full week without going on emergency credit.

Average consumption appears to be around 0.65kw during the day as soon as TV goes on just over 1kw

Unless you are paying off the debt accrued by not paying your Electric Bill and hence the reason why you are now on a Pay As You Go meter, you should not be paying anywhere close to £50 per week. That is seriously high regardless of how much electricity you use, unless you are running a laundrette from home, with several washers/dryers all running at the same time. Browse your suppliers website for the Pay As You Go rates and compare them with the ones which are set on your meter. If they differ you need to contact your supplier as soon as possible.

Regards

Liam

Unless you are paying off the debt accrued by not paying your Electric Bill and hence the reason why you are now on a Pay As You Go meter, you should not be paying anywhere close to £50 per week. That is seriously high regardless of how much electricity you use, unless you are running a laundrette from home, with several washers/dryers all running at the same time. Browse your suppliers website for the Pay As You Go rates and compare them with the ones which are set on your meter. If they differ you need to contact your supplier as soon as possible.

Regards

Liam

Not paying higher rate because of debt accrued. We went to pay as you go as they kept fooking the bill up and it was coming in at thousands all the time. We complained and said meter was at fault. They tested meter and stated no fault and if we want new meter we will have to fork out for one or we can go on payg.

We go on PAYG and paying £50 a week on 4 bedroom detached house, not running anything excessively. Where ever we can have energy saving bulbs we have philips 9 & 11w installed.

Let see what the owl monitor says this time next week

That is a lot mate !

From what I can make out, your paying a weekly charge of £5.43 as in screen G.

That seems a lot to me as well, mine used to be £1 p/w charge.

Still does not explain why ur using so much electric though ! I can not see any debt on the meter on the screens you have put up, can you cycle through them again and see if one has 'debt' written above the numbers on any of the screens. if so what is the amount ?

We go on PAYG and paying £50 a week on 4 bedroom detached house, not running anything excessively. Where ever we can have energy saving bulbs we have philips 9 & 11w installed.

Let see what the owl monitor says this time next week

Well, that's nearly as much as I pay Southern Electric (not PAYG), but I have air con / heated floors / indoor heated pool / home cinema etc etc and expect it...
Are you sure you're not powering the street lights or your neighbours house, if your house isn't running similar loads to mine, then your bill shouldn't be similar either..

Aftre installing the owl monitor, we are making £50 strectch to about a week and a half. Notice our boiler hot water and heating was set to constant for some reason so thats change to timer.

So far 14 days after installing our usage total Energy usage is 391.4 KWH and it says total cost is £56.48 bearing in mind its micro monitor and only calculates single day rate.

Found a bit of info on that meter to what each screen is if any help mate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Screens on a key meter are as follows:

-A: Value of credit in meter (value of emergency credit remaining if followed by solid E)
-B: Minimum value of credit you require to purchase to take your meter out of emergency credit and back into normal credit
-C: Date (only shown on 2 rate meters)
-D: Time (only shown on 2 rate meters)
-E: Total value of credit accepted (since meter installed or last reset)
-F: Total weekly fixed charge (standing charge and debt recovery rate (if applicable))
-G: Total number of units recorded (since meter installed)
-H: Number of units used at Domestic or Day rate (since meter installed or last reset)
-I: Pence per unit for units at Domestic or Day rate
-J: Number of units used at Night or Low rate (since meter installed or last reset, only shown on 2 rate meters)
-K: Pence per unit for units at Night or Low rate (only shown on 2 rate meters)
-R: E=£x.xx Emergency credit value
-S: Total debt value remaining set on meter
-T: Weekly debt recovery rate

Be aware, screens H & J may be reset when an engineer visits to reset your meter or a new key is issued or reprogrammed, although screen G should not get reset

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dont know if your meter needs it mate but some require key inserting to view extra screens like for debt ect...

Info off here: ACE9000 KBD - display... - MoneySavingExpert.com Forums

Back