Dreambox DM800 HD PVR >> ' /flash/vmlinux.gz'

alyamani

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a Dreambox DM800 HD PVR, it isn't booting, the LCD display ' /flash/vmlinux.gz'
I have tried flashing the machine using so many different images, using different browsers, dream-up, after several days, I am getting nowhere.
What should I do ? Can you help please?

Hi everyone,
I have a Dreambox DM800 HD PVR, it isn't booting, the LCD display ' /flash/vmlinux.gz'
I have tried flashing the machine using so many different images, using different browsers, dream-up, after several days, I am getting nowhere.
What should I do ? Can you help please?

Hi lets start with is your box a clone or genuine and what sim is it.? be sure what box and sim you have first as to attain correct bootloader and image for your sim.

Pull out power lead.Hold in the on/off button on the front of box,and reconnect power keep holding power button until displays says STOP release power button and IP should appear.copy into browser and flash as normal.
First flash bootloader then the image and then bootloader again,NO REBOOTS in between use page back

Last edited:
Hi lets start with is your box a clone or genuine and what sim is it.? be sure what box and sim you have first as to attain correct bootloader and image for your sim.

Pull out power lead.Hold in the on/off button on the front of box,and reconnect power keep holding power button until displays says STOP release power button and IP should appear.copy into browser and flash as normal.
First flash bootloader then the image and then bootloader again,NO REBOOTS in between use page back

Thanks AJT

I did everything you've said, but the receiver doesn't respond to any images or bootloaders. This could be the main problem, I have a feeling I am not picking the right image as I have tried over 25 image type, non was good enough to work.

I understand my box is cloned and it is a 2.1 SIM, I can't confirm this 100%, it is not written anywhere inside or outside the box, it is based on assumptions by a friend over the phone.

I will need to make it clear later as a friend will visit me and have a look at the box, he is not a technician by profession but he knows a thing or two about satellite receivers in general.

At least there will be a much more clearer picture.

cheers !

Thanks AJT

I did everything you've said, but the receiver doesn't respond to any images or bootloaders. This could be the main problem, I have a feeling I am not picking the right image as I have tried over 25 image type, non was good enough to work.

I understand my box is cloned and it is a 2.1 SIM, I can't confirm this 100%, it is not written anywhere inside or outside the box, it is based on assumptions by a friend over the phone.

I will need to make it clear later as a friend will visit me and have a look at the box, he is not a technician by profession but he knows a thing or two about satellite receivers in general.

cheers !
ways to find out...It should say sim 2.10 or sim 2 on display at boot up before it try,s to load image..,also do you know what image you had running before troubles,plus take the cover off and take a look inside at sim being very careful so if you can get an idea.

I have a DM800 sim 2.1 clone and have just flashed this image to it. openpli-2.1-beta-dm800-2013-03-31-sim2-dOOds - Downloads - DigitalWorldz Technology Forum - Satellite, television, consoles, community in the downloads section. I had an 84A bootloader and flashed this straight over the top without doing a seperate bootloader install and rebooted and it works fine.
When you start the box up in the window it will say what the botloader and sim is, watch carefully as it can go off fast before you have had the chance to look at it.

Thanks AJT

cheers !

Is there a gold sticker underneath saying sim2 ? If not take the lid off and describe the sim to us .

use for the box the openpli image of gjstroom of aug. it will work great first you have to set the right bootloader on the box ssl#84b don't forget that
otherwise you can flash whatever you wont it will not work

Is there a gold sticker underneath saying sim2 ? If not take the lid off and describe the sim to us .

It has no gold sticker, inside the box there is a white SIM with nothing written on it or around it.

Last edited:
I have a DM800 sim 2.1 clone and have just flashed this image to it. openpli-2.1-beta-dm800-2013-03-31-sim2-dOOds - Downloads - DigitalWorldz Technology Forum - Satellite, television, consoles, community in the downloads section. I had an 84A bootloader and flashed this straight over the top without doing a seperate bootloader install and rebooted and it works fine.
When you start the box up in the window it will say what the botloader and sim is, watch carefully as it can go off fast before you have had the chance to look at it.

Sorry coach, I have just noticed your post, I will give that image a go. I willing to try anything. Thanks for your response.

use for the box the openpli image of gjstroom of aug. it will work great first you have to set the right bootloader on the box ssl#84b don't forget that
otherwise you can flash whatever you wont it will not work

It sounds easy and I think I've seen that number somewhere amongst my downloads. Thanks, I will try that as well.

It sounds easy and I think I've seen that number somewhere amongst my downloads. Thanks, I will try that as well.

You need to establish what sim you have before anything else..

You need to establish what sim you have before anything else..

Everyone says it is a 2.1 SIM but like I said it is based on assumptions. I opened the box and I could not find anything that confirms this, all I found is a white SIM and nothing written on it or near it.

Everyone says it is a 2.1 SIM but like I said it is based on assumptions. I opened the box and I could not find anything that confirms this, all I found is a white SIM and nothing written on it or near it.

Sounds like sim1 from what your describing.

You say in your first post you have been flashing many images !

Did these cause any No Ca Error messages on front screen ?

You have said you got no where trying to flash these images so can you tell us what you mean by that ?

Sounds like sim1 from what your describing.

You say in your first post you have been flashing many images !

Did these cause any No Ca Error messages on front screen ?

You have said you got no where trying to flash these images so can you tell us what you mean by that ?

q1 - No errors, but if I boot the box without pressing the power button it displays '/flash/vmlinux.gz'

q2 - what I mean is that when I try to flash any .inf file from any browser nothing uploads and nothing happens in the browser or in the box even the harddrive in the laptop is silent (no activity whatsoever) for very long time including one whole night.

is that clear and making any sense ?

q1 - No errors, but if I boot the box without pressing the power button it displays '/flash/vmlinux.gz'

q2 - what I mean is that when I try to flash any .inf file from any browser nothing uploads and nothing happens in the browser or in the box even the harddrive in the laptop is silent (no activity whatsoever) for very long time including one whole night.

Well yeah but we are no closer to finding out the sim type, plain white to me suggests sim1

If you can not flash by browser youll need to flash via null modem cable and dreamup but you still going to be guessing on your sim type on whoe to listen to.

Your call mate.

Google "How to flash dreambox dm800hd using null modem cable.
Unless you find out what sim you have we can not help as nothing we can do..we have asked you many times.

Well yeah but we are no closer to finding out the sim type, plain white to me suggests sim1

If you can not flash by browser youll need to flash via null modem cable and dreamup but you still going to be guessing on your sim type on whoe to listen to.

Your call mate.

Getting a cable is the next step, as a mater of fact I did buy one this afternoon to discover when I reached home that it was a 13 pin serial when I need a 9 pin. I guess I'll spend the rest of the evening looking at it until tomorrow.

Getting a cable is the next step, as a mater of fact I did buy one this afternoon to discover when I reached home that it was a 13 pin serial when I need a 9 pin. I guess I'll spend the rest of the evening looking at it until tomorrow.

You are not having much luck mate.....

Yeah also needs to be null modem not a serial cable

Google "How to flash dreambox dm800hd using null modem cable.
Unless you find out what sim you have we can not help as nothing we can do..we have asked you many times.

Thanks AJT for your interest, I am overwhelmed, but like I said in my above post to Ferret I am going for a cable flash, but that well be tomorrow for technical reasons I mentioned above

Back