dish mounting

but thor is at the top of the arc so why would i want my dish dipping off to 1w?

regardless of what is top of the arc 0 means true south.
thor is 0.8 degrees west of south.

at 0 your lnb should be dead straight ie no skew at all.

regardless of what is top of the arc 0 means true south.
thor is 0.8 degrees west of south.

at 0 your lnb should be dead straight ie no skew at all.

It is dead straight at 0? at which point it is aiming a thor 1w and im watching bbc world on my tv.

zero or 0.8 is irrelevant.
I'm not that hungry, can someone attempt to only cut me a small slice of cake ~ i just want 0.8 degrees from the whole cake......
Anyway, can anyone here honestly align that accurate by using a compass and judgement of eye that its that straight? C'mon be real, that is why tutorials mention using 'slight' adjustment to suit because it will only be pure luck if you really get absolute zero and can judge the 0.8 difference in your straight line. :)

zero or 0.8 is irrelevant.
I'm not that hungry, can someone attempt to only cut me a small slice of cake ~ i just want 0.8 degrees from the whole cake......
Anyway, can anyone here honestly align that accurate by using a compass and judgement of eye that its that straight? C'mon be real, that is why tutorials mention using 'slight' adjustment to suit because it will only be pure luck if you really get absolute zero and can judge the 0.8 difference in your straight line. :)

i know m8 . You're right.
it's just me lol.
It doesn't make any difference really but if it's 0 it should be 0 not 0.8 degrees west of 0.

but yes I can get a dish pointing dead south with a compass ;)

I didn't even bother too much about precisely where south was tbh.
I set the lat on the side of the motor, made sure that the dish was bang on middle of the short arm of the motor and roughly verticle.
I put in my coordinates in the stb and then selected thor and bbc world.
The dish twitched as it moved from 0 to 0.8 west
I then moved the entire assembly east to west and back on the main pole, and altered the elevation of the dish untill I got bbc world.
Once I got a good picture I carefully tightened everything up so as not to move anything.
I selected astra and the dish moved to it bang on.
I did the same for hispasat and it did the same, bang on.
knowing I was following the arc it was easy to get every sat from 42 east to 37.5 west.
Maybe I flooked it to a degree lol, but after doing lots of reading on here first, everything went really well.

Curly

I didn't even bother too much about precisely where south was tbh.
I set the lat on the side of the motor, made sure that the dish was bang on middle of the short arm of the motor and roughly verticle.
I put in my coordinates in the stb and then selected thor and bbc world.
The dish twitched as it moved from 0 to 0.8 west
I then moved the entire assembly east to west and back on the main pole, and altered the elevation of the dish untill I got bbc world.
Once I got a good picture I carefully tightened everything up so as not to move anything.
I selected astra and the dish moved to it bang on.
I did the same for hispasat and it did the same, bang on.
knowing I was following the arc it was easy to get every sat from 42 east to 37.5 west.
Maybe I flooked it to a degree lol, but after doing lots of reading on here first, everything went really well.

Curly

i bet you didn't get nilesat :)

It is dead straight at 0? at which point it is aiming a thor 1w and im watching bbc world on my tv.

if your motor is at 0° and is pointing directly at Thor (which is 0.8°) then it's out.
0° is 0°.
0.8° is slightly west of 0°.

???

Last edited:
if your motor is at 0° and is pointing directly at Thor (which is 0.8°) then it's out.
0° is 0°.
0.8° is slightly west of 0°.

???

Must be out then.

I bet i could get loads of channels if it wasn't seeing as i get thousands already.

Must be out then.

I bet i could get loads of channels if it wasn't seeing as i get thousands already.

your missing the point but never mind chum..

happy viewing ;)

your missing the point but never mind chum..

happy viewing ;)

am i i thought the whole point was that my dish is out if a dish is out by a mm it can make all the difference of hitting a sat or missing it im sure you know that.

I was just trying to help magicalbeef setup his sat it worked for me and i know of at least 5 other people who setup using the exact same method and it works for them too.

Hell ive only set one sat system up but recently and i was just passing on what i learnt.

Feck arguing about it peace out yall.

At this point I can imagine v14 re-tuning sky dishes and trying to work out why none of them whatsever are exactly 28.2 degrees..... ranged between 27 and 29 mostly. Then while tweaking for the customer, remembers that Eurobird is exactly 28.5 degrees and trying to work out how only 1 dish can be used when its going to be massively out of alignment.... :)

After reading the last 8 pages I have decided too join magicalbeef in silicon heaven, I will jump off the roof while holding a 80cm dish and technomate 6900 box :nopity:

Seriously from a newbie pov u guys are scary, I aint even decided on which box and motorised kit too get even !

Back