Get Your Plasma Out For The Lads!

there is pics in the frames, just the flash didnt go off on the phone when taking the pic, not missing nothing, just a pic of me naked collecting my mr universe trophy ;)

ileft the speakers on so when using the pic in pic mode i have the PC sound coming from the telly while the actual tv sound comes from the surround system ;)

OK, Thought it was about time I posted some pics of my setup. Just been lazy getting round to finding cable for camera.

PIC1 - Normal setup for day to day viewing using Monitor Audio 8i's (using MA RSFX for rears).
PIC2 - with the leccy projector screen in place, still need to do something with the cables.
PIC3 - My monster of a subwoofer, an SVS PB12 Plus 500w mutha! Don't ask me how I managed to get it past the missus.
PIC4 - Tried my best to take a pic of projector image in dark using camera settings.

Hope you like it.

Cheers

what size is the TV m8 and the projector screen ?

like the look of that m8 also like the look of the bottle of wine down the side of the chair :roflmao:i remember seeing devilfishes and thot that was cool but could you tell me do you have to make sure its really dark when you use your projector i mean do you have blackout curtains ?

Dazmeister, that looks amzing, love all the wood.

The speekers look great, they blend in nicely rather than sticking out like a sore thumb.

And to top that off a massive projection screen and a bigger sub, lucky, lucky man lol

what size is the TV m8 and the projector screen ?

Hi Rat,

It's a 42" Panasonic plasma and a Owl Othello 100" screen. The projector itself is a Panasonic AE500 which is about 4-5 years old now I guess but doesn't get used that much, as the bulbs are expensive to replace (£300).

like the look of that m8 also like the look of the bottle of wine down the side of the chair :roflmao:i remember seeing devilfishes and thot that was cool but could you tell me do you have to make sure its really dark when you use your projector i mean do you have blackout curtains ?

Cheers,
I'm quite lucky in the way that the room doesn't get much light anyway which can be a pain generally, so no, don't really need blackout curtains here but have used them in the past. When I was looking to move I didn't tell the girlfriend that the lounge had to be home cinema friendly!! Can't have a L shaped living room, just wouldn't do - heheheh!

Dazmeister, that looks amzing, love all the wood.

The speekers look great, they blend in nicely rather than sticking out like a sore thumb.

And to top that off a massive projection screen and a bigger sub, lucky, lucky man lol
Thanks mate, that was the main objective to try and get most of the wood colours to match (including the blinds) as it's not always easy. Didn't want to end up with a mis match, hodge podge of different shades if i could help it. The last speakers I had were B&W which were rosewood. Lovely speakers but had to go. And the sub, well, what can i say...cracks are appearing already :Laugh:. It certainly kicks ass.

Dazmeister that setup looks awesome. I really dont know how you managed to get the sub past the missus. I'm sure your neighbours enjoy every film that you watch lol.

Check out http://www.hivizone.com/local-shop/projector.htm if you need a replacement bulb although I guess its time to upgrade PJ..I just upgraded my 6 year old Sony projector which cost around £5k new with a newer one and the newer projector is as close to a huge plasma as you can get. Prices also start at around £500 for an excellent 720p PJ. If you're in the market now is a great time to buy.

Dazmeister that setup looks awesome. I really dont know how you managed to get the sub past the missus. I'm sure your neighbours enjoy every film that you watch lol. If you're in the market now is a great time to buy.

Cheers,
Neighbors never seem to complain for some reason :eater: and there is no one next door the other way (empty house for now).
I wish I could buy a new PJ Munkey, but having to support the missus through her barrister training until next year so no more new toys for me at present. :sad: Having withdrawl symptoms, as I love the smell of new equipment (weird i know).
Wait until next year then by that time should be a few more blu ray/hd dvd players out too!

Been looking today and don't have a scooby doo, lol. Is This Any good ?

Supposed to be good for the money but not seen any reviews from people thats bought it yet, think they're still waiting for delivery. I think dab.com also do a better price but the model number is slightly different, not sure what the difference is?

PS50P96FHDX Review here...> Samsung Review

Maybe its the previous model, not sure i could be wrong.

Last edited:
Daz...that setup is awesome!!! Loving the woofer behind the couch! :)

Great advice from sideysid about 720p and 1080p, don't get hung up on wanting the best of the best of you're source is not going to match it.

@Femalelizzard, I had just got that and hadn't found any pics yet.

OK, Thought it was about time I posted some pics of my setup. Just been lazy getting round to finding cable for camera.

PIC1 - Normal setup for day to day viewing using Monitor Audio 8i's (using MA RSFX for rears).
PIC2 - with the leccy projector screen in place, still need to do something with the cables.
PIC3 - My monster of a subwoofer, an SVS PB12 Plus 500w mutha! Don't ask me how I managed to get it past the missus.
PIC4 - Tried my best to take a pic of projector image in dark using camera settings.

Hope you like it.

Cheers

Very Very Nice Daz,

re your cable problem, will this help

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DLPD6030O.html

Nice setup Daz i got a similar one. Luckily my living rooms very wide, 15foot so i'm running the panasonic 50 inch plasma, with panasonic SA HT545 surround sound, got to say its impressive, everyone whos been here and seen it agreed. For those of you who want a 50 inch, panasonic is definately above the rest for me!

Daz...that setup is awesome!!! Loving the woofer behind the couch! :)
/QUOTE]
Cheers Devilfish! It's a difficult thing to hide!
Little story...
It was replacing a REL Stadium i had for a few years which was smaller in comparison.
I had it delivered whilst other half was out and it came well packaged, and in addition had this cotton cover. Before i set it up, I slid this monster into position and kept it under wraps for a week or so hoping she wouldn't notice the fact my sub had grown in size!! hahahaha!
Not to mention the fact it changed colour too. :roflmao:

Awesome setup,....... I'm guessing that you've got no young kids though :))

Well, none that you know about. i remeber when our house used to look a bit like that........ now looks like a branch of the early learning centre!!

Put my lcd up on the wall, thought it was high enough....came home the other day and found sticky prints on the screen. A trip to Maplins was called for to pick up some screen cleaner!!

Enjoy it while you can.....................

At 50" I would definitely go plasma (I have both :eater:). Anything below 42" =LCD, above =plasma.

Plasmas are far more forgiving with crappy SD feeds, and at this size that matters. I've set up 1080p Sony bravia panels, and the PQ cannot touch my Fujitsu plasma. Don't listen to some of the regassing cr*p and the suchlike you hear.

1080p @ 50" and you would start to see the benefit over a 720p native res panel with HD material, but if you are mostly going to be using SD material (which all of us are at the mo) a 1080p panel has more scaling to do (more pixels to fill) so can look awful with some feeds. So don't get too hung up on buzz words.

At the end of the day however, budget is the key. How much you got to spend?

If money is no object then the Fujitsu P50XHA58EB will provide the best PQ anywhere hands down without an external scaler (i.e Lumagen)

@ More sensible prices:
Panasonic TH50PH10 (preferable)
Panasonic TH50PX70
Pioneer PDP-5080XD
Panasonic TH50PZ700 (1080p)

A good company is AV-Sales.co.uk, and you can get a good discount being an AV****** member, but the key is to go and demo whatever your decision.

I think the pioneer PDP508XD (not PDP5080XD) and the fujitsu P50XHA58EB are relatively the same in terms of performance and price (one being better in 1 one repsect and the other being better in another). But between these 2 you will have a stonking good set (so you should with the premium price tag!!), as long as you get it profesionally calibrated. The fujitsu is more forgiving straight out of the box but still needs calibration, however the Pioneer you will need to get it it calibrated as its utter crap straight outta the box.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the pioneer PDP508XD (not PDP5080XD) and the fujitsu P50XHA58EB are relatively the same in terms of performance and price (one being better in 1 one repsect and the other being better in another). But between these 2 you will have a stonking good set (so you should with the premium price tag!!), as long as you get it profesionally calibrated. The fujitsu is more forgiving straight out of the box but still needs calibration, however the Pioneer you will need to get it it calibrated as its utter crap straight outta the box.

From AV-Sales with the P50XHA58EB, as well as the AV****** discount, you get free ISF calibration, which is always nice :eater:

thats not a bad price with the calibration....just had a look at our employee offer its cheaper and comes with stand and bracket but it doesnt come with the calibration......

Looking at av sales i didnt realise the pioneer pdp508xd had dropped so much in price....although add calibration and stand / waranty and it will prob be roughly the same price.

btw do you know how much discount you get with the forum?

Last edited:
Back