Motorway middle-lane hoggers to face on-the-spot fines

It's all nonsense, and mostly unpolicable imo..

If I drive and decide to remain in the middle lane ( sometimes it is necessary, usually when the lefthand lane is clogged with HGV lorries, but there are other occasions ) then I will, I also won't be paying any fines, never have, never will.

I personally find it amusing when drivers are swerving all around the road changing lanes constantly thinking they are driving correctly.. it's very amusing.

seems all they will have to do is follow you, if you are in the middle lane tootling along as the 1st lane is full that's fine, but if you are still in the middle lane after a few opportunities to pull in to the left hand lane & don't well you are going to get done, i was having a chat with 2 traffic cops earlier , they didn't seem to bothered tbh, i assumed they did that already , just didn't fine people & give points out

Last edited:
seems all they will have to do is follow you, if you are in the middle lane tootling along as the 1st lane is full that's fine, but if you are still in the middle lane after a few opportunities to pull in to the left hand lane & don't well you are going to get done, i was having a chat with 2 traffic cops earlier , they didn't seem to bothered tbh, i assumed they did that already , just didn't fine people & give points out
Is it normal practice for you to be having a chat with the local Police or was you having your collar felt for some other reason?. ;)

If I am travelling behind a van or 4 x4 travelling in the inside lane at 70mph.

I want be aware of what is going on ahead and I cant see past these vehicles, so I have 4 choices
1) Stay in inside lane and be unaware of what is up ahead (the worst of 3 options for me)
2) Exceed the speed limit by moving to the middle lane and overtaking (breaking the law possible fine and points)
3) Drive in the middle lane at 70mph (now also breaking the law possible fine and points)
4) Drive in the outside lane at 70mph ( perfectly legal and pissing off the people that are moaning about middle lane hoggers)

MIDDLE LANE IS THE SAFE LANE

I have driven in Spain, France, Switzerland, Belgium, and very briefly in Germany.

We are the only country that hog lanes... From the fast lane to the middle lane.

It's nothing to do with fines, it's just curtesy driving. Thinking about the other drivers, I love driving abroad it's like you all know your speed and the other drivers speeds and you move accordingly!!!!!!!!

Small rant there, but you can't change the way a nation thinks so maybe fines is the right way????

Dunno but it's a culture thing

Sent from my iPhone.

I want be aware of what is going on ahead and I cant see past these vehicles, so I have 4 choices
1) Stay in inside lane and be unaware of what is up ahead (the worst of 3 options for me)
2) Exceed the speed limit by moving to the middle lane and overtaking (breaking the law possible fine and points)
3) Drive in the middle lane at 70mph (now also breaking the law possible fine and points)
4) Drive in the outside lane at 70mph ( perfectly legal and pissing off the people that are moaning about middle lane hoggers)

I doubt your choice will make any difference as you will soon be on the hard shoulder having a chat about tailgating!

It's very difficult to reply to this post without breaking DW rules. :Angryfire So I'll just agree with Him Her

I doubt your choice will make any difference as you will soon be on the hard shoulder having a chat about tailgating!

Im confused lol

Is it normal practice for you to be having a chat with the local Police or was you having your collar felt for some other reason?. ;)

i was in the garage & they were in there buying a cuppa (i say "buying " in the loosest terms mind like :LOL:) , they are in quite often

its the overtaking lane mate, nothing else, why do you need to see whats up ahead like? if you are driving correctly at the correct distance apart from the vehicle in front there should be no problem

One way to police middle lane discipline, and tailgating, would be helicopter video. Allowance could then be made for circumstances.

Anybody fancy a license plate on the roof ?...........:)

I have driven in Spain, France, Switzerland, Belgium, and very briefly in Germany.

We are the only country that hog lanes... From the fast lane to the middle lane.

It's nothing to do with fines, it's just curtesy driving. Thinking about the other drivers, I love driving abroad it's like you all know your speed and the other drivers speeds and you move accordingly!!!!!!!!

Small rant there, but you can't change the way a nation thinks so maybe fines is the right way????

Dunno but it's a culture thing

Sent from my iPhone.

They do it in the US as well but in same states its legal to pass on either side so less of an issue. But yes in general, there is less lane hogging on europe through tailgating can be worse then it is in the UK.

What makes you think it is perfectly legal to stay on the outside lane ?
The Middle and Outside Lanes are for overtaking, if you stay in either of these lanes you will be fined !!
The "Middle Lane Hoggers" is just a description of those who do not return to the Inside Lane after overtaking and when it is safe to to so.

While people with your mindset are driving NO LANES ARE SAFE !!

So I assume on 2 lane motorways the same rules will apply to the outside lane?

So I assume on 2 lane motorways the same rules will apply to the outside lane?

Seriously? It should. However, if I put my policeman's hat on (joke!), I reckon you're a bit dodgy so £100 for outside lane transgression then I'll check your tyres and comb-over ;)

TBH, someone has been twittering on about this since last century - I doubt things will change irrespective.

:)

I think this new law also covers outside lane aswell. Basically if your not overtaking you should be in the left hand lane. The third lane is the same as the second but for faster moving traffic.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Does it not seem a strange way to design roads though,3 lanes but you can only really drive in one lol

Back