gretna

tonks1982

DW Regular
Reaction score
how does every 1 think theyll do in there first season in the spl?

i think theyll be 6-8th place

any motherwell fans know if the shared season ticket schemes a done deal?

11 or 12th

Their season ticket scheme is a joke, its basically asking for fans because thry have hardly any.

Inverness take 200 to away games and Gretna will probably take 300-500 to fir park, it has the potential to be the worst fixture in the history of the SPL.

Most of there players were released from SPL and Div1 clubs because they wern't good enough, now they have got older i can hardly see them being any better than they were.

Relegation or a big Dog fight to the end of the season for gretna.

Inverness take 200 to away games and Gretna will probably take 300-500 to fir park, it has the potential to be the worst fixture in the history of the SPL.

Absolutely spot on. And that's at best? Imagine an Inverness v Gretna nothing game mid-week, lets say a cold, wet Wednesday in December at Fir Park. There will be more people on the benches than in the stands?

Gretna will bring absolutely nothing to the SPL. It's a fairy tale for them and no one else, as no-one else will benefit from them being there, and it's a fairy tale that will hopefully be brought to an abrupt end?

I think Gretna will fight a relegation battle from day one.

just shows how poor scottish football is when a team from nowhere can get in 2 the top flight in 3 seasons...if only more owners/directors would put their cash in 2 clubs like Brooks Mileson did with gretna ,maybe our league would b a bit more competitive....they deserve 2 b in the spl only because they showed ambition..unlike the rest who r happy with the gate receipts from the big 2...if inverness can hold their own,a team that started with older players who couldnt get a game 4 other teams,y cant gretna?

Last edited:
good luck to them.
being east fife fan its good too see smaller club getting support financially to help suceed.
I think they will struggle but wish them all the very best

Like i've always said from 2 seasons ago, Gretna to be crowned SPL Champions for season 2007/08. Mark my words. I dont care much for scottish football but they have acheived their dream and they deserve to be where they are regardless. They have played each game and got there.

Like i've always said from 2 seasons ago, Gretna to be crowned SPL Champions for season 2007/08. Mark my words. I dont care much for scottish football but they have acheived their dream and they deserve to be where they are regardless. They have played each game and got there.

If that happens i'll get Rangers FC tattooed on my forehead
lmao

Hopefully they'll at least try & play football, not stick everyone behind the ball or just kick the opposition up in the air.

At the start of last season I would've been happy if you'd said it was the Pars going down but Stephen Kenny changed things around & had them playing well.

Gretna have got where they are fairly & deserve their chance. Can't see it lasting though.

would rather have seen st johnstone come up, also would prefer to see the likes of a thistle or morton in the top flight morton would take around 2k to the likes of celtic and rangers and 1.5k to most other SPL grounds with an avg home gate of around 6k would be a better addition (and not far for me to travel to an away game! :)

It will be a long hard season for Gretna they will need to get as many points from first round of fixtures then try and hold on, a bit like St Mirren done last season, The good start saved them when Dumferline improved
My prediction is St Mirren for the drop as promoted teams usually do well first half of season

I'd like to see this idea of a 16-team SPL given a chance. Scrap the split, it's a terrible idea. Dundee, St J, etc have been good SPL sides & I don't think expanding it would make the football worse.

would rather have seen st johnstone come up, also would prefer to see the likes of a thistle or morton in the top flight morton would take around 2k to the likes of celtic and rangers and 1.5k to most other SPL grounds with an avg home gate of around 6k would be a better addition (and not far for me to travel to an away game! :)

No chance of taking 2k to the old firm m8.

Those ***** only give us 800 seats, and at parkhead around 30 are broken.

Would like to see morton, st johnstone and partic in the spl rather than gretna motherwell and St mirren.

If St johnstone had went up this year and say Dundee next season, That would generate at least 9 local derbys (Including Dundee Utd) before the split with attendances of around 6000 to 11000 for each of those games.

That would be a much healthier SPL me thinks? :)

I'd like to see this idea of a 16-team SPL given a chance. Scrap the split, it's a terrible idea. Dundee, St J, etc have been good SPL sides & I don't think expanding it would make the football worse.

i agree
but id like to see 20 teams in the spl

No chance of taking 2k to the old firm m8.

Those ***** only give us 800 seats, and at parkhead around 30 are broken.

Would like to see morton, st johnstone and partic in the spl rather than gretna motherwell and St mirren.

You just want Motherwell to go down cause you cant beat us haha

it would be good if the shard ticket did get brought in but how would this work for people who have already bought their tickets for next season like me (i got my ticket the day after the renewal form came throo haha) football everyweek would be good but what about when we play them with gretna as the home team

would the motherwell players go into the away dressing room and then into the away dugout?

would the motherwell fans have to go into the away stand?

who would get the gate recipts?

st johnstone have had a turn in the spl (we sent them packing last time) everyone deserves a shot although i dont see morton or any1 aprt from st johnstone getting promoted to the spl anytime soon

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

P.S. What the hell is this gordon smith on about "At christmas the 4 bottom teams break away and create a mini league" how would that work fcukin eejit that would mean whats left of the spl would be reduced to 8 teams!?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
i agree
but id like to see 20 teams in the spl

Aye, that'd do the job, I guess 16 would be a short season or need another daft idea like the split. Would it really matter if the lower teams were slightly smaller clubs?

P.S. What the hell is this gordon smith on about "At christmas the 4 bottom teams break away and create a mini league" how would that work fcukin eejit that would mean whats left of the spl would be reduced to 8 teams!?!?

Where's that from? How the feck would 4 teams keep fans entertained from Christmas onwards? Is he talking about merging in the top teams from Div 1 or something, cos 4 teams is unworkable.

that is completely daft what a tit anyone can surely see it wont work why cant we set up or leagues the way england have theirs (oh how i hate sayin they are right!) bring all the junior clubs into contention instead of all these different leagues all over the place and voting into leagues we are stuck in the past!!! and then the 3rd division would be slightly interesting if there was a chance of relegation from it and for this idea of putting the rangers and celtic youngsters into the 3rd away go n sh*** in a bucket lawwell that would be totally unfair on all the other teams in scotland.

as for Motherwell playing gretna at fir park with gretna as the home team we wont have long to wait its our 4th gaem of the season and if the rumours are true it looks as it the 'Well fans will have to pay to get into the away end at our own stadium bollocks we will just takeover the "home" section!!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back