Motorway middle-lane hoggers to face on-the-spot fines

miggy

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Motorway tailgaters and middle-lane hoggers are to face quick justice with on-the-spot penalties under new measures announced by the government.

FULL STORY:
Motorway middle-lane hoggers to face on-the-spot fines

_67983545_traffic.jpg

Tailgating and middle-lane hogging will now incur fixed penalties

Motorway tailgaters and middle-lane hoggers are to face quick justice with on-the-spot penalties under new measures announced by the government.
From July, police will be able to issue £100 fines and three points for careless driving offences that would currently have to go to court.
The idea is to target offenders without the need for lengthy court procedures.
Current fixed penalties for using a phone while driving or not wearing a seatbelt will also rise by £40 to £100.
The move brings careless driving offences into line with the penalties for similar non-motoring fixed penalties. Drivers will still be able to appeal against any decision through the courts.
'Pet hates'People guilty of careless driving will face fixed penalties or the chance to go on a driving course, but the more serious examples will continue to go through the courts, where offenders could face much higher fines and penalties.
Many offences currently go unpunished because of the bureaucracy involved in taking a case to court.
Not only does a motorist have to be stopped by the police, but a summons has to be issued and evidence presented in court.
Road Safety Minister Stephen Hammond said: "Careless drivers are a menace and their negligence puts innocent people's lives at risk.
"That is why we are making it easier for the police to tackle problem drivers by allowing them to immediately issue a fixed penalty notice rather than needing to take every offender to court."
The AA said responsible drivers would welcome the changes.
"We are also pleased to see that at long last new powers and fines will be given to the police to tackle the top three pet hates of drivers - tailgaters, mobile phone abusers and middle lane hogs," said AA president Edmund King.
RAC Foundation director Professor Stephen Glaister said: "Anti-social behaviour is as big a problem on the roads as it is in wider society.
"Giving police more discretion to act, and freeing up resources to allow them to do so by cutting procedural delays in court, is good news.
"Raising the fine level to £100 is justifiable to tackle the plague of handheld mobile phone use which slows drivers' reaction times even more than being at the drink-drive limit or taking cannabis."
Downplays the offence
_67983395_tim.jpg

Tim Shallcross, Institute of Advanced Motorists: ''For on-the-spot fines, you need on-the-spot policemen''

But the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) said it had concerns about the message sent out by the changes.
Its director of policy Neil Grieg said: "This is a major change in traffic law enforcement and the IAM is concerned that issuing fixed penalty tickets for careless driving downplays the seriousness of the offence.
"Careless covers a wide range of poor to reckless driving behaviour that often merits further investigation.
"This could free up traffic police time and allow them to maintain a higher profile.
"But without traffic cops out on the road to enforce this new approach it will have little impact on road safety."
Motoring journalist Quentin Willson also questioned whether there would be enough traffic police to make the changes work.
He said: "It's broadly to be welcomed because it marks a shift away from remote policing - that's cameras - to actually using traffic cops.
_67986176_drive.jpg

Motorists' views: "Just a money-making thing'' or "fair enough"?

"But the problem is the amount of traffic police cars has been cut since 1997 by 50%, so the obvious question is 'how do you enforce this?' It's deeply faulted."
Richard Owen from the research group Road Safety Analysis said most motorists would welcome the changes.
He told the BBC: "We already know that the UK's motorways are some of the safest roads in the country, if not Europe.
"But of course, that relies on everybody playing their part and sticking to the rules and I think most motorists would welcome any further enforcement to make sure that people aren't lane hogging or maybe tailgating."

ORIGINAL SOURCE:
BBC News - Motorway middle-lane hoggers to face on-the-spot fines

Last edited by a moderator:
just giving Police more power that piss me off

That's true bobby but this form of erratic driving needs stopping somehow and why only Motorways is it going to be law? the streets and roads are full of idiots that will stop at nothing until they get in front of you. Something needs to be done bobby any ideas?.

If you allow peasants to drive cars you need to flog a few to get them to understand the rules. Maybe it will save me having to shunt them out of the way ;)

The boys in blue are watching you H. You have been warned. ;)

The boys in blue are watching you H. You have been warned. ;)

M8, the 'boys in blue' love me, I make them laugh ;) I always put me hands up and say 'It's a fair cop, Guv' - every time they snatch me in the T5 ...

...Jeez, it's so fecking hard to keep a T5 under the speed limit ;)

M8, the 'boys in blue' love me, I make them laugh ;) I always put me hands up and say 'It's a fair cop, Guv' - every time they snatch me in the T5 ...

...Jeez, it's so fecking hard to keep a T5 under the speed limit ;)

Did you say T5 H? or Sinclair's C5 lol :proud:

They are attempting to address a problem that isn't a road safety issue, with high penalties.

I agree with the sentiment because I frequently get annoyed with muppets sitting in the middle lane on a perfectly empty road, but the method is wrong.

They are attempting to address a problem that isn't a road safety issue, with high penalties.

I agree with the sentiment because I frequently get annoyed with muppets sitting in the middle lane on a perfectly empty road, but the method is wrong.

The whole system needs a re-vamp Exos. Lets start by making it compulsory to take your driving tests say every 5 years that should sort the idiots out that think they can drive. I am a beginning to think that courtesy doesn't exist anymore on today's roads.

Actually disagree there, forcing more traffic onto less road space = more accidents.

Actually disagree there, forcing more traffic onto less road space = more accidents.

I'm not sure how it is forcing more traffic into less road space, the road space is constant it's not like it fluctuates as you drive along it. The issue is with management (loosely) of that space, ability, common sense and forcing someone to take an alternate route by moving into the outside lane unnecessarily or indeed undertaking as frequently happens.

Not that I'm perfect by any stretch of the imagination and even I have my moments, but it's not road safety or rather as it's deemed careless driving, it's actually inconsiderate driving and more about courtesy and discipline than anything else.

Last edited:
so im sitting in the middle lane doing 70 mph. Nobody (exept emergency vehicles) can over take me legally so whats the problem?

so im sitting in the middle lane doing 70 mph. Nobody (exept emergency vehicles) can over take me legally so whats the problem?

Probably need to read your highway code them mate ;)

B) The INSIDE LANE (aka) SLOW LANE: This lane is for slow moving vehicles such as lorries, caravans on tow, and vehicles traveling below 65 mph. As a rule, the minimum speed to travel on the motorway is 50 mph, anything below this becomes dangerous unless specified by roadwork signs and traffic flow signals (note: this is not taking into account the weather). Apart from slow moving vehicles, the inside lane is used for entering and exiting the motorway. A good rule of thumb, if you are in the inside lane and are approaching a motorway entrance where vehicles are joining the motorway, indicate and move over to the centre lane to give room to those vehicles trying to get on the motorway. And when leaving the motorway try to manoeuvre to the inside lane a good mile before you need to exit, this will decrease the possibility of needing to cut across traffic to get off the motorway.

C) The CENTER LANE: The average speed of the centre lane is 70 mph. this lane is also used for slow moving vehicles who are overtaking even slower vehicles from the slow lane. A rule of thumb, if you are cruising along in the centre lane and notice in your rear view mirror a vehicle rapidly approaching, the polite thing to do is indicate and move to the slow lane and let this vehicle pass. If the slow lane is unavailable, then you are well within your right to stay in your lane at your speed. Please note at this point, the Highway code is not just a set of rules in a book, it is actually a code of honour amongst drivers, to show courtesy to your fellow driver actually makes the roads a safer place and increases the joy of driving for all. So if at all possible, do not hog the centre lane, if you do not feel like driving at 70 mph the inside lane is there for you.

D) The OVERTAKING LANE: The purpose of this lane is simple, to overtake, nothing more and nothing less. If you are in the centre lane doing 70 mph and a lorry pulls into your lane doing 65 mph because he is overtaking another lorry traveling at 50 mph, you have the outside lane to move to so you may maintain your speed at 70 mph until it is safe to move back to the centre lane. The outside lane is NOT just another lane to drive in, and it is very important to leave this lane free specifically for overtaking. It is actually illegal to Undertake a car (that is to pass a vehicle from the left hand side) so by driving slowly in the outside lane, you would be forcing other drivers to break the law, should they wish to pass you.

Last edited:

Irrespective of the Highway Code, additional 'police' in the form of 'concerned motorists' usually result in greater risks for ALL drivers.

Thanks exos, I thought they made it legal to undertake a couple of years ago?

Sent from my F9S using Tapatalk HD

B) The INSIDE LANE (aka) SLOW LANE: This lane is for slow moving vehicles such as lorries, caravans on tow, and vehicles traveling below 65 mph. As a rule, the minimum speed to travel on the motorway is 50 mph, anything below this becomes dangerous unless specified by roadwork signs and traffic flow signals (note: this is not taking into account the weather). Apart from slow moving vehicles, the inside lane is used for entering and exiting the motorway. A good rule of thumb, if you are in the inside lane and are approaching a motorway entrance where vehicles are joining the motorway, indicate and move over to the centre lane to give room to those vehicles trying to get on the motorway. And when leaving the motorway try to manoeuvre to the outside lane a good mile before you need to exit, this will decrease the possibility of needing to cut across traffic to get off the motorway.

C) The CENTER LANE: The average speed .............................. all possible, do not hog the centre lane, if you do not feel like driving at 70 mph the inside lane is there for you.

D) The OVERTAKING LANE: The purpose of this lane is simple........................................ would be forcing other drivers to break the law, should they wish to pass you.

Is this a copy and paste from the Highway Code ? Surely it should read "inside lane".:err:

Might explain a few accidents though.:)

Correct and delete this post, if you want, shouldn't think too many watching at the mo.:)

Last edited:
This is basically an extra tax on motorists .Everyone knows that safety is not the motivation behind this. Same as using the hard shoulder to ease congestion, Its ok on some motorways, some of the time & anywhere else it is illegal & dangerous(government brought that in to save adding another lane to congested motorways but if its not safe on one motorway then its not safe on any). I, like virtually every other motorist have been frustrated by people sitting in the middle lane but I don't think this will help & chances are, a lot of people will get stung for £100+3points by over zealous police officers having to meet their quota's. Also included in this is to increase £60 fixed penalty to £100 . Obviously not increasing at same rate as earnings or inflation.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

B) The INSIDE LANE (aka) SLOW LANE: This lane is for slow moving vehicles such as lorries, caravans on tow, and vehicles traveling below 65 mph. As a rule, the minimum speed to travel on the motorway is 50 mph, anything below this becomes dangerous unless specified by roadwork signs and traffic flow signals (note: this is not taking into account the weather). Apart from slow moving vehicles, the inside lane is used for entering and exiting the motorway. A good rule of thumb, if you are in the inside lane and are approaching a motorway entrance where vehicles are joining the motorway, indicate and move over to the centre lane to give room to those vehicles trying to get on the motorway. And when leaving the motorway try to manoeuvre to the outside lane a good mile before you need to exit, this will decrease the possibility of needing to cut across traffic to get off the motorway.

C) The CENTER LANE: The average speed of the centre lane is 70 mph. this lane is also used for slow moving vehicles who are overtaking even slower vehicles from the slow lane. A rule of thumb, if you are cruising along in the centre lane and notice in your rear view mirror a vehicle rapidly approaching, the polite thing to do is indicate and move to the slow lane and let this vehicle pass. If the slow lane is unavailable, then you are well within your right to stay in your lane at your speed. Please note at this point, the Highway code is not just a set of rules in a book, it is actually a code of honour amongst drivers, to show courtesy to your fellow driver actually makes the roads a safer place and increases the joy of driving for all. So if at all possible, do not hog the centre lane, if you do not feel like driving at 70 mph the inside lane is there for you.

D) The OVERTAKING LANE: The purpose of this lane is simple, to overtake, nothing more and nothing less. If you are in the centre lane doing 70 mph and a lorry pulls into your lane doing 65 mph because he is overtaking another lorry traveling at 50 mph, you have the outside lane to move to so you may maintain your speed at 70 mph until it is safe to move back to the centre lane. The outside lane is NOT just another lane to drive in, and it is very important to leave this lane free specifically for overtaking. It is actually illegal to Undertake a car (that is to pass a vehicle from the left hand side) so by driving slowly in the outside lane, you would be forcing other drivers to break the law, should they wish to pass you.

So if poor IanB is driving along at 70mph in the middle lane and not causing a problem then he is actually quite legal to do this. Why should he have to move over because some pillock wants to do 80. Isn't the middle lane for overtaking traffic that is slower on the inside lane and for general use? and the outside lane for overtaking the middle lane traffic?. The solution sort the dickheads doing 80mph/90mph upwards out and your problem will be solved.

Back