Motorway middle-lane hoggers to face on-the-spot fines

if your going to do the speed limit and above in the middle lane it isnt so much of a problem but its those idiots who do 60 - 65 in the middle lane, they are just creating an obsticle for other motorists! Lots of drivers think as theres 3 lanes they are entitled to drive in any one they see fit! I see lots of middle aged drivers doing this, I bet if I tackled them they'd reply with "i've been driving 30 years I think I know how to drive!"

if your going to do the speed limit and above in the middle lane it isnt so much of a problem but its those idiots who do 60 - 65 in the middle lane, they are just creating an obsticle for other motorists! Lots of drivers think as theres 3 lanes they are entitled to drive in any one they see fit! I see lots of middle aged drivers doing this, I bet if I tackled them they'd reply with "i've been driving 30 years I think I know how to drive!"
Jamesy I agree with what you are saying. Now judging by some of the comments on here can you see why we all need to have mock driving tests say every 5 years. Some of you will remember when the highway code was just a booklet. Have a look at the new addition now. The Law is changing and new road signs are being introduced all the time.

rule 264 of the highway code,

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking.

can argue all day really but facts are facts, if you hog the middle lane you should get done

This is a pet hate of mine when on the motorway and people just sit there in the middle lane oblivious to what is going on around them. I've lost count the amounts of times i've had to come from the inside lane right out into the outside lane to overtake someone in the middle lane and then come back into the inside just so i don't get caught breaking the law by undertkaing is ridiculous!
I may have undertaken at times but thats through frustration and it would be me that gets done for that when there just cruising along in there own world in the middle lane.

Maybe I should have put this in the rant room lol!

Oh dear 2006/2007 H? that was then this is now. These guys have got there wish to make it Law. What a pity this thread is only about Motorway's, considering the amount of idiots that are out there on the minor routes as well. But we shall leave that topic for another day then shall we?. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
why are you sitting in the middle lane then ? whats the matter with the inside one ?

If I'm going at the speed limit I will sometimes sit in the middle lane to avoid having to constantly pull out and back in,usually when there is a string of slower moving traffic in the inside lane

So we will all have to use the ever increasing amount of Lorries as mobile chicanes then ?

It's just move in if the left lane is free ffs. If it's a 'stealth tax' it's easily avoided. As far as other roads are concerned it happens the world over, even on country roads in backward little places like here.

Of course, many do come a cropper hereabouts flashing round corners to be confronted by a tractor - a 4' bale spike through your engine block is very persuasive ;)

It's just move in if the left lane is free ffs. If it's a 'stealth tax' it's easily avoided. As far as other roads are concerned it happens the world over, even on country roads in backward little places like here.

Of course, many do come a cropper hereabouts flashing round corners to be confronted by a tractor - a 4' bale spike through your engine block is very persuasive ;)

Now you are talking H what about this posh barsteward lane they are putting in for the la de dah's?. Sorry about it being old news Mr wiz I am just bringing this to all the members attention. Please feel free to severely whip me. :) Does this leave the middle lane open for us peasants then?????

Pay more tax to drive on motorway: Two-tier system could mean only rich motorists use fast routes | Mail Online

Now you are talking H what about this posh barsteward lane they are putting in for the la de dah's?. Sorry about it being old news Mr wiz I am just bringing this to all the members attention. Please feel free to severely whip me. :) Does this leave the middle lane open for us peasants then?????

Pay more tax to drive on motorway: Two-tier system could mean only rich motorists use fast routes | Mail Online

Some bright spark hasn't figured out that free roads would be jammed to sh!te. Subsequently, repairs for said roads would go through the roof and the tax would be gobbled up in tarmac costs!

It's the if free on the left move in bit that is open to over zealous Police though.

If you have pulled out to overtake a lorry what's the acceptable distance to the next lorry to merit pulling into the left or staying in the middle lane ? Down to the individual Coppers judgment I suppose.

Police have quotas im related to one.

If I'm going at the speed limit I will sometimes sit in the middle lane to avoid having to constantly pull out and back in,usually when there is a string of slower moving traffic in the inside lane

well people like you wont be doing it much longer that's for sure :LOL: fines, points or worse still them AWARENESS courses :LOL:, you just crack on mate & have fun ;), just so glad they have brought this in, be better for the majority or sensible road users

well people like you wont be doing it much longer that's for sure :LOL: fines, points or worse still them AWARENESS courses :LOL:, you just crack on mate & have fun ;), just so glad they have brought this in, be better for the majority or sensible road users

Well considering I live in Ireland I wont lose any sleep over these new "laws" your lot are bringing in :lol:

And as for your subtle hint that I may be a bad driver

BITE ME ;)

subtle hint? well tbh someone who hogs the middle lane mate aint a good driver in my book , but i wont worry about it , they get the points & fines, not me , that's why these changes are being brought in, i don't know you , never met you & never will, i cant cast aspersions on your driving , you could be the best driver in the world or the worst, i have my opinions though as do the government , over here like ;)

well tbh someone who hogs the middle lane mate aint a good driver in my book ,

Ah but I never said I hog the middle lane,you did,and in doing so cast aspersions on my driving,even though you said you could not :)

Therefore I cannot trust anything that you post as you have shown yourself to be untrustworthy,so for all I know you could be a middle lane hogger :D

personally i cannot see the argument here if the inside lane is clear and for a good distance then you should pull in there is no reason to sit in one lane for miles and miles unless there is a long line of slower moving traffic
the drivers who need to be penalized are the ones who sit i the overtaking lane ( 3rd lane ) doing well over the speed limit forcing others to move

personally i cannot see the argument here if the inside lane is clear and for a good distance then you should pull in there is no reason to sit in one lane for miles and miles unless there is a long line of slower moving traffic

Exactly :)

Well considering I live in Ireland I wont lose any sleep over these new "laws" your lot are bringing in :lol:

And as for your subtle hint that I may be a bad driver

BITE ME ;)
My goodness I miss all that now wiz :( miles and miles of beautiful countryside. :)

Back