dish mounting

update. the dish is up on the roof now (was previously on my balcony) and i can get the dish to 91% when the quality gauge goes up, even when im not moving the dish, it will say, for instance 0% then flash to 70% then to 0% then up to 90% is this normal? going to get someone tomorrow to watch the tv while i move as climbing up and down is killing me lol. oh and apart from this chew, when i was putting the mount etc on the roof i dropped the paving slab and it hit me in the face, black eye on the way methinks lol

update. the dish is up on the roof now (was previously on my balcony) and i can get the dish to 91% when the quality gauge goes up, even when im not moving the dish, it will say, for instance 0% then flash to 70% then to 0% then up to 90% is this normal? going to get someone tomorrow to watch the tv while i move as climbing up and down is killing me lol. oh and apart from this chew, when i was putting the mount etc on the roof i dropped the paving slab and it hit me in the face, black eye on the way methinks lol

might be a bad connection.
worth re doing them anyway just to be sure.

should the bars stay constant like mate? if so il jump up now and check the connections :)

if youve got a clear line of sight to the satellite (ie no branches blowing in front or similar) and you're on the satellite then yeah your signal bars should be pretty constant

changed all the cables, used my ntl coax, still the same. decided to call it a night as its dark. if the quality level wud stay constant then at least id be able to see which way improves it lol. i can see why so many ppl get wound up with it lol

changed all the cables, used my ntl coax, still the same. decided to call it a night as its dark. if the quality level wud stay constant then at least id be able to see which way improves it lol. i can see why so many ppl get wound up with it lol

if you can't see the TV when your at the dish m8 open the windows and turn the volume up full blast then at least you'll hear it when it hits the signal lol.

the bars will go up and down untill you hit the sattelite properly m8ty.

Best way to do it is on bbc world on thor untill you get a picture.

Make sure the coax is double screened (braid and foil)

Did you also set your lat on the side of the motor??

Curly

I have been following this thread
And this might be why I am knot getting setting right and need an eplanation

So if you set your dish and motor to south!!!!! ( and zero it ) ok next you move the whole thing
To thor 1w slowly moving the dish up & down till you hit thor at 1w and lock on and scan

my question is

So how can you go to zero as zero in now thor 1w if you see what I mean ??
Which would mean that the rest of the sats where out ????? Is that right

Or do you set your dish and motor to south select drive to satellite thor 1w then try to find the sat
With your motor arm just cranked to 1w
slowly moving the dish up & down till you hit thor at 1w and lock on and scan ????

cheers

I have been following this thread
And this might be why I am knot getting setting right and need an eplanation

So if you set your dish and motor to south!!!!! ( and zero it ) ok next you move the whole thing
To thor 1w slowly moving the dish up & down till you hit thor at 1w and lock on and scan

my question is

So how can you go to zero as zero in now thor 1w if you see what I mean ??
Which would mean that the rest of the sats where out ????? Is that right

Or do you set your dish and motor to south select drive to satellite thor 1w then try to find the sat
With your motor arm just cranked to 1w
slowly moving the dish up & down till you hit thor at 1w and lock on and scan ????

cheers

No m8 0 on the motor! if you look at the mounting pole on the motor there is numbers going round in a circle with 0 being in the middle at the top.

When you are pointing it at thor the motor should be on 0. This then mean you dish is straight and at it's highest which is what you want because thor is at the top of the clarke belt.

Then when your dish moves left or right it starts to dip just as the arc does if it didnt dip it would go in a straight line and miss all the sattelites.

No m8 0 on the motor! if you look at the mounting pole on the motor there is numbers going round in a circle with 0 being in the middle at the top.

When you are pointing it at thor the motor should be on 0. This then mean you dish is straight and at it's highest which is what you want because thor is at the top of the clarke belt.

Then when your dish moves left or right it starts to dip just as the arc does if it didnt dip it would go in a straight line and miss all the sattelites.

Cheers m8
I am having a senior moment here
so when you drive to position zero that is thor !!! but the thing I cant get my head round is
So you drive to sat thor wouldn’t that be 1oW past zero if you can understand what I mean

ps using a db 600 same as you m8

Last edited:
Cheers m8
so when you drive to position zero that is thor !!! but the thing I cant get my head round is
So you drive to sat thor wouldn’t that be 1oW past zero if you can understand what I mean

just for the moment forget about were thor is with regards to degrees.

like i said to magicalbeef get the motor 0 then move the whole assembly dish and motor around the mounting pole to thor at 1w then once you get a signal tighten everything up. From that point on you do not need to adjust anything outside its all fine tuning done via the reciever.

Ofcourse you may when trying to find thor need to change the elevation on the dish bracket i did.

Cheers m8

just for the moment forget about were thor is with regards to degrees.

like i said to magicalbeef get the motor 0 then move the whole assembly dish and motor around the mounting pole to thor at 1w then once you get a signal tighten everything up. From that point on you do not need to adjust anything outside its all fine tuning done via the reciever.

Ofcourse you may when trying to find thor need to change the elevation on the dish bracket i did.

not trying to confuse the issue but what chadda said is correct.
if your dish is pointing dead south then you would have to step the motor to the west by slightly less than 1 degree to hit thor.

If your box supports USALS you should then be able to get it to recalculate the position of all the other sats and then, hopefully robert is your mothers brother.

if your dish is pointing dead south then you would have to step the motor to the west by slightly less than 1 degree to hit thor.

If your box supports USALS you should then be able to get it to recalculate the position of all the other sats and then, hopefully robert is your mothers brother.

Exactly what I am saying
if your dish is pointing dead south then thor is 1ow ok so why set the motor to zero
It seems logical to set the motor to zero with the dish pointing south!!! go inside drive the motor to thor the motors arm will crank 1ow find the sat!!! even if you have to move it around the mount ??
so driving to position zero then will not be thor

That is not what i did or what i was told to do when my dish is on thor at 1w the motor is on zero.

Which when you think about it makes sense because at that point your dish is at it's highest.

with the motor at zero i checked dishpointer.com to see were i need to be aiming dish which tbh was about spot on. All i did then was raise the dish slowly and bamn i hit it got a picture and snr of 95% tigthened the lot up then found astra did 1 step eor w to fine tune same with hotbird i think it was and i then get pretty much any sattelite i look for.

Exactly what I am saying
if your dish is pointing dead south then thor is 1ow ok so why set the motor to zero
It seems logical to set the motor to zero with the dish pointing south!!! go inside drive the motor to thor the motors arm will crank 1ow find the sat!!! even if you have to move it around the mount ??
so driving to position zero then will not be thor

I see what your saying but this is why you move the motor around the mount my dish is pointing to 1w but the motor is still on zero because i moved everything around to 1 w by hand

when ever ive done any dish all i do is set motor to zero
then move the lot as sargie said until i get thor and tighten up then
usr remote to do the rest.
done 4 lately and they all went well

I see what your saying but this is why you move the motor around the mount my dish is pointing to 1w but the motor is still on zero because i moved everything around to 1 w by hand

then your dish is set to zero which should be absolute south but is actually pointing 0.8 west.

then your dish is set to zero which should be absolute south but is actually pointing 0.8 west.

but thor is at the top of the arc so why would i want my dish dipping off to 1w?

Back