Gordon Brown 'stepping down as Labour leader'

TBH, I don't think this double dealing does the LibDems any favours, and only backs up the thoughts their critics had of them. They had/have(?) a chance to finally get an equal foothold in UK politics, but instead their old cronies stamp their feet and makes them look silly again. I'd so hoped, (thought) these days were behind the LibDems and they were now a different party to the other two and a viable option... Amazing what desperation does to people I guess.

hopefully nick clegg's behaviour will send their party back where they belong... in the wilderness

sad but now this country has an un elected prime minister who wants to jump ship and a government that no one wants

it couldnt get much worse

hopefully nick clegg's behaviour will send their party back where they belong... in the wilderness

sad but now this country has an un elected prime minister who wants to jump ship and a government that no one wants

it couldnt get much worse
this country has had more than 1 unelected prime minister
try 3

sorry i was wrong there is actually 13

2007 Gordon Brown Labour
1990 John Major Conservative
1976 James Callaghan Labour
1963 Sir Alec Douglas-Home Conservative
1957 Harold Macmillan Conservative
1955 Sir Anthony Eden Conservative
1940 Winston Churchill Conservative
1937 Neville Chamberlain Conservative
1923 Stanley Baldwin Conservative
1916 David Lloyd George Liberal
1908 Herbert H. Asquith Liberal
1905 Henry Campbell-Bannerman Liberal
1902 Arthur Balfour Conservative

He was elected, by his constituancy and by the labour party. Its been said before but I'll say it again anyway. We don't vote for a prime minister/president in this country, we vote for our local mp.

thebigman

To be honsent I have lost all faith in all of them. If I was to commit benefit fraud everyone would think I was a crook; but all these polititions do it and get away with it thats not justice.

The way they are behaving now I would not trust them to babysit my children let alone run the country. The only loser in this will be Nick Clegg whoever he goes with they will blame his party for their failings so bye bye Libs Dems.

In reply to a couple of points here:

Birmingham and Coventry do have high unemployment - but this is mainly due to the industrial heart being ripped out of these places by successive tory and labour governments who seem to think that we only need a service industry these days.

Scotland and Wales were both good enough when they were providing our coal and steel and shipbuilding, not to mention oil - if government had considered future needs and imposed tariffs on imports we wouldnt now be importing millions of tons of coal from Russia - steel from India etc... Perhaps they thought they really could retrain everyone to work in a call centre - oops sorry we just outsourced those jobs to India too???

Heres a thought - We have world class auto designers here and we even have european and Japanese companies having us make the cars here. We also have massive public infrastructure that use cars - vans - lorries etc. but our police drive round in subabru imprezzas and BMW's etc. Could we not restart a nationalised car industry a - employ people doing manual labour and give young people apprenticeships and force all pubic services to use our vehicles and if they are good we might even be able to export them too??? No downside - people in work - more taxes for the public purse - a future for youngsters that dont want to be in the service sector !!!

Because i'm scottish i could rant for days about the last time a tory goverment seen the light of day - but i won't because i'll just end up offending someone or other. But i will say that Scotland is a proud nation and not the spongers as some english folk like to call us. If it wasn't for an english tory government (led by a woman) we would be far more properous nation than England could ever hope to be. We hear people windging about the proposed increase in NI contributions under a labour government, what about the tories who would want to end the NHS in preference to an insurance based system like they have in America, which would cost each individual a fortune and you would still have to pay NI because of your state pension (as Thatcher proposed when she was in office) - bear in mind a lot of tories held and still hold Thatcher and her policies in high regard. If the tories do get back in, when everything goes tits up - if you live north of Reading good luck to you because, like last time, it will be the southern counties over the rest of Britain and increased wealth to the already wealthy and hard times for the less well off. Gordon Brown didn't get us into this mess with the recession, the privitised banks did (privitised under a tory goverment) with bad investments in American banks. Labour under GB have worked wonders to get us through it so far, god only knows how the Tories will carry it on. Everyone who voted for them will live to regret it. I've ranted enough so i'll keep quiet (for now).

Glad some people see sense here.
I reckon the torries will not be in number 10.
Glegg will do a deal with Brown. Snp and the welsh will throw their hats in the ring also.
This country Does not need a tory Goverment to get us back on the level.
A good coalition is whats needed. David Millaband will be the next Labour PM in my view.

Certainly in Scotland we do not want the tories. Never never again. We are still getting over Thatcher.

So what will the SNP and Plied cymru, also lets not forget the Unionist Guys as they will all be needed, what do you think they want for supporting a LIb,Lab hook up?.

A whole heap of money all of which will come from the English tax payer, who never voted for any of them.
And how long do you think it will last
Lab another unelected PM
Lib he has shown how he can flip flop(can he be trusted)
SNP how long before they spit the dummy out?
Plied I happen to believe the Welsh deserve a better deal
The Unionist, with the way they would behave they would do for peace what Stephen Hawking has done for the pole vault.

It will be a disaster and play into the hands of the Conservatives

Well DWers always did enjoy a good moan. :)

Look on the bright side for a change. Politics is getting interesting for the first time in decades. Enjoy the moment! Watch the constitution at work! Watch the Tory press sh*tting itself!

...and enough of this 'unelected Prime Minister' guff. Firstly, the concept does not exist within the British Constitution; and secondly, read davidh's excellent post 47.

How many times have we listerned to rants about unelected members of the House of Lords.
labour has the majority there, they seem very good at this unelected stuff.
The very same people rant about the queen "Dump the monarchy", but are very quick to hide behind it and the constitution when it suits them.

How many times have we listerned to rants about unelected members of the House of Lords.

Lol, good red herring. :Clap:

Prime Ministers are elected to Parliament by their constituents and then elected as leaders of their party. Totally different situation. Nice try though.

Lol, good red herring. :Clap:

Prime Ministers are elected to Parliament by their constituents and then elected as leaders of their party. Totally different situation. Nice try though.

Are you sure GB was?, I do not recall GB being elected PM by his constituents, come to think of it he was never elected by anybody.
Nice try Nara

Birmingham and Coventry do have high unemployment - but this is mainly due to the industrial heart being ripped out of these places by successive tory and labour governments who seem to think that we only need a service industry these days.

only jobs in these areas is working in public sector

Are you sure GB was?, I do not recall GB being elected PM by his constituents, come to think of it he was never elected by anybody.
Nice try Nara

he was elected to parliament by his constituents.

read it again and try to keep up luv :)

Nice try Nara

:NoNo:

"Elected to parliament" Read the post again or try :specsavers:

he was elected to parliament by his constituents.

read it again and try to keep up luv :)

You read again let me help (Prime Ministers are elected to Parliament by their constituents)
MP's are elected not PM's
You can only be elected as PM by the people of this country in a general election, Brown used the back door

When people vote for a party they hope the leader of that party will become PM and in may cases people vote for that person rather than the party.

We can not have a government that decides to chop and change the leader willy nilly, hence changing who is PM as it suits them.
Tony Blair should have resigned giving 3 or 4 months notice to allow time for Labour to choose a new leader then call a general election.
That did not happen Brown was given the job

What next Tony Blair coming back, the whole thing is a joke.

Back