darkman unwell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Deanoboy I agree 100% with your post but for me LINUX was a no go, I played with an Eagle receiver for about a week and packed it up and it's still in my garage.
When you have to find stupid pathways with endless forward slashes in them then it's not for me or the average user.
To be honest it's not through lack of understanding or lack of trying that I packed in LINUX receivers it's simply the totally user unfriendly language it's written in.
When you compare the ease of using say a Spiderbox or TM5402 with the to my mind totally unnecessary complications of LINUX receivers then give me the Spiderbox/Technomate/Nannoxx/Protek receivers every time.
If the above receivers can be made so simple to update and operate why do we need the additional complications of LINUX, in my mind this just does not make sense.

If you can navigate through the 'my computer' explorer function on your pc, and type, then you can navigate round a Linux receiver, you just need to think of it as a computer pretending to be a receiver

It IS a learning curve, but opens lots of options :)

:proud:i have to agree with digi and jimmy over this ok a lot of people are into this as a hobbie like all hobbies we get what we put in but as jimmy said about linux i have to agree i think most of us are in this to get what we can out of the game so whats really wrong about making it a lot more user friendly? after a dodgy start a just cant belive how easy the spider really is. so for all you linux users trying to imput your lines just before the cup final i will keep you updated with the score while am watching lol

If you can navigate through the 'my computer' explorer function on your pc, and type, then you can navigate round a Linux receiver, you just need to think of it as a computer pretending to be a receiver

i am going to get a linux reciever to play with, if i get the tm600 can i pm you?
sorry digidude i ment when i do run into trouble having followed all your stickies in the tm section.

Last edited:

Well Digidude I really do appreciate your post but first I will say that in 1970 I used to write machine code applications for various processors in commercial applications.
True by today's standards those CPU's were somewhat primitive but I wrote by hand not using an assembler and de bugged my software and got the projects installed and working.
Now give me the instruction set for a processor and I will do it again but LINUX in me produces a mental block I find it totally frustrating and a "cobbled up software" maybe it was written with good intentions, but for me it's totally lacking in any "flow".
Ok I accept that its me thats the problem as other members "seem" to have no problem with it, maybe if I adopt a "follow the steps" approach I might get somewhere but I like to understand what is going on and I just cant "click" where LINUX is concerned.
Ok when I've finished playing with my TM I'll get the Eagle out again but thats far down on my to do list, even the thought of it makes me reluctant to start.
One advantage of old age is you can pick and choose what you do and ripping my hair out (what little I have remaining) in frustration is not one of my choices.

You can setup a Linux reciever without ever looking at a Linux CLI or having to use any Linux commands...

- Flash the relevant image via Windows using DreamUP if it's a Dreambox, or the relevant tool for your reciever.

- Install any relevant plugins via built in image GUI based download panel.

- Using FTP client on PC copy across any relevant files SoftCAM configs etc..you can set relevant file permissions if required by point and click as well...

- transfer any file listings / bouquets using the relevant tool on PC again all drag n drop, point and click GUI based like DreamBox Edit... etc..

Very rarely have I ever needed to use any LINUX commands from a CLI on a STB...most standard users wont have to...all the basic funtionality is all GUI based and nearly all the relevant tools run under windows,

have to agree with gsm tech setting up your box is straight foward enough if you have basic computer skills you can do it networking ftp etc is all you need you do not need to know linux or use linux os as all the software they use like db etet dcc etc work on windows a lot of the dreambox editing software does not work on a linux os or even mac.
you just need to know where to put the opened files the thats when you follow the guides like adding a new music file from your desktop you just work through the directory and put it where it needs to go .
a lot of boxes you can flash firmware via usb nowadays
but saying that the new non linux boxes like the spiderbox and tm5402 are more stable in my opinion get that eagle out jimmy give it another try it looked hard back then but look how easy to network your other boxes the eagle would be just as easy to talk to your network then go from there stage by stage it is a lot easier than you think

I did flash images on the Eagle in the past without any problems, yes I agree if the Eagle could accept files from a USB stick then I would be more likely to dig it out today and do it.
My situation is I live in a new built house and the ground floor (which was my garage but I bricked it up to make a recording studio) is where my PC with a serial port lives.
When I closed my homebrew shop about a year ago all the remaining 20 years of junk (actually some of it is not junk) got stuck in the garage and until I sort out a couple of things I cant clear the garage.
I will have another go but for now my Spiderbox and TM5402 give me plenty to watch, its one on those "I'll start next week or maybe the week after jobs or maybe the week after that.....).
But ONE day I WILL.
Again I come back to IF the Technomate and Spiderbox are SO easy to setup do we really need receivers that in my case simply add difficulty to what can be and is so simple a process?
I have helped members who simply cant setup a Spiderbox (in one case someone had struggled for two weeks before asking for help, in one ten minute phone call I could hear IT'S WORKING!!).
How on Earth would he have coped with a LINUX receiver.

Yup agreed, Linux recievers may not be everyones cup of tea...the easier to use more straightforward closed source boxes such as spiderbox, TM5402, etc are a lot more suited to people who want "plug and play" without the hassle of learning how to use Dreamup, FTP clients, channel lists etc.

Personally working in IT, and working with network gear like switches, routers etc I already knew about transferring software via null modem, FTP, IP addressing etc...so the learning curve wasnt as steep, was just the reciever specific software I had to get my head around...

I suppose it's more of a tinkering hobbyist, thing, I like the flexibility of Linux recievers and trying out different images, plugins etc..

So for people that just want to get up and running quickly a plug and play type closed source box is going to fit their needs better.

closed source recievers will suit people who just want to watch tv with the minimum maintenance.

on the other hand linux recievers with their virtually unlimited plugin capability's offer enthusiast's loads of features that enhance watching tv and the whole audio/visual experience as long as they don't mind putting the hours in setting everything up.

Spiderbox, M-Vision, (Some) Technomates and all other "Vaniila" receivers have a very simplistic GUI and offer very little in advancement over other receivers that were available 10 years ago. The majority of "Vanilla" receivers have the CS capabilites "stuck" on as a third party patch and are not designed to run as well as a receiver which has software written and designed specifically for CS. The main reason for this is because if a manufacturer released a "Vanilla" receiver that worked reliably with CS from the moment you took it out of the box the receiver wouldn't be around for long and neither would the manufacturer. This is the reason why Linux receivers are so popular because the software which you load onto it is written by teams who spend time pouring over the OS, enhancing it and ensuring plugins, emulators, skins and everything else that is available using a Linux based receiver works. If you don't want to/can't be bothered to learn about Linux and the options available to you then choose a "Vanilla" receiver, if you want something that will allow you to set recordings from your mobile phone,or watch TV whilst your at work then choose a Linux based receiver. You make it as easy or as hard as you wish and there are plenty of posts on here explaining how to do certain things with Linux based receivers. You just need to be prepared to spend the time reading about how it all works.

Regards

Liam

I hate to open an old thread but it kinda went off track and I cant find an answer anywhere...
What was the final result with the DM was he unwell in jail or was it all a hoax.
Does anyone know the full story?

its a load of crap...........
unless he got food poisoning or summit when he was here

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

sorting NEW super box

PM , if you want his other shop outlet details m8

I hate to open an old thread but it kinda went off track and I cant find an answer anywhere...
What was the final result with the DM was he unwell in jail or was it all a hoax.
Does anyone know the full story?

hahaha

told ya theres was nowt wrong with him............he's been busy flogging his box, multicard reader ect.................ibero

Darkman is well he is in Dubai drinking champagne and having fun with the hookers at our expense he is laughing at all us fools who bought his crappy box,s including vuo duo dildo box.

Darkman is well he is in Dubai drinking champagne and having fun with the hookers at our expense he is laughing at all us fools who bought his crappy box,s including vuo duo dildo box.

Nothing wrong with my spiderbox, it works a treat

Nor mine mate, I installed exactly as per the instructions and have had uninterupted viewing ever since (not only via gift). Best box I've owned.

the spiderbox is a good bit of user friendly kit, even if the 'official' support places tend to be a little enthusiastic with the truth about it, and my Vu+ Duo is used more than my original DM800HD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back