fooking tesco's new id on alchohol

first i have heard of that rule, its a strange one, but maybe one that makes people think twice before buying booze infront of thier kids, in that respect its good, but the rule has too many flaws and isnt going to work properly.

This is very slightly off topic, but, I was amazed that parliment voted against raising the legal age of buying alcohol to 21, to me that would have helped a lot, theres far too many young folk who are maybe 14-15 but can pass easily as 18, but they wouldnt pass as being 21, that was a big mistake with parliment in my opinion, it was possibly voted negative just because of the stupid voting system in parliment, if one party says yes to one thing the others will say no just to spite them, i bet thats what it was, stupid bunch of people.

usa law is best, you dont only need to be 21 to buy booze, you also need to show id nomatter what age you are right up until you look about 40, thats a great law. (some states are more strict than others)

first off. its only in some, US states, you need to be 21 to buy beer or alcohol. same for ID's.

as the rule for alcohol? atm, is 18+. what makes you think upping it will help? its having little effect now. but well, kids are scum right? they need put in their place. no wonder kids get pi$$ed, look at the adults they have to look up to!

i feel the Tesco rule in dim. but there is little we can do, except, buy somewhere else. they can't force you to give ID. by the same token, you cant force them, to sell booze, to you either. mind you, if you have been stopped, as you leave, after you have paid. they would need to "prove" it was for an under age person. that can only be done in court.(as far as i am aware, only a cop, could take it from you) once you have paid, its yours period.

Yhea Tesco's seem to be a bunch of tw@ts whereever you are in this country,just go back down there mate and start pullin a few ring pulls in the booze aisle or knock a bottle of 20yr old malt from the shelf and say sorry but you cant pay for it cos your daughter aint 18.

Nice idea
But how about this 1
Shop with a kid in tescos
Get to till with booze and get refused
Open a can/bottle place on convayor belt
Now ask how much again if they still refuse then fine booze wasted
You havent done anything wrong you were willing to pay and not stealing it
If they are now OK with selling say i cant pay for that its against your policies
Dont see this policy lasting long

Nice idea
But how about this 1
Shop with a kid in tescos
Get to till with booze and get refused
Open a can/bottle place on convayor belt
Now ask how much again if they still refuse then fine booze wasted
You havent done anything wrong you were willing to pay and not stealing it
If they are now OK with selling say i cant pay for that its against your policies

God your posts are hard work to read :)

@ op fecking rediculous m8 i might go into tesco's with my 9 yo and make a scene ;)

Nice idea
Open a can/bottle place on convayor belt, now ask how much again if they still refuse then fine booze wasted. You havent done anything wrong you were willing to pay and not stealing it

Loving that idea.

To the OP, thats an absolutely stupid rule, no common sense whatsoever. I'd be fuming if they did that to me, especially as I'd only be with my 10 month old son! In my experience Asda is the only Supermarket with any sense. They have made a few mistakes when I've bought from them, but the managers are excellent and know exactly how to sort things out.

Whats the problem with over 18's buying alcohol for minors? I mean this from Tesco's angle, surely its the purchaser who would get into trouble in such a case? I'm sure Tescos problems have been with serving directly to minors.

i am a personal license holder to sell alcohol retail :)

it is more or less common sense

i have worked in a retail environment for several years selling alcohol so let me enlighten you

1. they will require ID if you look under 21, in most places it is 25 now, regardless of whether u look or are over 18, forms of ID are photo driving license, passport, Proof Age cards with hologram, things like birth certificate, forces ID card, police warrant card, generic ID cards should be refused otherwise they are breaking the law

2. they can refuse you alcohol if they believe you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol as it is the retailers responsibility concerning the purchaser's & public's welfare

3. They can refuse you service if they believe you are going to supply alcohol to a minor [under 25 in most places], i.e friend with you, or minor waiting outside, [massive problem nowadays]

4. They can refuse service if a parent buys alcohol whilst accompanied by their child who is under the think 21 / 25 policy, common sense but believe me most trading standards officers use this tactic to catch you out

5. they refuse you service if your in police uniform

6. End of the day they refuse you service cos they are not taking a chance on a fixed 100 fine and possbile gross misconduct concerning employer - and they will sack if you get caught as they are only allowed so many chances before the premises license is suspended

the person behind the counter must be over 18 years old when selling you alcohol or 16 years old whilst accompanied by an adult, every person who sells alcohol either has to be a personal license holder or has signed declarations and been given permission by the license holder to sell alcohol [ signatures], these are usually kept close by for trading standard officers

I hope this helps

my advise for parents who take their kids with them to buy alcohol is dont bring them into the shop with you, leave them in the car or make sure they can prove age otherwise your going to be ranting and shouting and making yourself look stupid, [we are talking teenagers here], not babies

Last edited:
it's stupid.

people go shopping with their kids, and u put a bottle of wine in for your evening meal but no - the mother superior "we know better" nanny state nazi's have to interfere with our lifes as it seems we can't make decisions for ourselfs anymore.

it's a joke.

"leave your kids in the car" - yes, i'l leave my 6, 4 and 1 year old in the car while i nip back in for that bottle of wine - and probably get reported by the trolley joey to social services.

my advise for parents who take their kids with them to buy alcohol is dont bring them into the shop with you, leave them in the car or make sure they can prove age otherwise your going to be ranting and shouting and making yourself look stupid, [we are talking teenagers here], not babies

Hmm if thats the case then why was i refused when i had my 5 year old and 15month old twins!!!, i cant leave them in the car!!!
tescos have gone way overboard with this - its a nanny... sorry i mean police state were now living in.
we do things as a family unit, shopping is one major part of it, we dont see enough of each other now and i defo wont let a bunch of youngsters dictate to us that we should leave the kids at home to buy anything that maybe illegal for them to consume is totally unacceptable.
we have been happy customers (and it seems much richer as well) now were shopping is asda. at least they dont move the goods around every other time we shop or tell us we cant by a drink.....

it is how they inteprete the law

remember this country is full of DUM f**ks who cant think for themselves

ill say three things

1 i agreed whole hartedly with the rant to start with, it does seem unreasonable and dreconian but.........

2 spoke with mrs who works at tesco (not on tills), she said that the training video that they all have to watch the Max fine for the check out operator, NOT the Store, is £5000 if they sell booze to an under 18 OR somebody who is buying it for somebody who is under 18. Before you rant too much, if you were a check out operator would you risk a five grand fine if you thought a dad with his 15 year old son/daughter was actually buying booze for them not himself.

3 how many of you (and me) complain about the "kids" under 18's getting blathered and causing big trouble around town in the evernings.....how do they get the alchol ? if the shops dont sell to under eighteens then somebody is buying it for them....brothers, mums, dads, friends etc

i am a personal license holder to sell alcohol retail :)

it is more or less common sense

i have worked in a retail environment for several years selling alcohol so let me enlighten you

1. they will require ID if you look under 21, in most places it is 25 now, regardless of whether u look or are over 18, forms of ID are photo driving license, passport, Proof Age cards with hologram, things like birth certificate, forces ID card, police warrant card, generic ID cards should be refused otherwise they are breaking the law

2. they can refuse you alcohol if they believe you are under the influence of drugs or alcohol as it is the retailers responsibility concerning the purchaser's & public's welfare

3. They can refuse you service if they believe you are going to supply alcohol to a minor [under 25 in most places], i.e friend with you, or minor waiting outside, [massive problem nowadays]

4. They can refuse service if a parent buys alcohol whilst accompanied by their child who is under the think 21 / 25 policy, common sense but believe me most trading standards officers use this tactic to catch you out

5. they refuse you service if your in police uniform

6. End of the day they refuse you service cos they are not taking a chance on a fixed 100 fine and possbile gross misconduct concerning employer - and they will sack if you get caught as they are only allowed so many chances before the premises license is suspended

the person behind the counter must be over 18 years old when selling you alcohol or 16 years old whilst accompanied by an adult, every person who sells alcohol either has to be a personal license holder or has signed declarations and been given permission by the license holder to sell alcohol [ signatures], these are usually kept close by for trading standard officers

I hope this helps

so its ok for a retailer to sell alcohol, at, 16. but the customer has to be 25? are there not some double standards there? its so the retailer can employ cheap staff, to sell their booze. would it not be better to make a rule that the retailer should be over the age that, customers, are required to be?

and lets face it. the law says 18 to buy alcahol. so whatever the retailers say, that's the law. yet you state you would refuse sale to an adult, with a child(?) even if that child(?) is 21-25? they must be on drugs!!! or, more likely, not up to the job! perhaps if we insisted the retailers should be of a "reasonable" standard, capable of doing their jobs. if that does not fit with their "business" model. perhaps they need to look at not selling alcohol.

local authorities / police / trading standards implement fixed AGE limits to be ID'd in troublesome areas and where retailers have been done for under age selling

think 21 / 25 policies are either recommended by police etc or enforced by local authorities

local authorities / police / trading standards implement fixed AGE limits to be ID'd in troublesome areas and where retailers have been done for under age selling

think 21 / 25 policies are either recommended by police etc or enforced by local authorities

the "legal" age to purchase alcohol, in the UK is 18. no council can change that. if the retailers are not up to the job, surely its them who should be sanctioned. thats the problem with British business atm. always looking for someone else to blame for their cheapskate, incompetence.

3 how many of you (and me) complain about the "kids" under 18's getting blathered and causing big trouble around town in the evernings.....how do they get the alchol ? if the shops dont sell to under eighteens then somebody is buying it for them....brothers, mums, dads, friends etc

i must admit, i didn't know it was the till operator that got fined, i thought the licencee or owner of the store.

even when i was a kid buy booze when we shouldn't (15-20 years ago), we'd NEVER buy our alcohol from the local supermarket as we'd always be resfused. it was always cornershop/off-licences as they were more willing to get that extra business. i can't see it being much different nowadays as you always see them outside your local convienice store - in my opinion it's not the supermarkets that are the main culprits.

the "legal" age to purchase alcohol, in the UK is 18. no council can change that...
True, but it is the local council that issue the licences with recommendations heard from the police and trading standards. As cynical as it sounds, if I were a landlord/off licence owner/supermarket manager I know I'd want to keep them all on side or you could find the licence not renewed (esp when it comes to the councils wanting to be seen as tackling antisocial behaviour).

i must admit, i didn't know it was the till operator that got fined, i thought the licencee or owner of the store...

It used to be just the licencee, now its both. Changed a few years ago (possibly with the 24 hour bar rules).

the "legal" age to purchase alcohol, in the UK is 18. no council can change that. if the retailers are not up to the job, surely its them who should be sanctioned. thats the problem with British business atm. always looking for someone else to blame for their cheapskate, incompetence.
this has nothing to do with the consumer

the local authorities force implentation of asking for ID from a higher age group

either you refuse and your license is suspended or they u what they tell you to do

I really dont understand the arguement

legal age is 18, requirements by local authority and police is a different matter, they can do you for not asking ID from an 18 year old and question your responsibility as a retailer thus removing license

are you a personal license holder, do you run retail outlets with premise licenses ?, if not STFU u ignorant moron

if your not happy then go elsewhere, simple when it comes to consumers & retail, if you dont like the service or product then F*ck off elsewhere, why complain !, this country is rapidly becoming america by the second

ill say three things

2 spoke with mrs who works at tesco (not on tills), she said that the training video that they all have to watch the Max fine for the check out operator, NOT the Store, is £5000 if they sell booze to an under 18 OR somebody who is buying it for somebody who is under 18. Before you rant too much, if you were a check out operator would you risk a five grand fine if you thought a dad with his 15 year old son/daughter was actually buying booze for them not himself.

That might be what tesco tell their staff m8 but it's not true.
The licensee is always liable for any fines, not the staff.

That might be what tesco tell their staff m8 but it's not true.
The licensee is always liable for any fines, not the staff.

The staff are not liable for the licencee's fine (although Hamba didn't say his wife wasn't a/the licencee for the store). For repeted offences the max fine goes upto £10000 or a 6 month sentence, or a combination thereof.

'Till staff' can still be can be slapped with an £80 on-the-spot fine (in England at least):
Underage Alcohol Sales Targeted
Derbyshire County Council - On-the-spot fines for underage alcohol sales
Under-age drinking sting catches staff - Portsmouth Today

There is no indication as to whether the fines in the above stories are under licencing laws or someother legislation (e.g. anti-social behaviour laws etc).

The staff are not liable for the licencee's fine (although Hamba didn't say his wife wasn't a/the licencee for the store). For repeted offences the max fine goes upto £10000 or a 6 month sentence, or a combination thereof.

'Till staff' can still be can be slapped with an £80 on-the-spot fine (in England at least):
Underage Alcohol Sales Targeted
Derbyshire County Council - On-the-spot fines for underage alcohol sales
Under-age drinking sting catches staff - Portsmouth Today

There is no indication as to whether the fines in the above stories are under licencing laws or someother legislation (e.g. anti-social behaviour laws etc).

This is the same fine that you would be given if you bought alcohol for a minor so it doesn't seem to be related to the "licence" as such.

Also the licensee for Tesco would be Tesco Stores Ltd.

But with a possible £80 on the spot fine you can understand staff being careful who they sell to.

the staff are liable

can we stop with these stupid ignorant comments

the premises licence holder [ dps] has to authorise every member of staff to sell alcohol if they do not hold licenses themselves

the staff if caught then get arrested and cautioned and given an on the spot fine if caught by police selling alcohol to underage or in other circumstances as specified in my earlier posts, 50 / 50 chance they will be sacked by employers as well

the premises license holder and representative of the company then has to go to the police station to be interviewed and screened about how they operate concerning their under-age policies etc

if applicable they can be possibly fined again

local authorities are then notified who then will carry out an investigation and remove licenses if needed as can a police sergeant or above

possible outcome is mandatory increase in AGE checks, ie instead of 18 or 21 it is now 25 or 30

it doesnt matter if your 18, the gap of 3 or 7 or 12 years above legal age is to ensure that the member of staff has no doubt when asking for ID, where as it can be argued purely accurately telling the age of an 18 yr old on the spot cos I have ID thousands of Kids and I found it easer using think 21, than 18 thus removing element of doubt so if it happens again then the law will come down harder on you

what I find it funny is people on here screaming and shouting when they get ID, imagine what it is like for the people behind the counter who deal with complete ignorant dicks every day screaming at them cos they are told to do this by their employers as they have possibly had their fingers burnt before

no win situation and this year a think 25 policy is being used by most retailers on alcohol and cigarettes as well as lighters

stupid thread and perhaps you should learn more about alcohol licensees before taking it out on the members of staff, this country is clouded in red tape and buying alcohol is no different, but u seem to think it is an excuse to get aggressive and threatening

the staff are liable
[snip]
All I said was that the staff member wouldn't have to pay the fine given to the licensee (I suppose the licensee could take them to court to get the money from the member of staff). Of course they'd have to pay their own fine, unfortunately I could only find instances of the on-the-spot fines I linked to at the time of writing.

I have, finally, found an easy to read statement with regards to this:
http://www.surreycc.gov.uk/sccwebsite/sccwspages.nsf/LookupWebPagesByTITLE_RTF/What+age+restrictions+are+there+on+productsQ?opendocument#Alcohol said:
... The person who makes the sale, the Designated Premises Supervisor, personal licence holders and the company operating the business may be held liable for this offence...

So anyone involved - till staff, duty manager, licensee and/or store owner - can be slapped with the £5000 fine in the home nations that the Licensing Act 2003 applies to.

[edit] That first bit still sounds argumentative, but I'm not sure how else it could be worded?

Last edited:
Back