D-Link Mobile Router

Dutcho

VIP POOF
VIP Member
Reaction score
Chaps I currently dont have broadband so I've bought a Vodaphone dongle. I wanted to connect it to my dreambox so got myself a dlink mobile router that will allow me to plug the dongle into it.

For the life of me though I cant access the router I just get the ! mark on the connection and typing 192.168.0.1 into browser wont allow me to connect to it

I'm pulling my hair out now and advice ?

It's model no DIR-451 if that helps

Cheers

if your connected to the router with a pc then go to command prompt and type ipconfig/all then it'll show you the IP address of your machine and then the router. (just scroll up a little in the dos box and you'll see default gateway)

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\>ipconfig /all

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : removed for your eyes!
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : removed again so NO snooping! (Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.11(Preferred) my PC
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

or you can type arp-a in there as well and that willl list your access points on your network, but using the above you should be good to go, find it out etc. (here is what the ipconfig/all looks like in dos)

14-12-201114-50-56.jpg

Last edited:
what's the history of this router? is it 2nd hand or new, they may have DHCP turned off which would suggest why it's not giving you an IP address....

you could give the PC a static IP address 192.168.0.10 and then try again

if it's 2nd hand then it would suggest that the previous person maybe has DHCP disabled etc. you could try a factory reset, this means holding a paper clip or some thing like this in the little whole for 30 seconds, if you press it once this is a "soft reset" your after a "hard reset" hold for about 30 seconds.....then it should kick back into life.

See how you get on with the static IP address on your machine 1st though.

(all depends etc. on what range they have/dhcp etc.)

and you have the cable from the pc into one of the lan ports....

NO joy with static and yes in settings it does say dhcp no available bummer, I've tried the reset button on the back too

You must have got in the router config page then mate to see DHCP no?

I've mailed the guy I got it off on fleabay and he said he'd send another if I was having problems, well cant say fairer than that but id still like to try and get this one working in the mean time

try the hard reset mate like i said, and i have a netgear here that i can get to you before 9.00am tomorrow if you wanna PM me, then you can send it back when you want. but i'm sure a hard reset will work.... :cool:

When you set a static ip address did you set the gateway? (a hard reset always works...in the end like)

they may have it configured, DCHP disabled etc. really need to get it back to stock i'd say

linksys.jpg

Last edited:
It actually doesnt react to the micro switch being pressed there's no light change or anything, thanks for the offer mate I'll keep that in mind hopefully this guy is sending another out as I type :)

ah does it? dang!

I know on my linksys i can disbale the "reset" button but on a stock D-Link i doub't any one would have done that as i think it just comes with the standard firmware....sounds like it might be why he's sold it then.

Have you tried holding the button down when powering it on, and you defo got a really small pointy thing to fit in the whole to depress it?

Cheers man.

Dibbs.

no worries. If your going to throw it away fire it over i'd be interested in getting it apart and having a mess on etc.

Cheers man and good luck with the new one!

The new router has arrived and I've connected to it no problem, now the next problem I've plugged the dongle into it but does it require a username and password to use the dongle ? There is an option there for it

Cheers

Sounds like it will do? what's under USB settings?

USB Settings(1) Network USB

Select to share a USB printer, scanner, or storage device connected to the USB port behind the router with multiple users within your network.
Support
Device drivers and the D-Link USB Network Utility must be installed on each computer that will use the device.

(2) 3G USB Adapter

Select 3G USB Adapter to use a 3G adapter to provide access to the Internet using an EV-DO cellular signal. Simply connect a 3G USB adapter to access the Internet (third party EV-DO subscription and available signal required).

Support If you have trouble accessing the Internet through the router. Double check the settings you entered on this page and verify with your Internet Service Provider (ISP) if needed.

(3) WCN

Configuration

Select to configure your wireless network using Windows Connect Now (WCN). WCN allows you to copy your wireless settings from the router to a USB flash drive and use to automatically configure the wireless settings on your computer(s) or other WCN-compatible devices.

Can you get on the net with the dongle just attached to the laptop/PC that way if your using there java pop up thing (the vodafone settings) to get internet access could you not see the settings that way? if it's Vodafone I feel for You! Terrible Customer services, <<< thought i'd get that one in here for the web crawlers!

urm....i'll have a look for ya

Back