Could you actually get sent to the courts for the same offence twice ?

Lanstrom

Inactive User
Reaction score
I know there is a film about it but is it real ?

I saw this in my local paper under Court Dates ....
xxxxx xxxxxxxx, aged 37. Application to re-open a case originally heard on December xx. Defendant pleaded guilty to using a television set without a licence. Fined £50 and ordered to pay £75 court costs.

Now I have just paid for 12 months TV license at a cost of £145 (ish) but should I have bothered ? Maybe I could have just taken the risk and not purchased one. If I was to get a fine like the above it would still only cost me £125 so I would be quids in, and because I have already been done for the crime I still wouldn't bother buying one but this time I can't be done for it again :)

Whadda ya recon ?! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Can you actually get sent to the courts for the same offence twice ?

Of course you can get sent to court for the same offence. The punishment will be far worse the second time around

More likely £50 + £75 + £145

I believe the fine for not paying a TV licence can go up to a £1000

Yes you can be done twice. It's like assaulting two people. lol

There was some law in the past that said, if you've been found not guilty and later some concrete evidence appears, you couldn't get put back in court but thats all changed now.

reckon they could ...as you would be commiting a offence at a different time .think it would be classed as a persisdent* offender. but would be good to find out for deffo

try it and let us know :proud:

xxxxx xxxxxxx, aged 37. Application to re-open a case originally heard on December xx. Defendant pleaded guilty to using a television set without a licence. Fined £50 and ordered to pay £75 court costs.

Now I have just paid for 12 months TV license at a cost of £145 (ish) but should I have bothered ? Maybe I could have just taken the risk and not purchased one. If I was to get a fine like the above it would still only cost me £125 so I would be quids in, and because I have already been done for the crime I still wouldn't bother buying one but this time I can't be done for it again :)

think about it, once they have done you once for not having a licence they would keep a very close eye on you in case you decided to risk it again.

if you commit the same crime twice then yes if it is the same offence then no
you cannot be tried twice for the same crime

each day you don't have a license is a different offense

because on the court papers it will state the day you offended.

that's like saying you got caught speeding on a Monday and did it again on the Tuesday and expect to get away with it.

if you commit the same crime twice then yes if it is the same offence then no
you cannot be tried twice for the same crime

The laws changed, if you were found innocent and new info arose then they can try you twice. If found guilty then no.

Yep its called the double jeopordy law. Existed for years and years but its changed now. It used to be if you were tried and found innocent for a crime, you couldnt be tried again for the same case (not the same crime).

Yes you can be fined twice for the same offence and the punishment is far more proactive for the second offence as you should have learnt by your mistakes.

Yes you can be fined twice for the same offence and the punishment is far more proactive for the second offence as you should have learnt by your mistakes.

Good coz I paid for mine and that person deserves to be fined. I hope they made her pay for a new licence too :)

xxxxx xxxxxxxx, aged 37. Application to re-open a case originally heard on December xx. Defendant pleaded guilty to using a television set without a licence. Fined £50 and ordered to pay £75 court costs.

You will find that on top of costs & fine they back date the license to the date they calculate you last had a licence & you have to pay, this is done by the licencing authority & is delt separate from the court case, & you will be done every time they catch you without a licence the robbing TW*TS

I think some people are confusing the double jepoerdy law. When they day same crime they mean the actual time.ie if u murdered joe bloggs aand got found not guilty u can't be tried again for the murder of joe bloggs. But it don't mean you can't get tried again for murder of a different person. If you then go murder billy bob you still get tried. Hope that's a bit clearer lol but anyway that law don't exist anymore.

I totally agree, that person totally deserved the fine. Quite how you can claim that you said you were illegally using a television and then try to claim you were not later on is a massively stupid move in my opinion.

I am fascinated to hear the reasoning behind this

I totally agree, that person totally deserved the fine. Quite how you can claim that you said you were illegally using a television and then try to claim you were not later on is a massively stupid move (in my opinion)

I am fascinated to hear the reasoning behind this

I am assuming theres been a post deleted here (by thejudge) since it looks like your reply doesnt quite fit the post above yours ? I also notice that you went to his (thejudge) user page and he has now been banned.

I dont have a copy of the message he sent me (he left it on my visitor page) but he wanted my home address so he could "discuss the matter" with me.
I dont like to upset people and was just copying what was on the web site (as an example) and in fact I deleted her address where-as the paper did not. The topic wasnt about this individual anyway so I have no idea why he got so upset.

I am not going to apologise for the fact that she never bothered to buy a TV license when the rest of us do either :)

Anyone care to fill me in on what happened last night ?

I am assuming theres been a post deleted here (by thejudge) since it looks like your reply doesnt quite fit the post above yours ? I also notice that you went to his (thejudge) user page and he has now been banned.

I dont have a copy of the message he sent me (he left it on my visitor page) but he wanted my home address so he could "discuss the matter" with me.
I dont like to upset people and was just copying what was on the web site (as an example) and in fact I deleted her address where-as the paper did not. The topic wasnt about this individual anyway so I have no idea why he got so upset.

I am not going to apologise for the fact that she never bothered to buy a TV license when the rest of us do either :)

Lanstrom, if the Judge leaves you another nice message like that, then let me know mate, and I will deal immediately. We will not condone violence or threatening behaviour towards members, especially when its freedom of speech about a news article. Who does the Judge think he is the censorship police or something?

@The Judge, if your that concerned about this woman, and her innocence, then I suggest you get the court action turned over, and the case dismissed. Only way you cannot be done for not having a TV License is if your tv has been modified to not show the BBC channels. Unless this is what your lady friend did, then she would be guilty as charged. Therefore she deserved the charge and the fine, perhaps the fact that someone called her a ******** was a little unnecessary, but so is you riding in on your white horse, with your suit of armour, and a bunch of flowers for the damsel in distress (in my opinion).

I wonder if the original reporter of the article, and the paper it was in, would be interested to know that the lady concerned is no longer guilty, and that the Judge here is making threats towards people on the internet for reporting the story. I think there maybe a follow up story here ;)

The judge is obviously the person this story is about (in my opinion), she is trying to claim that the forum has a case to answer for defamation.

In reality "the judge" is already guilty of personal threat and that is something we can report to the authorities if we feel we have to. Not to mention impersonating a magistrate!

For the record DW members can freely comment on news events in the public domain if we want to. I support freedom of speech and there is nothing legally wrong with any posts in this thread.

I am sure that this thread will be updated and if by some minor miracle this woman has her conviction overturned I for one will be highly interested in the story behind it. I mean if you are not guilty then you say not guilty in the first place. When answering a case of using a television without a tv license then surely its a yes or no situation.

I have tidied this post up a little it was bordering a little libelous in my opinion.

When we discuss matters is there really a need to call people names ?

I do not know who this lady is or what she has done, we promote freedom of speech but we also need to act like adults, and leave the name calling for school.

If you want to talk about serious topics which you have an opinion then fantastic but try and treat it with a little respect please as I would like to leave the post for everyone to read and not remove it due to silly name calling.

Regards
Mick

Back