golf mk5 low oil pressure light flashing, help!!!

jammoboss

Inactive User
Reaction score
I own a golf mk5 tdi and within the last 6 weeks i have had trouble starting the car on 2 occasions.

After dropping my son to nursery, I went to start the engine and it was just turning over again and again, i then had the red oil can light on (engine oil pressure low). I checked the oil level, which was okay. Then it started but when i let go of the clutch and rev counter went to idle reading, i heard the engine struggle then cut out, so again it wouldnt start for ages. I managed to start it again and continued to high rev it for a few seconds and it was fine, that was about 5 weeks ago.

I ignored the fault as i thought it was a one of electrical fault, which i probably shouldnt have, I have had no other problem with the car until yesterday, i stopped at the petrol station filled it up and again it woud not start, after turning it over again the battery was starting to die then the red oil pressure low light came on and flashed a few times, so i left it off for a while then it started but cut out when idling. Again after turning over a few times it started i gave a good few revs and it stayed on. It has never displayed the icon when driving on when trying to start it up on these two occasions.

I have noticed mind when idle in neutral the rev is at 750-800 and it judders, you feel the shake in the car but it doesnt cut out. Could all this be something to do with the oil pickup pipe being blocked, oil pump fault?

Any help would be appreciate...

i have 10w 40 oil in the car i was told it should be 5w 30?

got a few other problems

After taking it to a garage he opened the oil cap and the dip stick and saw oil spitting out when the engine was on with a smell of diesel, he reckons it could be the piston/piston rigns deteriarating? what else would cause this spitting and steam.

When idleing in neutral the rev counter is dropping to around 750 and you feel the shake and vibration and it feels like the engine is about to stall, the rev counter used to be 900 before i had the cam belt done.

When the engine is cold the car starts straight away but when i try and start the eninge after using the car, it takes about 5-10 secods to start. I went to vw, they lifted by back seat and could not hear a click coming from my fuel pump so i take it no fuel is being pushed to start the engine hence the delay in starting it? Is it a faulty pump or could it be something else?

many thanks

you may be loosing pressure through your head gasket hence the steam . are there any white creamy like deposits on the cars dipstick or on the oil filler cap.

i have 10w 40 oil in the car i was told it should be 5w 30?

The 5w & 10w are cold-start viscositys.Can't see it having any bearing on your problems.

got a few other problems

After taking it to a garage he opened the oil cap and the dip stick and saw oil spitting out when the engine was on with a smell of diesel, he reckons it could be the piston/piston rigns deteriarating? what else would cause this spitting and steam.

Oil spitting out could just be down to the camshaft flinging the oil out of the oil filler cap.The 'steam' you mentioned could be 'oil vapor mist' which is ok,only a small amount mind.If it's like a steam train then you have problems

When idleing in neutral the rev counter is dropping to around 750 and you feel the shake and vibration and it feels like the engine is about to stall, the rev counter used to be 900 before i had the cam belt done.
You say it idled at 900 BEFORE you had the cambelt done,now its at 750?How long ago was the cambelt done? If it's fairly recent then it could be that they've done the cambelt wrong,maybe a couple of teeth out,hence the rough running?

When the engine is cold the car starts straight away but when i try and start the eninge after using the car, it takes about 5-10 secods to start. I went to vw, they lifted by back seat and could not hear a click coming from my fuel pump so i take it no fuel is being pushed to start the engine hence the delay in starting it? Is it a faulty pump or could it be something else?
many thanks
Once the fuel is up to pressure the pump doesn't need to operate hence no 'clicking' Only cuts in when the pressure drops

you may be loosing pressure through your head gasket hence the steam . are there any white creamy like deposits on the cars dipstick or on the oil filler cap.

Not always a true indication of head gasket failure,you get the same effect if you do short journeys,i.e the engine doesn't get hot enough to burn off the condensation inside the engine.

Back