Hilti C4/36 ACS Charger issue

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
A friend dropped off a Hilti C4/36 ACS charger saying it wont charge. It powers up, green light,, fan kicks in, it starts to charge the battery (the light on battery starts to flash) then after about 10 seconds there's a relay type click and the fan stops and the battery light stops flashing so its not charging.

I replaced the relay with the closest one I could find same everything bar make but it's doing it again. So then its a bit of Googling and the only vid I got was a YouTube guy replacing the relay I've changed. I cut back and re-soldered the power cables back to the board as they looked a tab ropey. I'm no electronics expert I just replace what I can meter and see what's blown

Anyone played around with one of these ? or spotted a thread somewhere I might have missed ?

*SUSSED*
Battery, never thought to check down the slots its always the obvious you miss. There was alot of oxidation on two slot pins. I gave it a clean isopronol and sandpapered them 2 its back to charging and staying on but the relay was knackered and the battery is shagged which was probably was the root cause

when i use to have hilti gear it would do that when the battery was too hot to charge. it would stop charging the battery but the fan would stay on to cool down the battery before trying to recharge it again.

P.S your friend has expensive taste. Hilti are at least double the price of every other brand and being honest i dont think they are any better. Up until a few years ago the only thing that set hilti apart from the rest was the batteries were awesome. They were the only brand that you that have reps come on sites and do demos for us.

I had a hilti battery saw that i paid about €1600 that came with two batteries and a charger. I got a bare bones dewalt saw for €80 and the dewalt was better.

I'm not sure what he paid it's all old stuff but I phoned him and he said he another few batteries somewhere in his lockup. The battery did look the worse for wear. It said half full so when I got it running again the battery was fully charged within a few minutes which aint right so it's no doubt goosed.

He's a good guy and I've done quite a few over the years. As soon as I have an issue he's here sorting so

Back