Hadron Collider Impressive VR Pics

Looks like the imminent threat of destruction of our wee blue planet has abated FOR NOW :Clap:

Source BBC

Repairing the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) near Geneva will cost almost £14m ($21m) and "realistically" take until at least next summer to start back up.

An electrical failure shut the £3.6bn ($6.6bn) machine down in September.

The European Organization for Nuclear Research (Cern) thought it would only be out of action until November but the damage was worse than expected.

It is hoped repairs will be completed by May or early June with the machine restarted at the end of June or later.

Cern spokesman James Gillies said: "If we can do it sooner, all well and good. But I think we can do it realistically (in) early summer."

Fundamental questions

The LHC was built to smash protons together at huge speeds, recreating conditions moments after the Big Bang, and scientists hope it will shed light on fundamental questions in physics.

The fault occurred just nine days after it was turned on with Cern blaming the shutdown on the failure of a single, badly soldered electrical connection in one of its super-cooled magnet sections.

The collider operates at temperatures colder than outer space for maximum efficiency and experts needed to gradually warm the damaged section to assess it.

"Now the sector is warm so they are able to go in and physically look at each of the interconnections," Mr Gillies told Associated Press.

The cost of the work will fall within the Cern's existing budget.

Dr Lyn Evans, the Welsh-born project director has called the collider "a discovery machine, the most sophisticated scientific instrument of our time."

Enjoy yer Christmas :banana::Cheers::banana:
HH

OH Sh!t, they've fixed it.
Source: BBC
The Large Hadron Collider experiment has re-started after a 14-month hiatus while the machine was being repaired.

Engineers have made two stable proton beams circulate in opposite directions around the machine, which is in a tunnel beneath the French-Swiss border.

The team may try to increase the £6bn ($10bn) collider's energy to record-breaking levels this weekend.

The LHC is being used to smash together beams of protons in a bid to shed light on the nature of the Universe.

It is the world's largest machine and is housed in a 27km-long circular tunnel.

During the experiment, scientists will search for signs of the Higgs boson, a sub-atomic particle that is crucial to our current understanding of physics. Although it is predicted to exist, scientists have never found it.

Dozens of giant superconducting magnets that accelerate the particles at the speed of light have had to be replaced after faults developed just days after the collider was inaugurated last year.

Operated by the European Organization for Nuclear Research (Cern), the LHC will create similar conditions to those which were present moments after the Big Bang.

The BBC's Pallab Ghosh in Geneva says the restart of the collider was the moment the scientists had been waiting for.

It means they can once again go in search of the new discoveries they believe will roll back the frontiers of understanding our universe, says our correspondent.

"It's great to see beams circulating in the LHC again," said Cern's director-general Rolf Heuer.
Enjoy yer Saturday night, it could be yer last :banana::Cheers::banana:
HH.

I know yous guys are in jest but why do folk say this could destroy the world?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

I know yous guys are in jest but why do folk say this could destroy the world?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Jest? Wir Aw Doomed Gav, Doomed Ah tell ye!!

They're trying to recreate the conditions of the Big Bang, trying to find evidence of theoretical particles (Higgs Boson??) that have never been seen. Some skeptics think there's a chance they'll accidentally create a black hole or two & planet Earth will be swallowed by it. Or something like that.

Don't you worry about it mate.
HH.

Fs!! If only we had beat Aberdeen today!!

Black hole my arse, been down a few earth sized holes in my time.... It ain't aww that

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

They're trying to recreate the conditions of the Big Bang, trying to find evidence of theoretical particles (Higgs Boson??) that have never been seen.

does that then mean that even though, in theory, chanelle has a sweet little mott, but as its never actually been seen that it may not exist?

this is worse than the santa incident, i need a joint

does that then mean that even though, in theory, chanelle has a sweet little mott, but as its never actually been seen that it may not exist?

this is worse than the santa incident, i need a joint

Pretty lass but what a terrible website. I'm sure somebody's seen it, ergo it exists. In theory!!

Enjoy yer joint.
HH.

You're straying into Quantum theory there digi. That's pretty close to the Schrödinger's cat paradox.

You're straying into Quantum theory there digi. That's pretty close to the Schrödinger's cat paradox.

nah m8, cos the cats dead either way, you open the box and it dies, you leave the box closed and it starves to death, simples

I just watched 3 videos on this higgs theory, and I have to say I am fooked lol.

I dunno what the fook they was on about smashing particles at 99.99999999 of the speed of light lol into each other to recreate a billionth of a second after the big bang.

But it sounds good, if it can help them understand the universe then fair play to them crazy crack pots ;)

Mickie

I just watched 3 videos on this higgs theory, and I have to say I am fooked lol.

I dunno what the fook they was on about smashing particles at 99.99999999 of the speed of light lol into each other to recreate a billionth of a second after the big bang.

But it sounds good, if it can help them understand the universe then fair play to them crazy crack pots ;)

Mickie

Last edited by a moderator:

Mickie

effecting the website already lol effecting the website already lol

:Clap::Clap::Clap:

Mickie,

Admin removed "duplicate" post after my input lol

:Clap::Clap:

Mickie,

Admin removed "duplicate" post after my input lol

:Clap::Clap:

nah was me m8, just cos its admin dont mean they can get away with blatant post clocking lol :proud:

plus i merged both into one, so the 'echo' is still there and makes him look crazy lol

ill just go and ban myself for a while for editing admins posts :)

nah was me m8, just cos its admin dont mean they can get away with blatant post clocking lol :proud:

plus i merged both into one, so the 'echo' is still there and makes him look crazy lol

ill just go and ban myself for a while for editing admins posts :)

Brill... couple of days seem appropriate
Brill... couple of days seem appropriate

echo is contagious:banana::banana::banana::Cheers:

Wigan spinning out of control into a black hole!!!!! Liverpool on the edge of the event horizon and next!!!!!! :banana:

Oh great they've managed to smash the beams into each other. Think it's gonna take them a wee while to get the beams up to full speed so still some time to enjoy yerselves :banana: :proud: :banana:
HH.

Back