Good Food and Recipe Thread

As Requested Steak and Whiskey Sauce

Have you by any chance got the reciepe for Whisky Sauce? the one that goes with steaks. I love that stuff!

Ingredients
3 tbsp Black peppercorns, oarsely ground
4 x 175g fillet steaks
4 tsp Dijon mustard
sea salt
2 tbsp Olive oil
50g unsalted butter
50ml Irish whiskey
4 tsp beef stock
3 tbsp double cream
To serve:
Roast new potatoes
herb salad

Method
1. Place the ground peppercorns into a fine sieve, shake briefly to remove any excess pepper powder and spread the ground peppercorns in an even layer over a small plate.

2. Spread a little Dijon mustard over both sides of the steaks and coat with the peppercorns, pressing firmly to ensure that they adhere to the meat. Season with a sprinkling of salt and set aside.

3. Heat the olive oil and butter in a frying pan over a moderate heat and add the steaks. Cook for two minutes on each side for rare steaks, 3 minutes each side for medium steaks or about 6 minutes on each side for well done, taking care not to move the steaks around once they are in the pan, or the peppercorns will fall off.

4. Pour in the whiskey and set alight. Once the flames have subsided, remove the steaks from the pan and keep warm.

5. In a small saucepan, combine the beef-stock and cream and boil over a high heat for a couple of minutes. Pour any juices from the frying pan and the resting steaks into the mixture and stir well.

6. Place a steak on each plate and spoon over the sauce. Serve immediately with roast new potatoes and a mixed herb salad. Or Roasted vegetables.

Hope that helps you mate

Duck With Plum Sauce

Cook in oven or hob.

Serves: 4

Description:
Crisply roasted duck breasts are glazed with a sweet and spicy plum sauce

Shopping List
4 duck breasts ½ jar Sharwood's Plum Sauce 4 spring onions - shredded to garnish

Preparation Time: 5 minutes Cooking Time: 45 minutes

Preparation

Preheat an oven to fan 200°C / conventional 220°C / gas 7 Place on a rack over a roasting tin

Roast for 50 minutes or until the duck is cooked through Heat through the plum sauce Slice the duck diagonally across into thick pieces

Arrange the slices of duck on a platter Pour over the hot plum sauce then garnish with sliced spring onions and serve with rice and stir-fried or braised vegetables

Basic Curry Sauce

This is the basis for many of the restaurant-style curries. The recipe makes between 8 and 9 fl oz of Sauce which is enough for 2 main course curries or a main course and some side dishes. The recipe doesn't work as well if you try to make a smaller portion. It will double nicely if you're making a number of curries but you will need to extend the cooking time a bit. If you have some sauce left over it will keep in good condition in the freezer but only for a few weeks. Even small amounts are useful for making a quick one-portion curry, it goes a long way. Remember to wrap it up well or your ice-cream may take on a strange taste!.

Ingredients
3 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee (clarified butter)
1 medium onion - finely chopped
4 cloves garlic - peeled and sliced
1.5 inch piece root ginger - peeled and thinly sliced (it should look about the same volume as the garlic)
(optional) 2 mild fleshy green chillies - de-seeded and veined then chopped
half teaspoon turmeric powder
half teaspoon ground cumin seed
half teaspoon ground coriander seed
5 tablespoons plain passata (smooth, thick, sieved tomatoes) or 1 tablespoon concentrated tomato purée mixed with 4 tablespoons water

Method
Heat the oil in a heavy pan then add the chopped onion and stir for a few minutes with the heat on high.
Add the ginger, garlic and green chilli (if using). Stir for 30 seconds then put the heat down to very low.
Cook for 15 minutes stirring from time to time making sure nothing browns or burns.
Add the turmeric, cumin and coriander and cook, still very gently, for a further 5 minutes. Don't burn the spices or the sauce will taste horrid - sprinkle on a few drops of water if you're worried.
Take off the heat and cool a little. Put 4 fl oz cold water in a blender, add the contents of the pan and whizz until very smooth. Add the passata and stir.
Put the puréed mixture back into the pan and cook for 20 - 30 minutes (the longer the better) over very low heat stirring occasionally. You can add a little hot water if it starts to catch on the pan but the idea is to gently "fry" the sauce which will darken in colour to an orangy brown. The final texture should be something like good tomato ketchup. Warning - it WILL gloop occasionally and splatter over your cooker, it's the price you have to pay!

Do-Piaza

I always try the Do-Piaza when I go to a restaurant for the first time to see what their ordinary curries are like. "Do-Piaza", I understand, means "double onions" and that's what you get. Firstly puréed in the sauce then in largish pieces in the curry. Medium hot.
Ingredients

3 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee
1 large onion chopped into biggish pieces
2 chicken breasts, skinned and cut into 1 inch cubes
half a batch of Basic Curry Sauce
half teaspoon hot chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground dry-roasted cumin seed
1 teaspoon methi (dried fenugreek) leaves, washed in a sieve then left moist for at least 10 minutes. N.B. your kitchen will smell of fenugreek for days but you can't make a curry without getting a smelly kitchen, now can you?
half teaspoon garam masala (Indian mixed spice, bought or home made)

Method
Heat the oil in a big heavy frying pan
Add the pieces of onion and fry gently until translucent but not brown (well not too brown)
Remove the onion pieces from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside
Drain off the oil, put the pan back on the heat and fry the chicken pieces over moderate heat until they are sealed and have turned white
Put the curry sauce, chicken, chilli powder and the ground, roasted cumin into a heavy pot and cook for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time
10 minutes from the end add the fenugreek leaves, garam masala and the reserved onion pieces. By this time you should have a rich, thick sauce (it will darken during the cooking)
Simmer gently for the last 10 minutes

I always try the Do-Piaza when I go to a restaurant for the first time to see what their ordinary curries are like. "Do-Piaza", I understand, means "double onions" and that's what you get. Firstly puréed in the sauce then in largish pieces in the curry. Medium hot.
Ingredients

3 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee
1 large onion chopped into biggish pieces
2 chicken breasts, skinned and cut into 1 inch cubes
half a batch of Basic Curry Sauce
half teaspoon hot chilli powder
1 teaspoon ground dry-roasted cumin seed
1 teaspoon methi (dried fenugreek) leaves, washed in a sieve then left moist for at least 10 minutes. N.B. your kitchen will smell of fenugreek for days but you can't make a curry without getting a smelly kitchen, now can you?
half teaspoon garam masala (Indian mixed spice, bought or home made)

Method
Heat the oil in a big heavy frying pan
Add the pieces of onion and fry gently until translucent but not brown (well not too brown)
Remove the onion pieces from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside
Drain off the oil, put the pan back on the heat and fry the chicken pieces over moderate heat until they are sealed and have turned white
Put the curry sauce, chicken, chilli powder and the ground, roasted cumin into a heavy pot and cook for 30 minutes, stirring from time to time
10 minutes from the end add the fenugreek leaves, garam masala and the reserved onion pieces. By this time you should have a rich, thick sauce (it will darken during the cooking)
Simmer gently for the last 10 minutes

I love Do-Piaza but when i cant be bothered to make it myself i normally get one of those Loyd Grossman jars of the sauce , frying the diced lamb, then adding the jar of sauce, tastes excellent, but i know i am cheating a bit.

Which ones are the restaurant ones? Recepies usually tell you the servings, if you need more or less adjust to your needs. It would be different if this were cake recepies, with those you got to be precise. If you have cooked before you don't really need the time of cooking, you know when is cooked even if have never cooked it before.

This is a basic chicken casserole, but very tasty
Serves 4

Ingredients
3 tbsp olive oil
2 onions, sliced
8 skinless chicken thighs
1 tbsp plain flour, seasoned with a little salt and pepper
290ml/½ pint chicken stock
grated zest of 1 orange
juice of 2 oranges
150ml/¼pt sherry
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
300g/10oz button mushrooms, sliced
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
salt and pepper
boiled rice, to serve

Method
1. Heat 2 tbsp of the olive oil in a large heavy pan,
then add the onions and fry for about 10 minutes until lightly browned and soft.
Transfer to a plate.
2. Toss the chicken in the seasoned flour. Heat the remaining 1 tbsp of oil in the pan,
then add the chicken and fry until evenly browned. Add the chicken stock,
onions and their juices, orange juice and zest, sherry and Worcestershire sauce.
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes until the chicken is tender.
3. Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Taste and season with salt and black pepper if necessary.
Just before serving, sprinkle over the chopped parsley and serve with boiled rice.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/spanishchickencasser_10863.shtml

Need i say more? Get your own recipes.

there are millions of recipes online, i do use a lot of them and change them sometimes to my own taste, you can get a lot of good ideas from them.

that link is to a recioe called Spanish chicken .LOL

there are probbably 100s of different chicken casseroles out there, LOL

This is information for anyone who wants it.

Do you not get any info of the internet, i dont think so.

Last edited:
there are millions of recipes online, i do use a lot of them and change them sometimes to my own taste, you can get a lot of good ideas from them.

that link is to a recioe called Spanish chicken .LOL

there are probbably 100s of different chicken casseroles out there, LOL

This is information for anyone who wants it.

Do you not get any info of the internet, i dont think so.

Yeah I get recipes online all the time, but I don't take them and post them on a forum, acting like they're my own.

Yeah I get recipes online all the time, but I don't take them and post them on a forum, acting like they're my own.

where did i say they were my own, i have hundreds that i changed myself, books, videos, have all got good recipes thars where i start from, the internet is also a very good way to learn about cooking, i started this thread as i am interested in cooking and i am sure hundreds of others ars also interested in sharing info , so if you dont like why dont you Pizz off and annoy someone elses threads.

Your roast potatoes recipe:
http://bigspud.com/proast4.txt

Your kerry casserole:
http://www.freecookingrecipes.net/recipes/casseroles/k/kerry-casserole.html

Why not just link to them? I'm not trying to rain on your parade but it just seemed to me like you were taking credit for other people's work.

wrong again dickhead

roast potatoes, on tv daily cooks ( anthony worrall thomson ), only i added the couscous.
Kerry casserole i got from James Martins show UKTV Food.
so go and annoy someone else, Knob.

spelling as always lol

come on guys :(
I personaly like aftermath and the other guys recipes :) if the guys are trying the recipes out I cant really see a problem :)

Last edited:
Good call there Rat. Seems some people can never be happy. Aftermath has taken the time to post these recipies and the one person that requested something got it posted promptly. Sure these recipies are available elsewhere, but we are here on DW we are reading and enjoying. Keep it up please aftermath and sencore. Im pretty sure that most things are available in more than one place on the net including recipies lol.: spank ::lsabre:

Thanks Rat, i was just trying to offer something different to the forum as everyone eats, i am sure a lot of people like cooking or are looking for a nice dish to try, i thought i would like to offer recipes i have tried and liked and in most cases i change to suit myself, sure eveyone does, yes i get many recipes from the internet or books, and i know top shefs still use cookbooks, i even seen it for myself.

Just not sure what that guy wanted, after all i just wish to help people, and i still will do.

If anyone fancies a different dish or something to surprise a guest, just request something on this thread and i will do my best to help you out , even if it isnt my own recipe.

Back